Meanwhile...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rodin is still leading the league in scoring and has expressed a desire to come back and give it another try . Hopefully some of the deadwood can be cleared out to make room for him . I have no idea how Burrows and Higgins can be dealt before March 2017 .
Hate using cap space but we may have to pay part
Probably better to do that then keep them around
And I mean better for the team and them
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Per wrote:This just in: Modo demoted! :shock:

As in most sports leagues, the bottom feeders of the SHL risk demotion.
The two last teams in the league each face a challenger from the SHA (Hockeyallsvenskan) in a best out of seven series over a slot in next year's SHL.
Someone brought this up in another thread - I'll post it here - the NHL should operate the same way.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

vic wrote:

The two last teams in the league each face a challenger from the SHA (Hockeyallsvenskan) in a best out of seven series over a slot in next year's SHL.
Someone brought this up in another thread - I'll post it here - the NHL should operate the same way.

Where the hell would the extra NHL ready building come from, not to mention another owner?
Where would you put the demoted team?
How does the demoted franchise survive?
Never work...
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote:
vic wrote:

Where the hell would the extra NHL ready building come from, not to mention another owner?
Never work...
leaves get demoted and the Marlies get promoted.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:leaves get demoted and the Marlies get promoted.
... and nobody notices...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote:
vic wrote:

Never work...
It works in the Premier League, as in most European sports leagues.
It is a disaster for the team that is demoted, but being promoted is on the other hand what all the minor league teams and their fans dream of. It's the stuff of Cinderella stories. And when a major team in a major city goes down, there is a roar of laughter across the nation. Just imagine your satisfaction if the leaves were demoted! :look:

It also adds nerve and excitement to the nether regions of the league.
The relegation stuff is far more nerve recking than a run for the championship.
I'm sure many grown men cried themselves to sleep in Örnsköldsvik last night, whereas the party never ended in Leksand.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

micky107 wrote: Where the hell would the extra NHL ready building come from, not to mention another owner?
Never work...
You'd have an A and B league. All NHL teams all in their same cities.

You guarantee everyone in league A a shot at the cup, and only the top x number of teams from league B (let's say 4)

Every year the bottom 4 teams from league A swap out with the top 4 teams from league B.

So basically if your a fan of a team in league A, your going to see the best teams and probably the best hockey night in and night out.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

vic wrote:
micky107 wrote: Where the hell would the extra NHL ready building come from, not to mention another owner?
Never work...
You'd have an A and B league. All NHL teams all in their same cities.

You guarantee everyone in league A a shot at the cup, and only the top x number of teams from league B (let's say 4)

Every year the bottom 4 teams from league A swap out with the top 4 teams from league B.

So basically if your a fan of a team in league A, your going to see the best teams and probably the best hockey night in and night out.
What about the B league fans that still have to pay $100.00 bucks a seat. I guess I'm stupid, just can't comprehend this idea, sorry :?:
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

micky107 wrote: What about the B league fans that still have to pay $100.00 bucks a seat. I guess I'm stupid, just can't comprehend this idea, sorry :?:
Ticket prices are based more on market demand than talent on the ice.

Fans are still watching NHL hockey. You can get after market tickets to a game in Washington for under $100 and they have (stats wise) the best team in the NHL.

People still pay $100 and more to see the Oilers and Canucks at Rogers Arena. Florida could win back to back cups, but people probably still wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount to go see a game.

Of course the system is not perfect, but the current system allows year after year bottom feeding suck ass teams to be in the same league as teams who compete year after year. If you want to compete against the best, be one of the best.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

vic wrote:
micky107 wrote: What about the B league fans that still have to pay $100.00 bucks a seat. I guess I'm stupid, just can't comprehend this idea, sorry :?:
Ticket prices are based more on market demand than talent on the ice.

Fans are still watching NHL hockey. You can get after market tickets to a game in Washington for under $100 and they have (stats wise) the best team in the NHL.

People still pay $100 and more to see the Oilers and Canucks at Rogers Arena. Florida could win back to back cups, but people probably still wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount to go see a game.

Of course the system is not perfect, but the current system allows year after year bottom feeding suck ass teams to be in the same league as teams who compete year after year. If you want to compete against the best, be one of the best.
Well I guess maybe there are not 30 healthy ownership groups now, and we're expanding?
I've said it before: There just isn't and will never be enough money in the N.H.L.
But that doesn't mean it's not the greatest game on earth :sly:
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Expansion is already in the works, most likely into the European markets.

NHL is introducing a "bye" week next year for all teams, where each team will get a mandatory 5 day break from games...many think this is the precursor to expanding to Europe. That 5 day break could be upon a North American teams' return home to give their bodies a break from all the travel. Same goes with a European team returning home after a North American road trip.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Want nothing to do with a super world league. Not in this lifetime. I like my N.H.L.
Hell, I heard bettfuck actually say once he wanted to tap the Asian market, Welcome to the L.P.G.A.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Swedish playoffs have already reached the final.

Skellefteå (bastards) are in their sixth consecutive final after sweeping HV71 in the quarterfinal and beating the Växjö Lakers in seven in the semifinal.

Their opponents are the Frölunda Indians, who reached the final by beating Djurgården in five and Luleå in six.

Frölunda is now ahead 2-1 in the series.

Tömmernes is having a pretty good season. 8 points in 14 games so far in the playoffs.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10018
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

In Finland HIFK and Tappara are squaring off for the Liiga title.

HIFK, which is traditionally a Swedish speaking team, the Finnish version of the Habs, if you want, has reached the final by eliminating the Pelicans in six and JYP in six.

Tappara reached the final by eliminating Lukko in five and Kärpät (the Wolverines) in seven. Of note is the great play by high ranking prospect Laine, who scored six goals against Kärpät.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667

At present HIFK is ahead 2-1.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Is it true, that after that series, the Fins were hailing Laine as "The Kärpät muncher"?