The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 am this team is butter soft at the moment. Finding toughness who can keep up with today's game is a disappearing commodity
I have suggested that it might be easier to teach pugilism to hockey players than to get thugs to play better hockey. I may be wrong, but has anyone even tried ?
Dude it's either in ya or it isn't. Can't be learned. Just ask the resident CC pugilist - Bubbles. Mind you my money is always on Clark Park when it comes to Bubbles vs Doc
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Or sign Guds, keep Edler and then trade Tanev for prospects/picks. But this team can't lose both for no immediate help on defence.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 am. Mind you my money is always on Clark Park when it comes to Bubbles vs Doc
Just like your tongue? :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 am. Mind you my money is always on Clark Park when it comes to Bubbles vs Doc
Just like your tongue? :lol:
lol no kidding. Those two are in a permanent 71
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

One wonders if there will be five posters on suicide watch if/when Elmer gets the boot at seasons end. For the record I think it’s greasy the way this is playing out but then again there are a handful of other GMs experiencing the same thing so maybe this becomes a bit more of a trend. If there is no chance of landing Brisebois or Fenton or another bright young mind , maybe you bring Elmer back on a short leash. Despite the fact he can’t manage the salary cap worth of shit and has signed some boat anchor contracts he has cleaned up the trades a bit and he has drafted decently. It will be an interesting time in Canucksville over the next 3-6 months regardless.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:46 am One wonders if there will be five posters on suicide watch if/when Elmer gets the boot at seasons end. For the record I think it’s greasy the way this is playing out but then again there are a handful of other GMs experiencing the same thing so maybe this becomes a bit more of a trend. If there is no chance of landing Brisebois or Fenton or another bright young mind , maybe you bring Elmer back on a short leash. Despite the fact he can’t manage the salary cap worth of shit and has signed some boat anchor contracts he has cleaned up the trades a bit and he has drafted decently. It will be an interesting time in Canucksville over the next 3-6 months regardless.
I really doubt Benning gets the axe.

The Aquabros are the ones who told him to spend and build because they wanted a competitive team. And rumours were strong that it was ownership who couldn’t handle a rebuild so the first 18 months of Benning’s tenure were spent in futility. Moreover it was the owners who gave Gillis the free hand to dole out NTC’s like penny candy and Jimbo has had to work around that as well.

Most pundits are raving about the future in vancouver right now. The Canucks forward and goaltending prospect pool is the envy of over half the league.

There are only a pair of real blemishes on Elmer’s body of work over the last (almost) 4 years, and those are Eriksson’s contract, and Sutter’s extension. The former is proving to be overpaid by at least $2M per.....of not $3M, and his term is unbelievably bad. The latter isn’t as overpaid as we like to make it out to be, but Sutter is definitely not coming as advertised.

I don’t know anything about Brisebois or Fenton, but I wouldn’t make a change just yet as I feel like it would just be making a change for the sake of making a change.

Benning should get 2 more years, and if the 2019-20 season isn’t looking good at the Christmas break then give him the axe.
Zemtac
CC Veteran

Post by Zemtac »

Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft. Sure you can bitch about the odd move, which most of will be cleared out by the time the core is moving into place!!! But when have we had such high end prospect coming up throught the lineup, never. We always traded for others scraps that fortunetely from time to time, like Naslund worked out!!! Burkes trading and drafting the Sedin's set us up for a Decade with the WCE ahead of them (Note: every player on the WCE was a traded player) Again, you win from building from within and this is the best this Franchise has ever had by a wide margin and some Jack Asses don't want to continue on with this trend!!! Only Canuck fans!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Zemtac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft. Sure you can bitch about the odd move, which most of will be cleared out by the time the core is moving into place!!! But when have we had such high end prospect coming up throught the lineup, never. We always traded for others scraps that fortunetely from time to time, like Naslund worked out!!! Burkes trading and drafting the Sedin's set us up for a Decade with the WCE ahead of them (Note: every player on the WCE was a traded player) Again, you win from building from within and this is the best this Franchise has ever had by a wide margin and some Jack Asses don't want to continue on with this trend!!! Only Canuck fans!!!
+ 1
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Zemtac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft. Sure you can bitch about the odd move, which most of will be cleared out by the time the core is moving into place!!! But when have we had such high end prospect coming up throught the lineup, never. We always traded for others scraps that fortunetely from time to time, like Naslund worked out!!! Burkes trading and drafting the Sedin's set us up for a Decade with the WCE ahead of them (Note: every player on the WCE was a traded player) Again, you win from building from within and this is the best this Franchise has ever had by a wide margin and some Jack Asses don't want to continue on with this trend!!! Only Canuck fans!!!
+ 1
Exfuckingactly
Zemtac
CC Veteran

Post by Zemtac »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm
+ 1
Exfuckingactly
Let's hope Ownership see's it our way!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Zemtac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft.
JB does have some great pieces and it looks like he has some great potential pieces coming as well.

Premier sniper: Brockstar *check*
Potential snipers: Goldenshower + Dahlen

Premier top 2-way centre: BoHo *check*
Another potential top 2-way centre: Gaudette

Premier top faceoff monster, shutdown centre: Sutter *check*

Premier top tuff nasty shut down D-men: Guddy + Tryamkin *check*

Potential first line skilled playmaking centre: Petterson

Potential top 10 starting goaltender: Demko

Potential top 2-way D-man: Juolevi

Potential premier power forwards: Jake + Gadjovich

Potential top 2-way winger: Lind.

The only thing that JB is really missing is a top enforcer that Dorsett kind of left void (which is not too tuff to find) and a top PP quarterback D-man (which is really tuff to find). There's still Pouliot, Stecher and Hutty who could potentially be that top PP D-man, but right now it doesn't look like it'll happen. Pouliot is inconsistent and skating seems suspect at times. Stecher skates and moves the puck well, but is kind of small. Hutty skates well and has great poise, but is also inconsistent and can't really hammer it from the point.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm Premier top tuff nasty shut down D-men: Guddy + Tryamkin *check*
?

This part is in some doubt.

Tryamkin may well become a 'premier top tuff nasty shut down D-man', but he is not *check*, in the sense that he is not playing for the Canucks right now. We have only dearly-held hopes that he might again.

Gudranson is also not *check* in the sense that he is not signed beyond the end of this season. Furthermore, while he is convincingly 'tuff/nasty', the 'premier top shut down part' has yet to materialize.

I agree the rest is encouraging, but the defence -- and pipeline of defencemen -- is cause for concern. The Oilers have a lot of talented forwards, too, and it's not looking so good for them right now. Drafting R. Dahlin would go a long way to rounding things out, but even a genius can't manipulate lottery balls.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Listening to TL on the radio I am not betting on Benning coming back. Never heard a President or what ever title he has, talking like a GM.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 pm This part is in some doubt.

Tryamkin may well become a 'premier top tuff nasty shut down D-man', but he is not *check*, in the sense that he is not playing for the Canucks right now. We have only dearly-held hopes that he might again.

Gudranson is also not *check* in the sense that he is not signed beyond the end of this season. Furthermore, while he is convincingly 'tuff/nasty', the 'premier top shut down part' has yet to materialize.

I agree the rest is encouraging, but the defence -- and pipeline of defencemen -- is cause for concern.
*hehe* Fair point. I was having a bit of fun with the post and I like both Tryamkinsaurus and Guddy, so I just slotted them in.

I forgot 2 I should add:

Premier 2-way versatile forward: Granny *check*

Middle grade flashy forward: Bearcheese. *check* :P
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm Listening to TL on the radio I am not betting on Benning coming back. Never heard a President or what ever title he has, talking like a GM.
Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
I'd rather keep Benning.