Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/will ... an-miller/

So, with Hansen and Alexandre Burrows traded for youth and picks, is it now safe to say the Canucks are in the midst of a rebuild?

"I think you can use whatever word you want," Linden said. "It maybe hasn't happened as fast as some people have wanted... but I'm really excited about where we're going."
So I guess the retool failed. Trev and JB basically wasted 3 years when they could have blown it up, not sign guys like Verbeta, Eriksson and Millzy and increase our odds in the McJesus and Matthews/Laine sweepstakes.
No

They would have had to trade the Sedins to go full rebuild 3 years ago. Is that too hard to understand?
Hey, Dude, question for you.
I could read back but since your here:

How did you feel when Kesler wanted out?

I was all in for trying to trade the Sedins at that point but I remember the majority of fans in this town didn't seem ready...
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: They would have had to trade the Sedins to go full rebuild 3 years ago. Is that too hard to understand?
lol what a load...

In 13/14 we were 25th, last year 28th, this year we're sitting 27th. Yeah, those Sedins are clearly keeping us from a full rebuild...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/will ... an-miller/

So, with Hansen and Alexandre Burrows traded for youth and picks, is it now safe to say the Canucks are in the midst of a rebuild?

"I think you can use whatever word you want," Linden said. "It maybe hasn't happened as fast as some people have wanted... but I'm really excited about where we're going."
So I guess the retool failed. Trev and JB basically wasted 3 years when they could have blown it up, not sign guys like Verbeta, Eriksson and Millzy and increase our odds in the McJesus and Matthews/Laine sweepstakes.
No

They would have had to trade the Sedins to go full rebuild 3 years ago. Is that too hard to understand?
Hey, Dude, question for you.
I could read back but since your here:

How did you feel when Kesler wanted out?

I was all in for trying to trade the Sedins at that point but I remember the majority of fans in this town didn't seem ready...
I'm not an archivist like Island N. If we were meant to look backwards our eyes would have been put at the back of our heads. I'm a forward looking man but I will tell you this - this city was not reedy to trade the Sedins back then and therein layed the problem for Linden and Benning when they were hired, not to mention the NTC's Gillis handed out like Halloween candy in which gave Kesler the Luxury of only naming one team he'd waive for. That my friend is the Gillis legacy - the Kesler trade. Gillis should just title his Biography - "Shitty contracts filled with impossible NTC's" - see my recent Garrison post and how that Gillis shrewd negotiating is going to royally screw the Lightning in signing 3 key RFA's this summer. BTW - Benning trading that slug Garrison and that ridiculous contract of his is one of Bennings best trades, doesn't get the credit it surely deserves
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That's wee todded.

Post deadline, out of the playoff picture, lets see what the prospects have so we can decide to proceed with them or cut bait.

Up until this they were protected in minutes and situations.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:That's wee todded.
:lol:
Still one of Docs better burns.
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: If we were meant to look backwards our eyes would have been put at the back of our heads. I'm a forward looking man
Except when we're ranting about Gillis...then the Dude walks around like Tom Greens backwards man
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: If we were meant to look backwards our eyes would have been put at the back of our heads. I'm a forward looking man
Except when we're ranting about Gillis...then the Dude walks around like Tom Greens backwards man
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again!" Al Pacino The Godfather 3

I'm a constantly referring to the Gillis debauchery to show you clingy dingleberries what truly bad management is. In 1-2 years the mission will be completed. Did you not see the HNIC panel last night jizzing over the Canucks future with all their great looking prospects cometh on an unstoppable Comet?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:. Did you not see the HNIC panel last night jizzing over the Canucks future with all their great looking prospects cometh on an unstoppable Comet?
Absolutely and many of those in here you're chasing have given Bennings deadline moves 2 thumbs up.
The only issue i can see from the same people are the expensive veteran additions over those 2-3 years and how they likely have kept vancouver from having better odds at the superstars that have been drafted the past 2 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:. Did you not see the HNIC panel last night jizzing over the Canucks future with all their great looking prospects cometh on an unstoppable Comet?
Absolutely and many of those in here you're chasing have given Bennings deadline moves 2 thumbs up.
The only issue i can see from the same people are the expensive veteran additions over those 2-3 years and how they likely have kept vancouver from having better odds at the superstars that have been drafted the past 2 years.
We had better odds than Winnipeg at last years draft. Who ended up with the generational player - Patrick Laine? Is that Bennings fault for losing the lottery? Florida went from 4th best odds to winning the lottery and drafting Blobbee's boi Ekblad. Buffalo and Phoenix had the best odds at drafting McDavid and Eichel. How different would Phoenix be if they had either or of McDavid or Eichel instead of that bum - Strome? So, it's quite amazing that even though we had the 3rd best odds in the Matthews/Laine sweepstakes you blame Benning for not getting one of those two generational players. Winnipeg had the 5th best odds. Did you blame Benning for not winning Saturday's 6-49?
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RoyalDude wrote:We had better odds than Winnipeg at last years draft. Who ended up with the generational player - Patrick Laine? Is that Bennings fault for losing the lottery?
Come on, Dude. No one has blamed Benning for not winning the lottery and, to my knowledge, that has never been anyone's issue with Benning.

