Canucks Special Teams

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Special Teams

Post by the toucan kid »

ESQ wrote:
Mr.Miyagi wrote:The Canucks had their most success on the PP when the twins were with Kesler up front and Edler and Salo were on the point.

The best we can do now, years later is put Weber and Vrbata in place of Kesler and Salo??? On repeat ... over and over again. This has been the undoing of the powerplay as we know it. Vrbata is too much of a perimeter player to make things happen in front of the net.I can remember the Canucks having some success plunking Kassian in frontm, but it was sporadic.

I would bring Burr back, on both the PP and the top line. The twins need the kind of player who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty. Burrows is about the only skill player we have that could do that, other than Virtanen, who we all know Willie won't be giving first unit PP time to.
The solution is sitting in Utica as we speak: Linden Vey.

Just look at the way he parks himself in the slot, ready for a one-timer from either side!

Seriously though, if Vey could figure it out, why can't anybody else on the Sedin PP get to that spot???
Because most NHL d-men don't ignore players in the high-slot like the Blues were there? Vey is pretty shitty man...
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

the toucan kid wrote:Because most NHL d-men don't ignore players in the high-slot like the Blues were there? Vey is pretty shitty man...
Actually, Vey scored several PP goals on several teams from that exact spot. link to video.

He spent 2 months on the PP, and finished the year one goal short of a 5-way tie for 2nd most PPG on the team.

When Vey was effective early on in the year, he was very good at getting open for a one-timer, usually in the high-slot where he could be fed from behind the net. He was shifty, which is what (imo) the Sedins need on the PP. Unfortunately, he lost the plot after October 2014.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

ESQ wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:Because most NHL d-men don't ignore players in the high-slot like the Blues were there? Vey is pretty shitty man...
Actually, Vey scored several PP goals on several teams from that exact spot. link to video.

He spent 2 months on the PP, and finished the year one goal short of a 5-way tie for 2nd most PPG on the team.

When Vey was effective early on in the year, he was very good at getting open for a one-timer, usually in the high-slot where he could be fed from behind the net. He was shifty, which is what (imo) the Sedins need on the PP. Unfortunately, he lost the plot after October 2014.
Okay you can just say he had four PPGs... With that kind of sample size and selective (hi-light) memory I'm sure even a stiff like Taylor Pyatt would look like a wiz at weaving into the slot. Sometimes a guy just gets lucky and the puck finds him a few times within a few weeks. A couple of those goals were complete fluke bounces (he buried the puck though to be sure).

Vey has a good release but not much else.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Our shitty special teams can be summed up in one word:

"Elder"

His crappy plays, turnovers, bossed assignments, bad drop passes, non clearings, more turnovers on the blue line (ours and theirs) have resulted in the crap special teams this last while... Not sure if he is tired, overworked (too much ice time??), injured, or what, but this team needs to get him off the PP and PK for a while until he sorts his shit out...,
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Our shitty special teams can be summed up in one word:

"Elder"

His crappy plays, turnovers, bossed assignments, bad drop passes, non clearings, more turnovers on the blue line (ours and theirs) have resulted in the crap special teams this last while... Not sure if he is tired, overworked (too much ice time??), injured, or what, but this team needs to get him off the PP and PK for a while until he sorts his shit out...,
What? But how will we play the" Edler Drop Pass in the Neutral Zone Power Play Drinking Game" if he's not on the Power Play? I usually get through the best part of a half sack during our first power play.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

In any case, Tyson Barrie I mean Ben Hutton needs to be worked onto the top unit powerplay and 3 on 3 asap.
He's clearly our most talented dman offensively.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote:In any case, Tyson Barrie I mean Ben Hutton needs to be worked onto the top unit powerplay and 3 on 3 asap.
He's clearly our most talented dman offensively.
Anything to reduce the workload on Edler..

Sedin-Sedin-McCann (in front of the net)
Vrbata - Hutton

that cant be any worse!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

To be fair to Edler, who does seem to be losing his way a bit - even if his possession stats from last year look pretty good - it's not that easy to QB a powerplay with the Twins and it never has been.

