Tort's to CBJ for 2nd round pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Tort's to CBJ for 2nd round pick

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Not quite a trade, but compensation non the less!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Tort's to CBJ for 2nd round pick

Post by BladesofSteel »

We'll take it!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Weird rule, but it works for me. To think that Torts is worth the same as a guy like Garrison was doesn't make much sense, but if CBJ wants to hire him we'll take the 2nd rounder.

Anybody know if it's a 2nd this year, or is there a time limit on it? Would be nice to have this year, it's a good draft and a pick in the 30's would be nice to have.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Lol.. So the 2nd rounder makes ex coaches worth more than a Higgins or Hansen

:-)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Diehard1 wrote:Weird rule, but it works for me. To think that Torts is worth the same as a guy like Garrison was doesn't make much sense, but if CBJ wants to hire him we'll take the 2nd rounder.

Anybody know if it's a 2nd this year, or is there a time limit on it? Would be nice to have this year, it's a good draft and a pick in the 30's would be nice to have.
I think I read somewhere that these three picks can be anytime over the next 3 years, but yeah, this year would be great, would be low 1st rounder basically.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:I think I read somewhere that these three picks can be anytime over the next 3 years, but yeah, this year would be great, would be low 1st rounder basically.
Correct. 2016, 2017, or 2018 Draft - Columbus choice.

"According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, teams would receive a second-round draft pick if a transaction happens during the season and a third-round pick if one occurs in the off-season.

Also, there will be a three-year period where the team that hires the coach/GM/president will have to choose when to give up the draft pick."

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Wow that's awesome! Is that in 2016 draft? How many picks we have now? Bieksa gave us a 2nd and Lack gave us a 3rd. Didn't we give up a 2nd for Sutter? The BJ's pick should be a high one too
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:I think I read somewhere that these three picks can be anytime over the next 3 years, but yeah, this year would be great, would be low 1st rounder basically.
Correct. 2016, 2017, or 2018 Draft - Columbus choice.

"According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, teams would receive a second-round draft pick if a transaction happens during the season and a third-round pick if one occurs in the off-season.

Also, there will be a three-year period where the team that hires the coach/GM/president will have to choose when to give up the draft pick."

S_C
Oh that sucks cause you know that mgmt there won't give up the 2nd until 2018. They always defer it to the last year
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Wow that's awesome! Is that in 2016 draft? How many picks we have now? Bieksa gave us a 2nd and Lack gave us a 3rd. Didn't we give up a 2nd for Sutter? The BJ's pick should be a high one too
After the start they've had, I don't imagine it will be this seasons.

Lack's pick was used to grab Brisebois. Bieksa's was traded down to get Sutter (got our own 3rd back - Pedan).

We have an extra 7th (Lack) and no 5th (Prust).
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The fact that we're still paying Torts even while he coaches the Jackets seems like money well spent now.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

My plan:
- Fire willie now
- In quick succession, hire a credible NHL coach, then fire them shortly afterwards
- Rinse and repeat until you run out of candidates
- Watch the 2nd / 3rd round picks roll in
- WIN!

:mex:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tortorella’s contract in Columbus extends two additional years beyond this season, the same amount of time remaining on his deal in Vancouver. The Canucks will still pay a portion of his salary, the difference between what Columbus was willing to pay and what Vancouver still owed. The Canucks will also receive a second-round pick from Columbus for an in-season hire, as per NHL compensation rules, even though Tortorella was fired 538 days ago. Columbus has until June 1 to determine whether the pick will be in the 2016, 2017 or 2018 NHL draft.
http://www.tsn.ca/blue-jackets-fire-coa ... a-1.380172
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

BingoTough wrote:My plan:
- Fire willie now
- In quick succession, hire a credible NHL coach, then fire them shortly afterwards
- Rinse and repeat until you run out of candidates
- Watch the 2nd / 3rd round picks roll in
- WIN!

:mex:
we don't even have to fire Willie.

Just hire all the out of work Coaches to long term contracts, call them assistant coaches (or waterboy's or whatever), then fire them.

turn non cap cash into picks!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ignitowski is licking his lips thinking about when he can acquire the next Vey or Baertschi with that second rounder.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Now if only someone would hire Gillis we could snag another pick.
Gillman, another.

Or do AGM get us nothing.
The only HW the Canucks need