People have blamed Benning for:

1) trading away picks which many feel (given his skill at scouting out young talent) would give the team more chances to get legitimate NHL players (depth, mid-level and elite). If Gaudette's rise is any indication, Benning can spot some serious talent even at lower level picks - so the more of those picks that are retained, presumably the more Gaudettes we would/will have in the system;

2) not trading away certain players to acquire more draft picks or prospects. That said, I think nearly everyone of both the "Kool-Aid" and "Urine" Crews was satisfied that this trade deadline was, at worst, a success and, at best, a coup;

3) signing free agents (some expensive and some not) to help with a "winning culture" and "making the playoffs", while many would argue that: a) neither of these goals were accomplished; b) at least some of the players who were brought in were just taking up space which could be filled by developing prospects (e.g. Skille vs. Labate); and c) the signings, in general, were keeping the team at a mediocre level which would result in the team's just missing the playoffs but having a worse draft position; and

4) overpaying on some contracts and trades; which some have argued is a trend rather than an anomaly.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Wow, that's really clear and concise.

I look forward to reading those rebuttals of the Benning advocates that don't mention Gillis.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:

I look forward to reading those rebuttals of the Benning advocates that don't mention Gillis.
He can't do it. Every point anyone brings up about Ignitowski is met with " but Gillis blah blah blah"
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:

He can't do it. Every point anyone brings up about Ignitowski is met with " but Gillis blah blah blah"
Just come out of Gillis's closet already...deep down he loved th Gillis but hates himself for it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:We had better odds than Winnipeg at last years draft. Who ended up with the generational player - Patrick Laine? Is that Bennings fault for losing the lottery?
Come on, Dude. No one has blamed Benning for not winning the lottery and, to my knowledge, that has never been anyone's issue with Benning..
You sure about that? Check in with UDL will ya, as he is the one who is stark raving lunacy mad at Benning for not putting the Canucks in the position to have a good crack at generational talent when in fact he did - the 2016 Draft, where we had the 3rd best odds of walking out of that draft with one of Matthews or Laine. Scroll a few posts back to one of UDL's many terrible responses to me to see what I gettin at.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Come on, Dude. No one has blamed Benning for not winning the lottery and, to my knowledge, that has never been anyone's issue with Benning.

1) trading away picks which many feel (given his skill at scouting out young talent) would give the team more chances to get legitimate NHL players (depth, mid-level and elite). If Gaudette's rise is any indication, Benning can spot some serious talent even at lower level picks - so the more of those picks that are retained, presumably the more Gaudettes we would/will have in the system;
Trading away picks?

- A 3rd for Dorsett. Still a Canuck property
- A 3rd to Anaheim with Kesler, we get their 1st and 3rd back
- A 2nd for Vey. Ok you win
- A 3rd for Pedan. Still a Canuck property
- A 2nd for Baertschi. We win
- traded a 5th for Prust to get rid of a Coke head
- traded a 2nd for Sutter but we got our old 3rd Rd pick back in the deal. So bad, so wrong
- traded a 7th for Etem. Devestating. Lots of superstars found in the 7th round
- traded a 5th for Larsen. A 5th!!! My gawd!!!
- traded a 2nd and for Gudbranson. Still a Canuck property and a very good one to boot

Wow so awful, Benning such a bad man