The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:23 goals for Grabner! WTF Gillis?
You seem to be confused. I think the thread you want is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10257&start=15
RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Elmer doesn't feel an urgent need to upgrade the young talent pool on the team of coming up through the system. He said there's more than enough young talent. He said that gem last week and Botchford reported it in the provies. You can't even make this shit up with this guy.
After the horrific collapsing of the pre-Benning Canucks by the lone Architect of it - Mike Gillis, a team Mike inherited so rich in potential thank you to the fine workings in the accumalation of exvellent young talented hockey players by the previous GMs, our new fearless leader - Benning, who inherited Mikes team, a team totally decimated of any quality and quantity in young talented players a team filled with only old men past their prime with untradeable contracts, how could one forsee this ship being righted over night?
If the team was as bad as you say, shouldn't it have been obvious that a "re-tool on the fly" was impossible, and only a full re-build could return them to contention ?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As usual you missed the point. Elmer said the organization is chock full of young talent and doesn't need to add any more youngsters.
Can you for the life of you just give Bro-Benning the fucking time and space to work shit out? He's been here, what? 2.5 years? You are a smart man, Blob, it baffles me that you take everything he says as the gospel. He's in a no win situation. Trying to keep everyone happy, the owners, the Sedins, the legendary fickle Canuck fans who only go to the arena when we are winning, the moronic pile-on vancouver sports media. How the hell is that easy? Especially with the mess he walked into?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:23 goals for Grabner! WTF Gillis?
You seem to be confused. I think the thread you want is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10257&start=15
RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Elmer doesn't feel an urgent need to upgrade the young talent pool on the team of coming up through the system. He said there's more than enough young talent. He said that gem last week and Botchford reported it in the provies. You can't even make this shit up with this guy.
After the horrific collapsing of the pre-Benning Canucks by the lone Architect of it - Mike Gillis, a team Mike inherited so rich in potential thank you to the fine workings in the accumalation of exvellent young talented hockey players by the previous GMs, our new fearless leader - Benning, who inherited Mikes team, a team totally decimated of any quality and quantity in young talented players a team filled with only old men past their prime with untradeable contracts, how could one forsee this ship being righted over night?
If the team was as bad as you say, shouldn't it have been obvious that a "re-tool on the fly" was impossible, and only a full re-build could return them to contention ?
"Hey Henrik, Hey Daniel and all of you vets on fat untradeable contracts. We are tanking. Hey Francesco, screw your playoff revenues"

Shell Bussy - "just that easy folks"

The only way they could have gone full loser culture rebuild was to trade the Sedins. Just that easy folks. Oh and how is that loser culture doing for the Avalanche with 3 top 3 picks in the last 7 drafts and on their way to their 4th top 3 pick? You know damn well that this city would not put up with the shit that's gone on in Colorado since Duschene was drafted 3rd overall 8 years ago.

It amazes me that some of you still don't get it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:Can you for the life of you just give Bro-Benning the fucking time and space to work shit out? He's been here, what? 2.5 years?
It might look to you like I'm criticizing Benning's work. I'm not. I agree it's too early to do that. For example, it's too soon to assess the quality of his drafting. There's still a good chance Virtanen finds a pro game, Gudbranson may yet turn out to be more valuable than any player drafted after McCann, and we probably won't know if Juolevi is a more valuable hockey player than Tkachuk for another 4 years.

One thing we can see now is his contracts, but I'm willing to buy Doc's argument that interim, place-holder contracts don't really affect the long-term strategy.

Another thing in front of us now is asset management, which has been...disconcerting. I could see an argument for a long game in which honouring various trade-restricting agreements makes Vancouver a more attractive destination for free agents, yet he seemed pretty ruthless in showing Garrison the door, which doesn't appear consistent with that policy. But again, there may be factors at work there to which fans are not privy.

What I feel I can criticize, because it's in front of us now, and supposedly public information, is the stated plan, and how well the plan is being executed.
RoyalDude wrote: Hey Francesco, screw your playoff revenues"
To the extent that it is not Benning's plan, he is not responsible for it. To the extent that the owners are directing the hockey plan, the organization is in trouble.
RoyalDude wrote:The only way they could have gone full loser culture rebuild was to trade the Sedins.
And yet they seem to be doing a pretty good job of losing for the last couple of seasons. That is to say, the stated plan is not being executed.

Is Benning (and maybe Linden) actually running a cunning Stealth Tank, while keeping his real plan from the owners and the fans ? I would be happy to give him credit for the double brilliance of having to execute his plan on the sly, but our organization insider, Hockey Widow, insists that is not the case. Or should we infer that this just means that his security is so tight that HW's sources aren't in on it ?
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Post by Zedlee »

To me, this trade deadline is crucial and will tell us a lot about the courage and vision of Benning and Linden.

We are not a playoff team...that's obvious now. IMO they MUST try and trade Burrows, Miller and Hansen. I love Hansen but he's our most valuable asset...he should be able to get a good draft pick and prospect for him. And Miller...playing great and a UFA. We surely can't lose our UFA's for nothing, again?
Mr.Miyagi
CC Veteran

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Zedlee wrote:To me, this trade deadline is crucial and will tell us a lot about the courage and vision of Benning and Linden.