Not knocking the Twins but they have always required other players to fit into their patterns. That's the case with a lot of top players but I don't know that it's as severe in most cases.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

the toucan kid wrote:To be fair to Edler, who does seem to be losing his way a bit - even if his possession stats from last year look pretty good - it's not that easy to QB a powerplay with the Twins and it never has been.

Not knocking the Twins but they have always required other players to fit into their patterns. That's the case with a lot of top players but I don't know that it's as severe in most cases.
Sure, it's the Twins fault..... :P

Seriously though, if the Edler the Craptacular can't work there, then put him on the 2nd PP unit and see what happens there.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:To be fair to Edler, who does seem to be losing his way a bit - even if his possession stats from last year look pretty good - it's not that easy to QB a powerplay with the Twins and it never has been.

Seriously though, if the Edler the Craptacular can't work there, then put him on the 2nd PP unit and see what happens there.
Edler shouldn't be on any PP period nor PK nor on the ice, trade him now while he has some value.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

forgive me if this was put somewhere else...

"Canucks admit they’re playing overtime to get to the shootout"
?
thefuck is this bullshit.
For the Vancouver Canucks, a win in overtime has been downgraded from actually winning to simply not losing.

Their 3-on-3 strategy was on full display yesterday in Florida, where the Canucks were outshot 8-1 in the extra frame before falling in the shootout.

Vancouver is 0-7 in overtime this season. Hence, the new approach.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/21/can ... -shootout/

It's clearer than hw's new strathcona view in the future, the Sedins NEED to be SPLIT-UP in the new 3on3 format, like I said before, it's not a chess game, it's checkers in that format, speed, skill, flash, snipe.

Sedins are wizards with 5on5 4on whatever, they play off players with matchups/picks/blocks/traps/open lanes/rotate off bitches more than rummy does on a weekend binder.

Can't really do any of that on a 3on3, I'd like to see Daniel with Hansen, McCann with Vrbata and Horvat with Baertschi.

Hank enjoy the holidays.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Well that's good news. At least they recognise their limitations and are willing to try something else, even if it's a cop-out. Maybe by March they'll realise the Sedins are shit at 3v3 and drop them entirely! I say drop the D and just play 3 forwards all the time! Nobody's playing D anyways!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

5thhorseman wrote:Well that's good news. At least they recognise their limitations and are willing to try something else, even if it's a cop-out. Maybe by March they'll realise the Sedins are shit at 3v3 and drop them entirely! I say drop the D and just play 3 forwards all the time! Nobody's playing D anyways!
Yeah, it's right in line with Willie and Dim figuring shit out two months after the fanbase has.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:

Enter 2016 season, WD hopefully see's it's time to reduce Edler's workload and put him on the 2nd unit.

First unit powerplay:

Sedins Eriksson
Hutton - Larsen :thumbs:

Second unit powerplay:

Baertschi Horvat Sutter
Edler - Tanev

If you want the youth to succeed like Baertschi, Horvat and Hutton you got to put them in positions to succeed, only then the Canucks shall prevail.

Come October WD probably plays it safe on the powerplay,
#1: Edler - Larsen
#2: Hutton - Tanev
:|
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Enter 2016 season, WD hopefully see's it's time to reduce Edler's workload and put him on the 2nd unit.

First unit powerplay:

Sedins Eriksson
Hutton - Larsen :thumbs:

Second unit powerplay:

Baertschi Horvat Sutter
Edler - Tanev

If you want the youth to succeed like Baertschi, Horvat and Hutton you got to put them in positions to succeed, only then the Canucks shall prevail.

Come October WD probably plays it safe on the powerplay,
#1: Edler - Larsen
#2: Hutton - Tanev
:|
Really hard to know what to expect from Edler.
Though it, (the PP), could evolve as the year goes on, I think whoever can drift in towards the middle from either side and consistently get off a 100mph+ shot about 2 to 6 inches off the ice, is a good place to start.
Been a while since that has been available.
"evolution"