2015- 2016 Youngstars Tournament Roster

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2015- 2016 Youngstars Tournament Roster

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Looks can be a little deceiving Tops, especially with hockey players.
Hamhuis was in shorts and a T-shirt, the guy is a wire but I know what you mean about legs, I once dated a figure skater who nearly broke my jaw.
Were they short shorts he was wearing ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Looks can be a little deceiving Tops, especially with hockey players.
Hamhuis was in shorts and a T-shirt, the guy is a wire but I know what you mean about legs, I once dated a figure skater who nearly broke my jaw.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Were they short shorts he was wearing ?
Easy Blob.... EASY!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

missed all the game talk today...but Virtanen impressing..
Everybody was talking about Jake Virtanen at the beginning of the Young Stars Classic in Penticton. The same was true at the tournament’s end.

Virtanen scored on a breakaway in overtime Monday to lift the Vancouver Canucks’ prospects to a 3-2 triumph over their Calgary Flames counterparts in the final game of the four-team gathering. The victory saw Vancouver finish the tournament with a 2-1 record.

The 2014 first-round pick finished off a frenetic extra period of three-on-three hockey on a great individual effort, poking the puck to himself into space in the neutral zone and beating Flames netminder Nick Schneider with a high shot to the blocker side at the 1:47 mark.

“I saw the puck pop out and I knew I could beat them to it,” Virtanen told reporters post-game. “I was happy to get a chance to win it.”

That wrapped up an impressive tournament for the 19-year-old, who made headlines in the Canucks’ opening game for a heavy hit on Edmonton Oilers forward Connor McDavid.

Dane Fox and tryout Rodrigo Abols had the other goals for Vancouver, which battled back from two one-goal deficits to claim the victory.

The microscope will remain squarely on Virtanen when main training camp kicks off in Prince George later this week as the winger fights for a spot on the Canucks roster to start the regular season.

So far, he’s lived up to the expectations of Canucks general manager Jim Benning, who singled out Virtanen as one of the players he was impressed with when meeting with the media in Penticton midway through Monday’s game.

Benning also noted that he thought defenceman Ben Hutton and forwards Jared McCann and Brendan Gaunce had strong tournaments, telling reporters that Gaunce was given the day off Monday as a reward for his strong play.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Great tournament, really impressed with a lot of our guys, the future looks very bright.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Looking forward to Demko not returning for his final year and turning pro next spring. We should then get to see him at this tournament.
The only HW the Canucks need
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Yes that will be nice, Witt seemed to struggle mightily, Whistle played really well though.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Whoa, whoa, whoa HW, settle down with regards to Smurf Subban. Let's not get your hopes up creating another Steve Kariya making like his bro Paul dream. Reality check
That's an interesting comparison, maybe the better way to ask it is could Kariya play in todays NHL?...

Regarding Subban, he's got trending on his side with the league moving towards quick, puck moving defenceman being in demand...

Subban is one of the smaller defenseman by height in the NHL, but not by weight...

As examples, he's pretty much the same height as Sami Vatanen of the Ducks or Kimmo Timonen who just called it quits on a pretty good NHL career...

The blue line factory known as the Nashville Predators didn't let size influence their decision to draft Ryan Ellis with their first round pick, 11th overall and he's playing in the NHL 10 lbs. lighter than Subban...

Weight wise, he's heavier than 2 times Norris winner Karlsson who is one of the lightest defensemen in the league ...

If he can play and not lose his quickness at around 185 to 190, his height shouldn't be an issue....

It might take him a bit longer to learn to play in the NHL as it does many defensemen, but its a good era to be trying to make the jump...

Take care...
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Topper wrote:
How did Hamhuis break your jaw with his......oh....wait....read it wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Hamhuis was in shorts and a wire but I know what you mean about legs, nearly broke my jaw.
:?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”