The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zemtac
CC Veteran

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Zemtac »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Zemtac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft. Sure you can bitch about the odd move, which most of will be cleared out by the time the core is moving into place!!! But when have we had such high end prospect coming up throught the lineup, never. We always traded for others scraps that fortunetely from time to time, like Naslund worked out!!! Burkes trading and drafting the Sedin's set us up for a Decade with the WCE ahead of them (Note: every player on the WCE was a traded player) Again, you win from building from within and this is the best this Franchise has ever had by a wide margin and some Jack Asses don't want to continue on with this trend!!! Only Canuck fans!!!
+ 1
Exfuckingactly
Let's hope Ownership see's it our way!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Zemtac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft.
JB does have some great pieces and it looks like he has some great potential pieces coming as well.

Premier sniper: Brockstar *check*
Potential snipers: Goldenshower + Dahlen

Premier top 2-way centre: BoHo *check*
Another potential top 2-way centre: Gaudette

Premier top faceoff monster, shutdown centre: Sutter *check*

Premier top tuff nasty shut down D-men: Guddy + Tryamkin *check*

Potential first line skilled playmaking centre: Petterson

Potential top 10 starting goaltender: Demko

Potential top 2-way D-man: Juolevi

Potential premier power forwards: Jake + Gadjovich

Potential top 2-way winger: Lind.

The only thing that JB is really missing is a top enforcer that Dorsett kind of left void (which is not too tuff to find) and a top PP quarterback D-man (which is really tuff to find). There's still Pouliot, Stecher and Hutty who could potentially be that top PP D-man, but right now it doesn't look like it'll happen. Pouliot is inconsistent and skating seems suspect at times. Stecher skates and moves the puck well, but is kind of small. Hutty skates well and has great poise, but is also inconsistent and can't really hammer it from the point.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm Premier top tuff nasty shut down D-men: Guddy + Tryamkin *check*
?

This part is in some doubt.

Tryamkin may well become a 'premier top tuff nasty shut down D-man', but he is not *check*, in the sense that he is not playing for the Canucks right now. We have only dearly-held hopes that he might again.

Gudranson is also not *check* in the sense that he is not signed beyond the end of this season. Furthermore, while he is convincingly 'tuff/nasty', the 'premier top shut down part' has yet to materialize.

I agree the rest is encouraging, but the defence -- and pipeline of defencemen -- is cause for concern. The Oilers have a lot of talented forwards, too, and it's not looking so good for them right now. Drafting R. Dahlin would go a long way to rounding things out, but even a genius can't manipulate lottery balls.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Listening to TL on the radio I am not betting on Benning coming back. Never heard a President or what ever title he has, talking like a GM.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 pm This part is in some doubt.

Tryamkin may well become a 'premier top tuff nasty shut down D-man', but he is not *check*, in the sense that he is not playing for the Canucks right now. We have only dearly-held hopes that he might again.

Gudranson is also not *check* in the sense that he is not signed beyond the end of this season. Furthermore, while he is convincingly 'tuff/nasty', the 'premier top shut down part' has yet to materialize.

I agree the rest is encouraging, but the defence -- and pipeline of defencemen -- is cause for concern.
*hehe* Fair point. I was having a bit of fun with the post and I like both Tryamkinsaurus and Guddy, so I just slotted them in.

I forgot 2 I should add:

Premier 2-way versatile forward: Granny *check*

Middle grade flashy forward: Bearcheese. *check* :P
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm Listening to TL on the radio I am not betting on Benning coming back. Never heard a President or what ever title he has, talking like a GM.
Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
I'd rather keep Benning.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Trevor does love to be loved. He even has his Cub 16 ads playing during NFL playoff games. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I thing Benning simply loves his work and although he must like some recognition, don't think it's a big deal.
None the less, we are stuck with this new multi-level management format and it aint goin anywhere now.
Hell, I still can't grasp the concept of having so many asst. coaches. Too many cooks. :crazy:
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
I'd rather keep Benning.
Count me as one that thinks Benning should stay but will end up being given the heave ho. He should hope for a continued strong finish by brock and bo (and to a lesser extent the other prospects of note showing well this year) - that MIGHT save him. While anything with Benning has yet to happen, this club has started to remind me of NFL Washington who have gone steadily downhill since meddling owner Dan Snyder bought the team in '99. Eight head coaches and at least five different gms, always distracted by the latest shiny new FA, and over involvement in player personel decisions etc. Im indifferent to football these days so i could be mistaken, but i dont think washington even has an official gm currently. Anyone think this sort of cockamamy structure that IN mentioned could be coming to Vancouver? Its two different sports and Its not quite at the same stage of disaster but i see parallells between washington and vancouver that, as a fan, are worrisome.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

While it is worrisome that Benning does not have a contract yet, I don't think that Linden speaking to the media is a sign that he is seeking the GM job. My sense has been that Benning is uncomfortable in the media and that he prefers to have Linden do more of the media relations part of the GM job. Linden has been doing this for awhile.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Linc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 am While it is worrisome that Benning does not have a contract yet, I don't think that Linden speaking to the media is a sign that he is seeking the GM job. My sense has been that Benning is uncomfortable in the media and that he prefers to have Linden do more of the media relations part of the GM job. Linden has been doing this for awhile.
Yes and no, unless they specifically have divided up the responsibilities of each role certain questions should be answered by the GM. He is supposed to be the hockey guy while TL is the operations guy.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

In the words of Brian Burke "lame duck".
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am In the words of Brian Burke "lame duck".
Funny thing is Elmer is among a pack of quacking lame duckies. Maybe the owners are tired of paying GMs and coaches for three and four years after they fired them.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:19 am
....Benning has done more good than bad.....
This a defensible position. I happen to disagree, but it is defensible. It is also, however, a good ways short of "Benning is a genius !"

Are you off the genius train ?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My take on the Current State of the Rebuild and our GM is one of positive optimism. Never before have we had so many promising young talents all maturing at the same time. Its been a very good job done by Benning at dafting and an average job done on contracts and trades.

I wonder if he'll be around still when they contend?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think Benning would like a few do overs if you made him drink truth serum. Thankfully the hemorrhaging or picks seemed to have stopped.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”