2015- 2016 Youngstars Tournament Roster

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: 2015- 2016 Youngstars Tournament Roster

Post by Topper »

I watched bits and pieces of the game. Kids playing Jr hockey, some Major Junior, some Junior B. For the most part, a cluster fuck by both squads.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Let's rank the UVIC Sports Law Professor, the former Players Agent, his 2nd round picks when he wore the GM hat here for 6 seasons.

1. Alexandre Mallet
2. Anton Rodin
3. Yan Sauve
4. Traded the 2010 pick away
5. Traded the 2011 pick away
6. Traded the 2013 pick away

Any wonder why the Canucks 21 - 26 year old age bracket of players they drafted, sucks? The gaping hole in that age group made by Gillis and his shrewd drafting skills is the reason why Benning is racing to fix. The black hole between the Sedins and Bo Horvat.

I get very sentimental when I recollect Gillis press conference hiring to the GM post and how he slagged Nonis for his drafting. Oh the Arrogance
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Yeah Gillis sucked at drafting. Nonis wasn't much better. Nonis did well scooping up Edler and Hansen in later rounds, but let's not kid ourselves that he was miles ahead of Gillis.

We haven't seen what guys like Cassels, Grenier, Corrado, Gaunce, Hutton, Shinkaruk, Subban etc. develop into. I'd hazard a guess there are one or two NHL players in that group. And Nonis presided over what is likely the worst single Canucks draft of all time. At least Gillis turned the Pat White clusterfuck into Christian Ehrhoff.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: Our young star team has never looked good though. That is one thing I expect to see changing over the next few years with Benning at the helm. What is notable about that list of prospects that look like they will make the NHL at some point, is that at least 10 of them (including Pedan, etc.) have been drafted by Benning.
Pedan wasn't drafted by Benning. Benning traded Mallet and a 3rd round pick for him.

Benning has drafted 14 players, and he already dealt Forsling. I doubt 10/13 become regular NHL players.
10/13 in 2 drafts and through trades that LOOK like they could transition into the NHL is a helluvalot better than the 4 or 5 that we saw from Gillis over his tenure here.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So far early in this competition liking Virtanen's game >> over Ehlers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jordan Subban has the body language of PK. Watch some of his moves, point work, how he uses his stick, his spin moves. He certainly doesn't hit like his brother but he seems to have that same nasty streak. His shot hasn't been accurate yet this tournament but it's a blast. If this kid develops the right way I think we have a gem. Size will be his challenge but his skill set may compensate for that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:So far early in this competition liking Virtanen's game >> over Ehlers.
Virtanen is looking big out there and playing that way too. Like to see him get more shots.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Jordan Subban has the body language of PK. Watch some of his moves, point work, how he uses his stick, his spin moves. He certainly doesn't hit like his brother but he seems to have that same nasty streak. His shot hasn't been accurate yet this tournament but it's a blast. If this kid develops the right way I think we have a gem. Size will be his challenge but his skill set may compensate for that.
Hope it's the next Sutter NHL regime for the Subbans, to clarify - a bunch of bro's all making the NHL.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:So far early in this competition liking Virtanen's game >> over Ehlers.
Virtanen is looking big out there and playing that way too. Like to see him get more shots.
Yeah Ehlers still has a lot of filling out to do, but you can see the talent. I don't think much has changed since he was drafted. He needs to get bigger, that will be his limitation. Virtanen looks physically ready for the NHL this year, still unsure what's between his ears.
Hockey Widow wrote:Jordan Subban has the body language of PK. Watch some of his moves, point work, how he uses his stick, his spin moves. He certainly doesn't hit like his brother but he seems to have that same nasty streak. His shot hasn't been accurate yet this tournament but it's a blast. If this kid develops the right way I think we have a gem. Size will be his challenge but his skill set may compensate for that.
Watched a bit of the first period. Liked what I saw from Subban. I don't know that he'll be able to handle NHL forwards in his own zone, but the offensive tools are there. He'll likely never be a great all-around defender, but put him with someone steady in his own zone, and maybe he can provide similar things to what Tyson Barrie brings to Colorado.

Ashton Sautner looks fairly terrible.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

McCann can still shoot the puck. Takes the shot on a 2-on-1 and hugs the ref for his goal celebration.

Shinkaruk is also looking real strong, all over the ice. Kind of expected, given he's been a professional for a season already. Looks like he could be a good candidate for a call-up at some point this season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Shinkaruk finally scores. Ok, so it was an EN, but still it counts :mrgreen:

Sometimes I think he has what it takes and other times....Utica for him, he really does need to dominate in Utica.

Virtanen and Gaunce both look ready for the NHL. Cassels with a much better game. A couple of months in Utica and he will be ready for a call up. Hutton another solid game. Brisbois, meh, he needs work.

Main camp can't come fast enough for me. You can tell only a couple of players are ready for the jump, good thing Benning has some vets to rely upon.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Virtanen is just a wrecking ball. He's so solid and just ragdolls anyone who isn't already NHL size and strength.

McCann's wrist shot is just a thing of beauty.

Subban seemed invisible to me. I dunno. Haven't noticed anything that warrants any hype.

Whistler was solid in net. Faced fewer shots, but still made some really good saves when he needed to. The lone goal to beat him was a fluke bank shot off of Petan's body as he cruised through the slot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:Virtanen is just a wrecking ball. He's so solid and just ragdolls anyone who isn't already NHL size and strength.

McCann's wrist shot is just a thing of beauty.

Subban seemed invisible to me. I dunno. Haven't noticed anything that warrants any hype.

Whistler was solid in net. Faced fewer shots, but still made some really good saves when he needed to. The lone goal to beat him was a fluke bank shot off of Petan's body as he cruised through the slot.
It's the way Subban moves that reminds me of PK. But you are right he doesn't deserve hype. He still needs time to learn the pro game and as others have said, his size will be a challenge when he begins playing against pros. The skill and tools are there, it's just a matter if he can put it all together and transition into the pro game. I hunk he can and will but it maybe a couple years away. I doubt he can play in the top 2 but I do think he will be a serviceable NHLer down the road.
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

NIce to see the game up close and personal. I think Guance, Subban, Cassels,Hutton, Virtanen and Shinkaruk will all be good NHL'ers. Much more structure to the game. Still a bit too much individual play trying to get noticed I think. I think Mceneny could make it. Pleasantly surprised by Stewart again, maybe Benning can judge talent. I see what they like about Brisebois he is a way aways yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban earn some call ups this year. I think Guance is the most NHL ready. Watched for Ehlers, the only reason I noticed him was because I was looking for him. Canucks dominated the game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Whoa, whoa, whoa HW, settle down with regards to Smurf Subban. Let's not get your hopes up creating another Steve Kariya making like his bro Paul dream. Reality check
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau