2015 - 2016 Vancover Canucks Training Camp Roster

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: 2015 - 2016 Vancover Canucks Training Camp Roster

Post by DonCherry4PM »

This definitely boosts Benning in my books. Willing to admit Vey may not be golden and keeping to his word re. spots being allotted by merit rather than seniority.

Not quite willing to call him a savant, but definitely true to his word which is a breath of fresh air.

Here's to hoping the rookies can keep up their performance and that this excitement doesn't quell before the 9 game mark of the season.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rikster wrote:
Bennings goes from idiot to savant with the waive of a wire and a car crash
Maybe its you and Benning was never an idiot...

Later..
Maybe you should have read more of my posts...... Doc, Dude and I have been manning the fire hoses top keep the urine from getting knee deep around here.

I fully expect Vey back in the lineup sooner than later if he clears waivers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Is this like the most exciting waiver wire day ever in Canucks history?!?!? :mrgreen:
Hahaha that seems to be the consensus!

I remember last season thinking Bo was only getting a shot because he got hurt and missed part of the pre-season, and was allowed to do a conditioning stint, etc. etc.

Prior to Bo, was Bourdon the only teenager to get games? The Canucks have certainly come a long way from the Patrick White days.

Wasn't Trevor a teenager when he started?
yes

And ironically Frankie Corrado was only a few weeks past his 20th birthday when he made his Canucks debut. And didnt the decision to play him in the playoffs in 2012-2013 cause him to require waivers this year ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e22112649/

Vancouver has had the fewest teenagers play and contribute for the team of any of Canada’s seven teams, going back to the late 1960s. The last teenager for Vancouver was Ryan Kesler. The most successful were Cam Neely, before he was traded to Boston, and Trevor Linden, the man who last April replaced Gillis as team president.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote:

Later..
No, Benning is still an idiot . Just because Kassian has a substance problem and he traded him doesn't undo his other blunders .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
rikster wrote:

Later..
No, Benning is still an idiot . Just because Kassian has a substance problem and he traded him doesn't undo his other blunders .
Oh no, get your wet suits on, here comes the other Mad Pisser.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

lostinarink wrote: Of the 3, I had high hopes for Vey. Like many before him, he has found the it takes time to adjust to weight gain, and with the gain must also come willingness to play in the tougher areas. Wherever he lands, he still has potential for a good career (as does Corrado)
Adjust to his weight gain lmfao . The guy went from 165 pounds to 170 . He is a shitty NHL player and it's irrelevant what weight he played at .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Maybe you should have read more of my posts
My apologies, I had a bad day...

I spent an hour listening to Sekeres and Price whine on the radio followed by about 5 minutes of reading whining on Hockey Futures and then I came here and saw your post and all I could think of was the movie Network...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q

Take care...
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
lostinarink wrote: Of the 3, I had high hopes for Vey. Like many before him, he has found the it takes time to adjust to weight gain, and with the gain must also come willingness to play in the tougher areas. Wherever he lands, he still has potential for a good career (as does Corrado)
Adjust to his weight gain lmfao . The guy went from 165 pounds to 170 . He is a shitty NHL player and it's irrelevant what weight he played at .
He mentioned earlier in the preseason that his playmaking game in lower leagues was based around strong board play in order to maintain possession and allow linemates time to free themselves up. He said that last year, he was too easily knocked off the puck, wasn't able to establish that game, and struggled to find another way to play.

Apparently the extra five or ten pounds was a response, but it doesn't take a genius to know that a guy Vey's size will always have trouble with board battles in the NHL. He's a classic example of a player whose game does not and will not translate to the highest levels. There's still a chance he finds another way, but it's highly unlikely.

That said, he's reasonably smart, reasonably skilled, and reasonably reliable. He's a good guy to have around in case of serious injury trouble, and to be that guy, he'll have to clear waivers every year. Chances are, that's exactly what'll happen. He seems to be a reasonably good teammate in the room as well, so Utica will benefit from his presence.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lloyd Braun wrote:it doesn't take a genius to know that a guy Vey's size will always have trouble with board battles in the NHL.
McCann, Cogliano, Hagelin, Hudler, Shaw, Eberle, Ribeiro, Ott,

and that is just a sample from the Western Conference
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I'm not overly concerned about possibly losing any of the fellows that got put on waivers. Many of the teams are trying to get under cap or have prospects of their own to manage. Besides, who's going to pick up Vey at $1 million?

Glad to see that Hutton, McCann and Virtanen were aptly rewarded with at leat a regular season look-see. Judging from Linden's comment's I think Jake will have to play his way off the roster past the 9-game mark. Putting McCann between Burrows and Hansen (if that's how the line-up goes, but makes sense) gives him some linemates with enough skill to make good on his playmaking skills and I'll be keen to see how he does if he makes the 2nd PP unit. Of all of them, though, the only one I think who may not make it past 9 games is McCann but no reason to think he won't keep surprising. Hell, even the vets seem excited by these kids.

Keeping Cracknell makes more sense on that 4th line than Vey ever did. Guy had 4th line written all over him from the time he signed.

I do hope they put Virtanen out there for the opener in Calgary. My only concern is he might get over-zealous. Still would love to see him throwing his weight around out there and knocking some Flamers straight into the medical room.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: Besides, who's going to pick up Vey at $1 million?
One of the talking points of the Benning haters was "WTF did he give Vey a raise?!!"

I've thought all along that Benning figured 'Either Vey has a great camp and earns it

... or he's meh again and we can get him through waivers at $1M'

Vey is shitty at the NHL level thus far, but the guy is an AHL All Star!

He'll be the #1C in Utica.

It's all good...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Topper wrote:
Lloyd Braun wrote:it doesn't take a genius to know that a guy Vey's size will always have trouble with board battles in the NHL.
McCann, Cogliano, Hagelin, Hudler, Shaw, Eberle, Ribeiro, Ott,

and that is just a sample from the Western Conference
Guys like Ott are significantly larger, are more grinder than playmaker, and play a mean, gritty game. Not comparable in the slightest.

Most of the rest are faster than Vey and create most of their offense via the rush.

I don't know why you even have McCann listed?

I'm not saying that guys Vey's size are incapable of holding down NHL jobs. That would be ridiculous.

I'm saying that a guy with Vey's lack of size, lack of meanness, and limited quickness, will have trouble holding onto the puck down low for long enough to see the play develop, when playing against NHL defenders. It's not entirely down to size; it's more that NHL defensemen are quick enough to keep up with Vey, aware enough not to be fooled easily, and physically capable of putting Vey on his butt, as we saw last season.

I did over-simplify the point by referring to "a guy Vey's size," rather than just saying "Vey," but I think it should be obvious that my post was based upon the entirety of Vey's skillset not meshing with his preferred style of play.

Vey said it himself. His game was based around creating plays in the offensive zone by holding onto the puck down low. He found that he couldn't play that way in the NHL, and struggled to adapt his offensive game. That's completely consistent with what I've seen from him.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

TDA Rum wrote:Vey , Corrado & Biega on waivers this morning...
Well, another 2nd round pick down the toilet. I'm surprised JB would do that to Uncle Willies fave player. :lol:

I'm surprised that Corrado is on waivers. I still remember when we called him up right out of juniors a couple years ago. He played a few playoff games for us that year and looked like the next Tanev. I dunno. I know Hutton has played great, probably better than almost all our D-men. He looks like he can handle the puck like Ehrhoff, a big void on this team ever since we lost him. however, it is a big jump from college to the NHL. Personally, I think it'd be better to keep Corrado and send Hutton to the minors. Let Hutton get his feet wet in the AHL, let him play a ton of minutes down there and let him learn in a safe environment. It's a ballzy move by JB for sure. He has definitely shown he's not afraid to do what he thinks is best for his team, no matter how risky it is. It'll be interesting watch Jake the Snake, Jarrad "Don't call me Subway" McCann and Benjamin Bhuttons in the next few games for sure. :P
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Not sure why we're so hung up on wasted 2nd Rounders. Sure I get the lottery ticket thing but 2nd rounders in Canucks currency is basically worthless. 4 of last 5: Mallet, Rodin, Sauve, Ellington. Geez we at least got 75 games and 10 goals out of Vey..as useless as he is..but that's still 67 games and 10 goals more than those picks combined. Win! :wink:

Just pray Demko breaks the trend.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Let Hutton get his feet wet in the AHL, let him play a ton of minutes down there and let him learn in a safe environment. It's a ballzy move by JB for sure.
Asset management vs. competitive culture. Tough one but ultimately the right choice, a no-brainer really.

Forget top 4, Hutton imo was easily among their best d-men from Youngstars through camp and pre-season. They may have gone about making room for him a better way than risk Corrado, but it would've been absolutely wrong to send down the guy who blew away competition and vets. Doesn't matter if you could call him up any time..sending him down now is just flat out wrong.

Plus, I think they want to win now (to the dismay of draftists like myself) and he could clearly help. Isn't that the point?