Lineup Predictions 2015-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Re: Lineup Predictions 2015-16

Post by Horvat1C »

5thhorseman wrote:Horvat already provides a vet-like presence, i.e. defensive responsibility, on the second line. I like the looks of this as well. The fourth line kinda is kinda like a Momesso-Ronning-Sandlak combo.
We need people who have played in the league for awhile and are used to the daily rigors of the NHL to play with the young guys. Horvat had a successful first year, but I think he might still need a veteran on his line. We need to make sure these guys are as comfortable going on the ice as possible, that they're not going to be pushed around or taken advantage of. Horvat probably won't need that support as much as McCann or Baertschi, but it can't hurt him to play with someone like that. That's why Vrbata is with Baertschi, to teach him how to score. Prust will be with Virtanen so that if Virtanen gets in over his head physically, he has a guy there to back him up. Dorsett will be there to watch over McCann. Yes, this might not be the most offensive lineup ever, but that's not what we're after this season. We are trying to transition into our new core while remaining competitive. This will be true for the next 2-3 years.

Once the new core is in (Horvat, McCann, Shinkaurik, Boeser, Virtanen all playing prominent roles), and they can fight for themselves, that's when we should be comfortable playing three of those guys on a line.

Unless they show that they are REALLY ready for more responsibility, (which I am not opposed to, I just don't really see management buying into it this year), this is how it will be in my opinion.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat1C wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:Horvat already provides a vet-like presence, i.e. defensive responsibility, on the second line. I like the looks of this as well. The fourth line kinda is kinda like a Momesso-Ronning-Sandlak combo.
We need people who have played in the league for awhile and are used to the daily rigors of the NHL to play with the young guys. Horvat had a successful first year, but I think he might still need a veteran on his line. We need to make sure these guys are as comfortable going on the ice as possible, that they're not going to be pushed around or taken advantage of. Horvat probably won't need that support as much as McCann or Baertschi, but it can't hurt him to play with someone like that. That's why Vrbata is with Baertschi, to teach him how to score. Prust will be with Virtanen so that if Virtanen gets in over his head physically, he has a guy there to back him up. Dorsett will be there to watch over McCann. Yes, this might not be the most offensive lineup ever, but that's not what we're after this season. We are trying to transition into our new core while remaining competitive. This will be true for the next 2-3 years.

Once the new core is in (Horvat, McCann, Shinkaurik, Boeser, Virtanen all playing prominent roles), and they can fight for themselves, that's when we should be comfortable playing three of those guys on a line.

Unless they show that they are REALLY ready for more responsibility, (which I am not opposed to, I just don't really see management buying into it this year), this is how it will be in my opinion.
Albeit true, if there's no veteran presence, they will quit passing it to the veteran everytime, like Baertschi does to Vrbata alot.

Anyways I'm liking the Horvat - Vrbata combo, Bart will adjust to play a more fluid game after gets some NHL games under his belt.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

SKYO wrote:
Horvat1C wrote:

Albeit true, if there's no veteran presence, they will quit passing it to the veteran everytime, like Baertschi does to Vrbata alot.

Anyways I'm liking the Horvat - Vrbata combo, Bart will adjust to play a more fluid game after gets some NHL games under his belt.
Everybody forgot about special teams. Mine look like this:

PowerPlay 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vrbata - Edler

We've seen a lot of this unit and they have been fairly successful. Burrows is a nuisance in front of the net, and the Sedins, Vrbata and Edler do their thing.

PowerPlay 2:

Baertschi - Horvat - McCann

Hutton - Weber

This is the young guys unit. I know there isn't a veteran on the ice, but I don't think they need it on the powerplay. McCann and Weber are the shooters. McCann on the right faceoff circle and Weber from the point. Baertschi works the wall with Horvat and Hutton does his thing. If a net-front presence is lacking, McCann goes to the point replacing Hutton and Sutter moves into McCann's old spot.

Penalty Kill 1:

Sutter - Burrows

Hamhuis - Bartkowski

Penalty Kill 2:

Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Pretty self-explanatory. Higgins rotates in when he comes back. Maybe Gaunce and McCann get a couple of looks as well.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

So with Vey and Corrado gone....

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Virtanen - Horvat - Baertschi
Hansen - Sutter - Burrows
Prust - McCann - Dorsett
Cracknell

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Hamuis
Weber - Sbisa
Bartowski

Miller
Markov
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

vic wrote:So with Vey and Corrado gone....

