The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 am ...and to think that Doyle wanted Konecny!

:D
Brutal eh
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:05 pm Whaddya mean I change the subject? :mex:
... 🥸

Since when has the subject made any difference? 😝
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

So a post I made in another thread got me thinking of Benning.

In 2 years, the lineup could potentially be

JT - Petey - Boesser
Podkolzin - Horvat - Hoglander
Motte - Gaudette - Virtanen
Gadovich - Lockwood- Lind

Hughes - Schmidt
Joulevi- Meyers
Edler - Rathbone

Demko
Depetrio

... no real order to the lineup but just looking at the composition (and there will probably be a UFA bottom 6 signed in there somewhere)

But, only 2-3 forwards and 2-3 defenceman (so like 4-6players) will NOT be drafted by the team. If there are any surprise developments from youth, it could be less..

Damn. I think ‘The Plan’ has taken shape.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Some of my favourite CC memories are Doyle’s obsession with Jamie McGinn and how bad he wanted him to be a Canuck. Ole Doyle loves Lunchbucket
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Is this debate over, then?

Is there anyone left here who thinks the 2021-2022 Canucks are the culmination of eight years of hockey management genius?

If so, how do you reconcile that position with the team's record?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 pm Is this debate over, then?

Is there anyone left here who thinks the 2021-2022 Canucks are the culmination of eight years of hockey management genius?

An errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 pm Is this debate over, then?

RG just took a dump on the Chef’s pirate chest
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 am
RG just took a dump on the Chef’s pirate chest
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:41 am So a post I made in another thread got me thinking of Benning.

JT - Petey - Boesser

Hughes - Schmidt
Joulevi- Meyers
Edler - Rathbone

Demko
Depetrio

... no real order to the lineup but just looking at the composition (and there will probably be a UFA bottom 6 signed in there somewhere)

But, only 2-3 forwards and 2-3 defenceman (so like 4-6players) will NOT be drafted by the team. If there are any surprise developments from youth, it could be less..

I don't think your 2 year plan is looking so good, 5 of those younger drafted players aren't even with the organization just under 9 months later. Some plan.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:46 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:41 am So a post I made in another thread got me thinking of Benning.

JT - Petey - Boesser

Hughes - Schmidt
Joulevi- Meyers
Edler - Rathbone

Demko
Depetrio

I don't think your 2 year plan is looking so good, 5 of those younger drafted players aren't even with the organization just under 9 months later. Some plan.
That's some pretty damn good 20/20 hindsight right there!! Well done! If you could show me your post where you replied 8 months ago to point out they would suck this bad now, I will be more impressed!

... but at the time, it was accurate. It sure is easy make yourself look good by hacking on them when they are losing so bad. The team still has 6-7 regulars and a couple more coming through the system, so the 'draft and develop' storyline is in place. Just a plain old lack of talent or drive for these guys now.. Need a culture change.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:57 am
The team still has 6-7 regulars and a couple more coming through the system, so the 'draft and develop' storyline is in place. Just a plain old lack of talent or drive for these guys now.. Need a culture change.
Agree with this, the team has a good core just some personal changes are needed. Move a core piece out and a new one coming in but fills a role that is currently lacking on the team.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

2Fingers wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am
The team still has 6-7 regulars and a couple more coming through the system, so the 'draft and develop' storyline is in place. Just a plain old lack of talent or drive for these guys now.. Need a culture change.

If you could show me your post where you replied 8 months ago to point out they would suck this bad now, I will be more impressed!
Agree with this, the team has a good core just some personal changes are needed. Move a core piece out and a new one coming in but fills a role that is currently lacking on the team.
I never thought they would suck this badly. The worst I feared was that The Plan, such as it was either advertised or inferred, would not be sufficient to make the Canucks strong contenders again.

But I have been skeptical of The Plan since I first read the words "re-tool on the fly" seven and a half years ago. Are you -- either of you -- saying that, in spite of what you've seen, you still have faith in Jim Benning's vision for the team? If so, how much more time do you think he needs?

But I guess you've answered my question: no, the debate is not over, and he still has adherents. What would it take to convince you that the Benning Plan is just not going to work ?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

:sly: ^^^errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill^^^

Errand Boy would’ve preferred the “Ottawa Senators” plan
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:46 am

JT - Petey - Boesser

Hughes - Schmidt
Joulevi- Meyers
Edler - Rathbone

Demko
Depetrio

That's some pretty damn good 20/20 hindsight right there!! Well done! If you could show me your post where you replied 8 months ago to point out they would suck this bad now, I will be more impressed!

... but at the time, it was accurate. It sure is easy make yourself look good by hacking on them when they are losing so bad. The team still has 6-7 regulars and a couple more coming through the system, so the 'draft and develop' storyline is in place. Just a plain old lack of talent or drive for these guys now.. Need a culture change.
Lol, relax, I know the feeling. I held out hope for all those guys, even Juolevi, as recent as last season too. I also thought they'd make the playoffs last season and sure as hell would this year, and it's all in print here. How do you define "draft and develop"? Demko is the only player on the roster to have come up through the system. It's like I commented after one of Chef's posts, after giving Benning and the crew the benefit of the doubt and hoping for the best, sometimes you just have to take the "L" and move on and in this case, it's probably long overdue given the fact their cumulative record over the past several years is near the bottom of the NHL.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 am
2Fingers wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am

If you could show me your post where you replied 8 months ago to point out they would suck this bad now, I will be more impressed!
I never thought they would suck this badly. The worst I feared was that The Plan, such as it was either advertised or inferred, would not be sufficient to make the Canucks strong contenders again.

But I have been skeptical of The Plan since I first read the words "re-tool on the fly" seven and a half years ago. Are you -- either of you -- saying that, in spite of what you've seen, you still have faith in Jim Benning's vision for the team? If so, how much more time do you think he needs?

But I guess you've answered my question: no, the debate is not over, and he still has adherents. What would it take to convince you that the Benning Plan is just not going to work ?
FYI - I do not want JB to do this, I am just saying there are some good players on this team and they DO NOT need to sell everything and start all over again. Just not with JB or TG on the team or even in the organization.