2016 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm not sure which sources you're reading. If the Canucks wanted Hamhuis to be a mentor for the rest of the season, and valued him as a player and a human(as he expressed a desire to stay and only reluctantly waived his NTC for the good of the franchise) he would have never been shopped in the first place.

But whatever, keep using your keen hockey sense to try and find silver linings in yesterday's mess.
If the Canucks wanted Hamhuis as a mentor for the kids, and the knew that he wanted to stay in Vancouver and was open to the idea of leaving for a few months and then coming back to Vancouver in July, AND admitting that the playoffs are probably out of reach.....

They definitely would shop him. There are 21 games left. The kids would be fine learning from Edler, Burrows, and the Sedins until April. Then Hamhuis comes back for next year to be that mentor again.

As for valuing him as a player and human.....it's a business. They showed him that courtesy by not pressuring him, just simply asking him where and where not and honouring that.

The real answer as to whether he is seen as a piece of the Canucks future will come in the form of an extension.....or lack thereof.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

rats19 wrote: Ahhhh, so patience again...I see
Necessary to be a Canucks fan!

Willie gets, at most, one more year IMO.

Green is doing good things in Utica and the Canucks won't want to lose him.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

It may be trite but a trade can't happen without having a trading partner and the Canucks other than kids had limited number of veterans available. Higgins was dead in the water from day one by virtue of his contract. Prust had limited value and injuries and losing a step takes him out of the equation. Vrbata is a known playoff floater and his effort this year makes him hardly worth the risk. Edler is hurt. Miller is an off season deal at best.

Hamhuis by virtue of his contract could rightfully limit where he would go, Chicago decided their number one priority was a forward, and without unloading Bickell couldn't fit Hamhuis under the cap. Which leaves Dallas who targeted two dmen, and most likely took the one they had to pay the least for and whom they had a chance of resigning if he works out. On the other hand if what Willis says is true, that ownership vetoed a deal that was in place, it's hardly Bennings fault. Good on him for not taking a token subsequent offer for Hamhuis after the Russel deal was concluded.

It's business and the Canucks were hardly in the driver's seat given what they had to offer to contending teams at the deadline and every GM in the league knew it. Onward to the draft.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Arachnid wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
It's hilarious watching you suck up to Strangelove [mod edit]

I miss those days, what a whipped dog you've become.
He's not quite "himself" anymore although I think I can see Peter Sellers ankle hanging out of his ass
Just to be safe...
I wouldn't show any emotion until you know for sure
What the fuck is this stupid shit...
Imposter! Where's spideys husk you bastard!
If you need air...call it in
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

I think it's OK to be these two things at once:

1) Disappointed that the Canucks were unable to turn expiring UFA contracts into tangible assets like other teams were.

2) Understanding of the fact that no one wanted Vrbata and the "Magnificent Seven" and it was horrible luck that Hamhuis only agreed to go to two teams who both decided to go in a different direction instead of dancing with the Canucks.

In the real world things sometimes go in the opposite direction you would like them too and that doesn't make you an incompetent bum.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:lol not hiding... Arachnid brought up the pundits saying the Canucks didn't fail, when in fact the opposite is true.

That's fine you guys are fine with the day, most people think it was botched.
Fail is such a definitive word. Are the Canucks still in the NHL, yes. They haven't failed.
I guess the Oilers are set.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

People have to remember that there will be at least 15 teams in severe cap trouble next season, so there is the potential to get some really good deals via trade or signing other teams RFA's... Benning and Linden have a plan, just have to be patient until it all unfolds...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Groovypippin wrote:In the real world things sometimes go in the opposite direction you would like them too and that doesn't make you an incompetent bum.
You know... it's really hard to get the fan base riled up with an attitude like that!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TDA Rum wrote:People have to remember that there will be at least 15 teams in severe cap trouble next season, so there is the potential to get some really good deals via trade or signing other teams RFA's... Benning and Linden have a plan, just have to be patient until it all unfolds...
Stop making sense!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Acutally, MOST hockey pundits are labelling Benning's day as ranging between disapointing and inexcusable and even trouble from above. I'm not sure which sources you're reading. If the Canucks wanted Hamhuis to be a mentor for the rest of the season, and valued him as a player and a human(as he expressed a desire to stay and only reluctantly waived his NTC for the good of the franchise) he would have never been shopped in the first place.

STOP! You had me at "Actually, MOST hockey pundits"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

TDA Rum wrote:People have to remember that there will be at least 15 teams in severe cap trouble next season, so there is the potential to get some really good deals via trade or signing other teams RFA's... Benning and Linden have a plan, just have to be patient until it all unfolds...
Bullshit.... That just pisses me off :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

.....what 's the value of pierre junior' peso?
.....what will the cap be next year?
.....how much whining will the PA do about escrow?

Cap space is especially valuable heading into next season.......but don't tell the teabaggers. They won't listen.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Johannson, Barrie, Killorn, Gudbranson, Schwartz, Kreider, Mackinnon, Trouba, Wilson, Kucherov and many more... are all RFA's...

Canucks also have their own 1st,2nd, & 3rd picks next year for compensation if they offer sheet...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I guess the Oilers are set.
Please!

If we turn into the Oilers I'll be pissing my pants right along with you.

They are proof positive that having a ton of high picks isn't always the answer to build a contending team.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: I guess the Oilers are set.
Please!

If we turn into the Oilers I'll be pissing my pants right along with you.

They are proof positive that having a ton of high picks isn't always the answer to build a contending team.
But it sure helps...

Shitty management can overcome great opportunity - anytime!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."