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Virtanen - Horvat - Baertschi
Hansen - Sutter - Burrows
Prust - McCann - Dorsett
Cracknell
If they're serious about the Sutter w/the Sedins thing:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baerschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-Cracknell-Virtanen
Dorsett/Prust-McCann-Hansen

Then depending on the opponent they could rotate McCann/Virtanen in out with Prust/Dorsett. For the greasier games against heavier teams like Anaheim Sutter could go back to C. There's more than a few options for Willie to swtich things up mid-game.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce/Higgins - Sutter - Hansen
Prust/Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett/Virtanen

Kenins, Gaunce/Prust, Dorsett/Virtanen, Cracknell, Jones, Vey (if unclaimed)

Top 6 is pretty self-explanatory. I think Vrbata will want to play with Horvat, seeing as how the other option is Sutter. Gaunce plays in Higgins' spot until he returns and learns how to play the 3rd line game effectively from Sutter and Hansen. Once Higgins comes back, Gaunce rotates in with Prust on the 4th line. Dorsett and Virtanen also rotate in and out, but Virtanen is never in at the same time as Prust, to keep a veteran on the ice at all times. pretty good depth at all positions. Re-evaluate after 9 games.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Hutton/Bartkowski

Bartkowski/Hutton, Biega, Subban, Corrado (if unclaimed)

I think I would rather have Bartkowski playing with Hamhuis than Weber, but we keep him in the lineup for his shot. Bartkowski and Hutton rotate on the 3rd pair. Ease in Hutton, don't overload him with too much work. Biega is a safety along with Corrado (if unclaimed). Re-evaluate after 9 games.

PowerPlay 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vrbata - Edler

Standard top unit. Vrbata, Edler and Daniel are the triggermen. Burrows in front of the net. Sedins do their thing.

PowerPlay 2:

Baertschi - Horvat - Sutter/McCann

Hutton/Bartkowski - Weber

Weber is the main triggerman. Baertschi and Horvat work the boards and look for the pass with their vision. Sutter goes in front of the net. If this one is not really clicking, we could put McCann in there instead of Sutter. He would be a triggerman as well with his shot, but also has excellent vision as well. Hutton/Bartkowski man the point, depending on who's playing.

Penalty Kill 1:

Sutter - Burrows

Hamhuis - Sbisa/Bartkowski

Sutter and Burrows form a solid unit up front. Hamhuis plays with Bartkowski if he is in, and Sbisa if he isn't.

Penalty Kill 2:

Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Horvat and Hansen have some chemistry, so let them use it. Edler and Tanev, pretty standard.

We have enough depth to fill the young guys' spots if they need to be sent down, and still be in decent shape.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That's like a 27 man roster right there.

Benning would not reveal his starting one up but did say it was set. Cracknell, when he plays, will be on the fourth line between Prust and Dorsett.

The rotation up front, until Higgins is back, will likely be between Virtanen and McCann.

The D rotation is set too but again WD would not reveal. He was asked about Bartkowski and Sbisa rotating and he snorted. It was kind of a laugh in your face snort. Barring injuries I think it will be Hutton and Weber rotating in and out.

When McCann is in, Sutter plays with the twins. When Virtanen is in, either Burrows or Vrbata will play with the twins. WD talked about the flexibility. Several wingers who can play both sides and centres that can play wing. We could see a lot of mixing and matching with pairs set, that is the twins with, Vrbata/Horvat with.

What is clear, this is a look see to determine how these kids play in meaningful NHL games against NHL rosters.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Cracknell, when he plays, will be on the fourth line between Prust and Dorsett.
RELEASE THE CRACKEN!!

But could we please swap Dorsett out for Hansen?

I have a good reason!

See, a Prust-Cracknell-Hansen line might have better nickname potential.

All three were drafted in '04, Cracknell + Hansen both in the 9th round!! :shock:

Tell me, how many former 9th-rounders will play in the NHL this year?!!

Let alone on the same line...

And hey, doesn't Prust wear #9??

"The Four Niners Line"? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

What if Benning acquires Grant Clitsome?

Clit... to Crack…

Scores!!!!!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

BladesofSteel wrote:Clit... to Crack…

Scores!!!!!
Is this an unliked Raffi Torres joke? :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Clit... to Crack…

Scores!!!!!
Is this an unliked Raffi Torres joke? :lol:

LOL
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

BladesofSteel wrote:What if Benning acquires Grant Clitsome?

Clit... to Crack…

Scores!!!!!
Too bad Darren Puppa doesn't play any more.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Tciso wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:What if Benning acquires Grant Clitsome?

Clit... to Crack…

Scores!!!!!
Too bad Darren Puppa doesn't play any more.
And Lance Pitlick...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah the clock is on regarding Baertschi. I can see why the Flames gave up on him. He's a perimeter player who spends most his time watching the play from afar. Definitely not one in pursuit of the puck, just waits for it and hopes to get it with open ice, definitely doesn't like playing in traffic and the dirty areas. I sure hope we see Jake in his place next game
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah the clock is on regarding Baertschi. I can see why the Flames gave up on him. He's a perimeter player who spends most his time watching the play from afar. Definitely not one in pursuit of the puck, just waits for it and hopes to get it with open ice, definitely doesn't like playing in traffic and the dirty areas. I sure hope we see Jake in his place next game
give him 10 games before we put the fork in him.

So far I am not impressed but we need to be patient.