Canucks Special Teams

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Special Teams

Post by Cherry Picker »

Boeser, Hughes and Petterson around the outside on the power play is great. They form the top of the umbrella. Yet to be determined is who will be in the middle and who is the net front presence. I think in the middle could be Dahlen or Horvat which should be fine. The net front is more difficult. Horvat and Virtanen might be okay, but not ideal. Ideally, it may be Gadjovich if his skating picks up. It could be Tryamkin if he returns. He could do that Big Buff on Luongo routine all day long. At one time Eriksson used to be effective there but not recently. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. In a year or two this could be one of the best power plays in the league if they find an elite person in front of the net.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:13 am At one time Eriksson used to be effective there but not recently.

Eriksson is still effective standing in front of the net. The problem was both Willie and Green did not deploy him there. Even if they did, only few point shots were getting through. Most of the time, the Canucks point men just aimed right at the PKers' shin pads.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tiger wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm All I want to see is Hughes on the point, Pettersson centering the middle with Boeser in his office to blast in the one timers.

Sprinkle in some Horvat, Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldy, Eriksson etc as seen fit.

Need a good faceoff man at center. Is Petterson got that skill ? Maybe add somè muscle ( Tom Wilson is UFA ) ? To work in ffront of the net?
I wish he was but alas, UFA. Without him don't think the Caps win a cup. Talk about a pay hike!
Maybe the biggest this year.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I thought I saw Eriksson score most of his goals this year from the garbage area right in front of the net.

I was a little surprised to see he had 0 pp goals, but he was 8th on the team for pp ice time amongst forwards, so maybe not so surprising.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 pm I thought I saw Eriksson score most of his goals this year from the garbage area right in front of the net.

I was a little surprised to see he had 0 pp goals, but he was 8th on the team for pp ice time amongst forwards, so maybe not so surprising.
Yup Travis Green and Brown all ignored Eriksson's skillset he's shown throughout his career and with Boston a couple years ago netting 30 with 10 powerplay goals. HELL! even with Willie he got 5 powerplay goals. :shock:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm
ESQ wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 pm I thought I saw Eriksson score most of his goals this year from the garbage area right in front of the net.

Yup Travis Green and Brown all ignored Eriksson's skillset he's shown throughout his career and with Boston a couple years ago netting 30 with 10 powerplay goals. HELL! even with Willie he got 5 powerplay goals. :shock:
Agreed, could have got more out of him. TG and staff will have to develop right along with the players this year.
Eventually the heavy punishment routine will get old.
I know JV needed it but was it too much?
I know we can't even get a 3th or 4th round pick for Hutton now.

Ya, Travis has to learn special teams better. Not just who to play but understanding the situational needs, (the team your playing).
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

2020-21 this team SHOULD have a deadly PP with Boeser, Petterson, Quinton, Bo and (insert wildcard) EK would be nice.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm Yup Travis Green and Brown all ignored Eriksson's skillset he's shown throughout his career and with Boston a couple years ago netting 30 with 10 powerplay goals. HELL! even with Willie he got 5 powerplay goals. :shock:
I think Greener had better players and options on the PP last season (ie: Sedins/Vanek) and mostly used LE on the PK. With those guys gone, I expect LE will get some chances on the PP again.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Third unit, hopefully.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm Yup Travis Green and Brown all ignored Eriksson's skillset he's shown throughout his career and with Boston a couple years ago netting 30 with 10 powerplay goals. HELL! even with Willie he got 5 powerplay goals. :shock:
I think Greener had better players and options on the PP last season (ie: Sedins/Vanek) and mostly used LE on the PK. With those guys gone, I expect LE will get some chances on the PP again.
One could hope, Eriksson has proven he's capable of scoring 10 goals on the powerplay twice now (Stars, Bruins).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Years later and finally we got two deadly powerplay units, iirc #1 in the league in powerplay goals.

Solid drafting and key trades + UFA signings has significantly upgraded the special teams.

Not to mention when the vets (beags etc) are healthy our pk is much improved.