We are not a playoff team...that's obvious now. IMO they MUST try and trade Burrows, Miller and Hansen. I love Hansen but he's our most valuable asset...he should be able to get a good draft pick and prospect for him. And Miller...playing great and a UFA. We surely can't lose our UFA's for nothing, again?
I agree. Much more of a market out there for Hansen and Burrows if they will waive. I can see Miller staying in Vancouver this season and possibly the next couple as well if the price is right.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:As usual you missed the point. Elmer said the organization is chock full of young talent and doesn't need to add any more youngsters.
Can you for the life of you just give Bro-Benning the fucking time and space to work shit out? He's been here, what? 2.5 years? You are a smart man, Blob, it baffles me that you take everything he says as the gospel. He's in a no win situation. Trying to keep everyone happy, the owners, the Sedins, the legendary fickle Canuck fans who only go to the arena when we are winning, the moronic pile-on vancouver sports media. How the hell is that easy? Especially with the mess he walked into?
Again you are missing the point. He shouldn't be bumping his gums about abottom five prospect pool. Just say nothing for fuck sakes. Help yourself Elmer , don't open your yap
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Zedlee wrote:To me, this trade deadline is crucial and will tell us a lot about the courage and vision of Benning and Linden.

Between the 3 players you mention having NTCs and the upcoming expansion draft, I'm not expecting a lot at this TDD. To me, it will have nothing to do with the courage and visions of management.

If any of these guys waive, and waive to teams that are willing to deal, and those teams are willing to make a reasonable return for any of these guys - I'm sure Benning will pull the trigger. Most of this will be out his control, and yet when he doesn't trade a guy for a 6th round pick, he'll get raked over the coals by a few people here because he "lacks courage and vision".
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Again you are missing the point. He shouldn't be bumping his gums about abottom five prospect pool. Just say nothing for fuck sakes. Help yourself Elmer , don't open your yap
Blobby said that Botch said that Elmer said

... "We've got all we'll ever need in our prospect pool now h'yuk!" :scowl:

Fake. News.

Thanks for making me look up the actual interview:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jim ... -1.3964190

"We're not going to give away draft picks at the [NHL's March 1 trade] deadline," the third-year general manager said over the phone from Vancouver earlier this week. "Our long-term strategy is to draft and develop our own players to get to where we need to be.

"We've got enough young players on our team and coming [through the system] that I don't think there is urgency to upgrade the talent pool.

"We needed to bring in a new core group of players in the 22-28 range," Benning recalled. "There was a gap in talent that needed to be filled…”
Botch took that middle paragraph all by its lonesome... completely out of context.

Googling led me to... that site... and I notice the inmates happily gobbled it up as is.

(they thank The Botched One for yet another weapon in their war against Not-My-GM)

You should really stop reading over there Blob, your IQ can't take many more hits like this!

In context Benning is saying "Yeah I gave up picks in the past to build up a depleted age group

... but no more need for that. Our long-term strategy is to draft and develop our own players"

Exactly the opposite of what Botch and the HeavilyFucked folk are saying he said! :crazy:

Which begs the question:

Are you are spreading these lies on purpose... or has your IQ sunk that low?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol I didn't get it from the cesspool.

The provies are a good read now and then with some decent video. Crotchy is a pinch hitter there and tbqh I ain't a huge fan but if nothing else he provides a different viewpoint than the housepets MacIntyre and Boozema.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Again you are missing the point. He shouldn't be bumping his gums about abottom five prospect pool. Just say nothing for fuck sakes. Help yourself Elmer , don't open your yap
Blobby said that Botch said that Elmer said

... "We've got all we'll ever need in our prospect pool now h'yuk!" :scowl:

Fake. News.

Thanks for making me look up the actual interview:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jim ... -1.3964190

"We're not going to give away draft picks at the [NHL's March 1 trade] deadline," the third-year general manager said over the phone from Vancouver earlier this week. "Our long-term strategy is to draft and develop our own players to get to where we need to be.

"We've got enough young players on our team and coming [through the system] that I don't think there is urgency to upgrade the talent pool.

"We needed to bring in a new core group of players in the 22-28 range," Benning recalled. "There was a gap in talent that needed to be filled…”
Botch took that middle paragraph all by its lonesome... completely out of context.

Googling led me to... that site... and I notice the inmates happily gobbled it up as is.

(they thank The Botched One for yet another weapon in their war against Not-My-GM)

You should really stop reading over there Blob, your IQ can't take many more hits like this!

In context Benning is saying "Yeah I gave up picks in the past to build up a depleted age group

... but no more need for that. Our long-term strategy is to draft and develop our own players"

Exactly the opposite of what Botch and the HeavilyFucked folk are saying he said! :crazy:

Which begs the question:

Are you are spreading these lies on purpose... or has your IQ sunk that low?
Excellent research, Doc. Excellent!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What Elmer should have said is: "I pissed away picks to fill in an age gap and and in doing so I will leave a future age gap for the next GM."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What Elmer should have said is: "I pissed away picks to fill in an age gap and and in doing so I will leave a future age gap for the next GM."
Sorry but our youth has never looked this good since well before Gillis showed up, when the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows. Luongo, Bieksa etc were young lads. Benning is trying his damnedest to right a ship that Gillis scuttled. Gillis broke the chain. Every GM prior always managed to provide new elite talent for fading elite talent to pass the torch to - The Linden/Bure era torch passed to the Bertuzzi/Naslund era torch passed to the Sedin/Kesler era passed to the....hmmm....the chain is broken...hence the Gillis legacy, sorry Benning you are on your own here to fix the chain that Gillis broke.

Out of Mike Gillis' 13 - 1st and 2nd round draft picks combined in 6 years of drafting all we have that is decent is - Bo Horvat. Ouch. Not enough elite from the Gillis era, sorry Benning
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You should be sorry.

For constantly trying to talk up one of the lousiest prospect pools in the league . There isn't a single player in Utica that could step into this lineup which btw is a bottom 3 team. That's horrendous!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:You should be sorry.

For constantly trying to talk up one of the lousiest prospect pools in the league . There isn't a single player in Utica that could step into this lineup which btw is a bottom 3 team. That's horrendous!!
Wait til Boeser, Gaudette, Brisebios, Lockwood, Neill, McKenzie, Juolevi arrive. Patience Grasshopper