Champions Hockey League

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Champions Hockey League

Post by Per »

You may recall that way back I have posted about the Nordic Trophy, basically a pre-season tournament between six Finnish and six Swedish teams, that developed into the European Trophy by adding more teams from around the continent. This has now become the Champions Hockey League, an attempt to copy the success of UEFA's hugely popular Champions League. It now involves 48 teams from 10 nations, and the pre-season is no longer enough. They do the round robin thng in the pre-season, but the playoffs are spread over the season.

Last night the final of the second season of this tournament was played, with Finnish Oulun Kärpät squaring off against Sweden's Frölunda Indians. The Gothenburg team prevailed, beating the Finns 2-1 in regulation, allowing their captain Joel Lundqvist (Henrik's brother) to hoist the cup.

Tömmernes assisted on the game winning goal.

Highlights: https://www.championshockeyleague.net/v ... burg/2417/
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Champions Hockey League

Post by Per »

Btw, the cup they hoist is still called the European Trophy, even though the tournament is now called the Champions Hockey League.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

They called themselves the CHL? :lol:

Are KHL teams involved?

Didn't you already start a thread about European hockey? "Across the Pond" or something? Do we need two?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote:They called themselves the CHL? :lol:

Are KHL teams involved?
Nope. The countries involved in this tournament are Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Denmark, Great Britain, France, Belarus and Norway.

But a few years back, when it was still called the European Trophy, they did talk about a possible future playoff between the European Trophy and the Gagarin Cup winners.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lame. The best league in Europe isn't represented.

Some "Champions" league.

It's just like the UEFA Champions League except none of the best teams, leagues or players are featured and nobody cares. :lol:

Maybe Ornskoldfrododork can finally replace Edmonton as the City of Champions. They are both equally desirable places to live.

I would also like to add that I think it's disgusting that you chose to post Frolunda's unabashedly racist team name. The Indians? Shameful. You're lucky that there is little chance anyone will open or read this thread. :mex:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote: I would also like to add that I think it's disgusting that you chose to post Frolunda's unabashedly racist team name. The Indians? Shameful. You're lucky that there is little chance anyone will open or read this thread. :mex:
Lol! Yeah, that's a really stupid name. They should get rid of it as well as the indian head on their jerseys.
For the record, I actually played JV basketball for the Stratford Indians during my stint in Iowa... :|
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I would also like to add that I think it's disgusting that you chose to post Frolunda's unabashedly racist team name. The Indians? Shameful. You're lucky that there is little chance anyone will open or read this thread. :mex:
Lol! Yeah, that's a really stupid name. They should get rid of it as well as the indian head on their jerseys.
For the record, I actually played JV basketball for the Stratford Indians during my stint in Iowa... :|
For real?

That's cool, was Bernie Sanders your point guard?

:)

Just breaking your balls about your gay league Per. :wink:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

is it possible to send the Allen cup team? I'm sure there is an elbow to the head to be had here ...