Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Lancer »

Willie was in over his head from the get-go. He got outfoxed too many times by opposition coaches and was too stubborn to change things up in a game when everyone knew it had to happen. I never saw him as the kind of coach that would take a team from a rebuild and coach it to contention.

Regarding the kids, there were definitely mixed messages but I don't think he and management were on the same page. Management gave him kids to play (even when some kids shouldn't have been there) and he leaned on his vets for wins. I think part of it was he wanted to shelter the kids from the pressure and the harder match-ups (ie-vets on the 1st PP, getting all that ice-time) we saw when Horvat was thrust into those situations he struggled at times. Problem is you never know how they will fare unless you try. Boeser and Goldobin were total management decisions and Willie had his marching orders.

I feel for him a bit because he bought into the compete and re-tool on the fly. It flopped and he failed. Now that management is going into the rebuild, how can he stay on?

We'll see who comes in afterward, but at least that person should have a simpler mandate from management.

RiP Willie.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am fairly indifferent to Willie. Someone had to coach us through the Twinsition, And that someone was never going to be coach going forward... transition coaches never survive. Nature of the beast is when your the hatchet man, the hatchet always ends with you. I honestly would have canned him next season as why would you want to put your new coach In a 75-80 point position where he misses the playoffs And the media starts the roast again?!??

Willie did an ok job here. No team has ever flushed 80 players through a team in 2 years and been successful.

When you look at the injuries we suffered, and the skill level (or lack thereof) of the replacements, he did a great job. This team could have easily been a 50 point team this year, but we competed in almost every game.. what was it, 60 odd times it was a 1 goal game going into the third?? Keeping players developing, motivated and working hard was his job, and he did that.

Sure he was out coached in situations, but he did develop young guys..

Could we have had a better coach through the last 3 years? Yes.
Could that coach have gotten us to the playoffs? -- prolly not.. not with the talent level we had, and the injuries we sustained.

Could we have had a way worse coach who watched us get slaughtered a'la Oilers/Toronto for 10 years?? Yup.

I dont hold the results on Willie. He is a scapegoat who was goated a year early.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't know if Willy was fired a year too early. Apparently the Canucks initially offered him three years but the Pens countered with four. Willie wanted four. Benning wanted Willie. Willie got four. But Willie got fired after three. So maybe the plan all along was he was their three year transitional coach on a four year deal and in order to get his fourth year he had to do more than he did.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wasn't the Pens offer only 2 years? with no authority to hire own assistants, so WD jumped at the 4.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Wasn't the Pens offer only 2 years? with no authority to hire own assistants, so WD jumped at the 4.
You could be right SKYO, you usually are!
The only HW the Canucks need
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I am fairly indifferent to Willie. Someone had to coach us through the Twinsition, And that someone was never going to be coach going forward... transition coaches never survive. Nature of the beast is when your the hatchet man, the hatchet always ends with you. I honestly would have canned him next season as why would you want to put your new coach In a 75-80 point position where he misses the playoffs And the media starts the roast again?!??

Willie did an ok job here. No team has ever flushed 80 players through a team in 2 years and been successful.

When you look at the injuries we suffered, and the skill level (or lack thereof) of the replacements, he did a great job. This team could have easily been a 50 point team this year, but we competed in almost every game.. what was it, 60 odd times it was a 1 goal game going into the third?? Keeping players developing, motivated and working hard was his job, and he did that.

Sure he was out coached in situations, but he did develop young guys..

Could we have had a better coach through the last 3 years? Yes.
Could that coach have gotten us to the playoffs? -- prolly not.. not with the talent level we had, and the injuries we sustained.

Could we have had a way worse coach who watched us get slaughtered a'la Oilers/Toronto for 10 years?? Yup.

I dont hold the results on Willie. He is a scapegoat who was goated a year early.
Absolutely nailed it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Regardless of who comes in next year, I don't expect much. This team is several years away from being competitive. Best we can hope for is continued transition toward and development of young players.

I'm guessing they go for an experienced coach this time. Praying it's not Ruff. Got a suspicion it's Crawford. We'll see.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Willy was weak. Willy was stupid. Willy is dead.

:mex:

In all seriousness though, Willy is stupid and stubborn.

A bad combination.

He did some good things with some of the kids I suppose.

And it seems he was a good motivator.

But coaches are hired to be fired, especially during a rebuild.

Willy was a really nice guy (part of his problem).

NEXT :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

WD was forced in many situations to use youth because of injuries, I can understand why as he wants to win and stay as a head coach. Who wouldn't? But like many other coaches when he had opportunity to do things different he didnt, i.e. using the Sedin's on the PP, to be honest the Sedin's should not have seen any PP the last 10 games, he should of also mixed things up.

I know he is not my coach but watching him behind the bench moving around like a Mexican jumping bean I just cannot see that distilling any confidence in the players. This is just my opinion as I am not on the bench so have no idea on what is going on.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I'm sure all the banter about deployment of vets and youth, passing of the torch stuff, probably weighed into this decision but I think there were more basic errors that really "clipped" Willie and his staff.

Line changing, in general, has been God awful. Glaringly bad. Those too many men penalties and getting caught out of position because of slow changes leading to goals against are the kind of thing that makes blood pressure rise in the press box.
Also, this staff has been so worried about what their going to attempt to start a game with, they have consistently not been doing the proper scouting and have so dreadfully been unprepared for what their opponents would be bringing.
Hence the team so many times ended up down a goal or two and always trying to catch up.

This part of it has nothing to do with vets and youth, it's just not directing enough attention in critical areas.
"evolution"