2015- 2016 Youngstars Tournament Roster

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2015- 2016 Youngstars Tournament Roster

Post by damonberryman »

ukcanuck wrote:Anton cederholm...
This will be his third or fourth? Young stars. I saw him play against the rockets a couple of seasons ago. He looked like a big body out then. I wonder how he's progressed and what his potential will max out at ...
Funny you mention that. I got a hunch this kid will play in the NHL.He also fights. I do not know if he wins but most of our guys on D will not fight at all, so that is an upgrade.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Topper wrote:intigued to see what Abols can do
yep a Latvian that played in the KHL and the Worlds .. and same for Zhukenov.. 18 year old that played for a second tier russian team .. not KHL
wondering what he's got that made him a draft pick..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Just looking at the photo's of the Canucks practicing in Brittannia this week, a few thoughts:

Gaunce looks super trim. Hopefully this summer he's been able to work on his acceleration and first step. He should have a solid year in a top six role in Utica.

Bo is sooo stocky. He's build like a tank.

Markstrom towers over Garrison in one photo. I'd forgotten just how big this kid is.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tiger wrote:
Topper wrote:intigued to see what Abols can do
yep a Latvian that played in the KHL and the Worlds .. and same for Zhukenov.. 18 year old that played for a second tier russian team .. not KHL
wondering what he's got that made him a draft pick..
Zhukenov sleeper pick! snuck by everyone.
BladesofSteel wrote:Just looking at the photo's of the Canucks practicing in Brittannia this week, a few thoughts:

Gaunce looks super trim. Hopefully this summer he's been able to work on his acceleration and first step. He should have a solid year in a top six role in Utica.

Bo is sooo stocky. He's build like a tank.

Markstrom towers over Garrison in one photo. I'd forgotten just how big this kid is.

I'm hoping Gaunce or Cassels can make it at least till the end of exhibition/preseason, they'd make great 4th liners for now and they'd get decent minutes in willie's 4 line roll.

Why Bo's nickname in junior was The Ox.

Goalies always take the longest to develop in the NHL longer than dmen, and especially in Florida land they probably didn't teach Marky well enough compared to this team which has taken leaps and bounds in improvement in developing our rookies/prospects, from guidance to juniors to now the crucial AHL teachings, plus decent NHL minutes for the 4th line/bottom pairing dmen and goalie backups.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Gaunce played wing last year and did a solid job. I think the Canucks feel he has a better shot making the NHL as a winger. The fact that he can play centre makes him more versatile for us.

Watching Markstrom in the Utica playoffs he really did look like a Ben Bishop. The comparisons Benning made were bang on. If he can translate that to the NHL we will have our future number one, ready to step up once Miller is done. Or we extend Miller on one year deals until Markstrom is ready. Talking 1-2 more years. By then Demko should be ready for back up duty.

Cassels has a good chance of making this team but I think realistically not until after Christmas. He is coming off a painful injury and hasn't been able to fully work out until recently. He says he is fine but I think the Canucks would want him playing half a season in Utica for a number of reasons.

One of this reasons is Vey. By Christmas this guy will have earned his job or will have one foot out the door. They want to push Vey this year to see if he can take the next step. If he can, good for us. If he can't, there are no third chances.

Outside of Virtanen I see Gaunce, Grenier and Jensen as the three battling it out for a roster spot. But we sure do need another centre so who knows. Maybe the do flip Gaunce back to centre and maybe Cassels impresses that much.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sounds like they'll gift Virtanen a spot, at least at first. Without other moves there is room for anyone else. We'll probably get a chance to see what Cassels, Gaunce and maybe Shinkaruk can do when injuries hit or we start dumping vets for picks.

I'd love to see one of the young guys force Vey onto the waiver-wire, but I doubt Benning and co. will admit their mistake in acquiring him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I'd love to see one of the young guys force Vey onto the waiver-wire, but I doubt Benning and co. will admit their mistake in acquiring him.
lol smh IN, give the sophomore a break, Vey had a decent season for a rookie, when injuries occur it'll be great to have a young experienced center to move up occasionally throughout the season.

Young guy will improve this season offensively and (defensively which usually comes with experience).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: I'd love to see one of the young guys force Vey onto the waiver-wire, but I doubt Benning and co. will admit their mistake in acquiring him.
lol smh IN, give the sophomore a break, Vey had a decent season for a rookie, when injuries occur it'll be great to have a young experienced center to move up occasionally throughout the season.

Young guy will improve this season offensively and (defensively which usually comes with experience).
Vey is weak, lacks all physicality, is terrible in the circle and is nearly completely ineffective save for when he's getting 2 minutes per game on the PP. Honestly, if Cassels can beat him out of a spot in training camp, our 4th line is in much better shape.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:

Vey is weak, lacks all physicality, is terrible in the circle and is nearly completely ineffective save for when he's getting 2 minutes per game on the PP. Honestly, if Cassels can beat him out of a spot in training camp, our 4th line is in much better shape.
Team needs some offensive punch in our bottom 6, Vey can provide that.

Faceoffs can always be worked on.

Anyways, point being IN Vey is coming out of his rookie season and is capable of improving, ya know rookies can improve right?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He's a fifth year pro . He's as strong as a 12 year old and if he doesn't improve his strength dramatically he will remain a useless piece of shit .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

lol no shit. Vey is the same age as Zack Kassian, who was chased out of town because this team thought he needed to try harder. Zack Kassain could provide offence from the bottom-six, with the added bonus of actually being able to play a top-6 NHL shift and provide some spine to his team. Linden Vey cannot do any of that. He avoids contact like a queer avoids vagina and he couldn't win a puck battle if his life depended on it.

But he sure tries hard and Willie loved him as a teenager, must be worth a 2nd! Rudy! Rudy!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Camman guys, Linden Vey has improved every season from juniors to the AHL, it's logical to perceive him doing the exact same in the NHL.

And as blob nicely pointed out he's not the strongest mofo out there, so Vey's bread and butter will be getting points in an depth role in the NHL, any faceoff/defensive awareness is bonus, plus while playing under the elite Los Angeles Kings development he's admitted that he needs to continue working on that,
Vey needs to remain focused on the task at hand, and like so many young prospects, his biggest challenge is his defensive play.

http://frozenroyalty.net/2013/10/18/la- ... ble-gifts/

“Linden has a great gift to see things on the offensive side, and he has a high hockey IQ,” said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. “As soon as he embraces the defensive game to the level that he needs to, the sooner he’ll be enjoying time on an airplane, instead of riding on a bus.”

“He’s a good person,” added Morris. “He works best with other players who think the game the way he does, and I think that sometimes, he gets a little frustrated that I’m going to demand that he plays defense first. But that’s the way it works. The better you defend, the more you’re going to have the puck on your stick, and that’s a challenge for guys who have led their leagues in scoring, and guys who have had a lot of accolades.”

“When you face situations where you’re being reminded about your defensive responsibilities, sometimes it’s not as flowery as you’d like it to be.”

Vey led all Canadian major junior hockey leagues in scoring in the 2010-11 season, scoring 46 goals and adding 70 assists for 116 points in 69 regular season games with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the Western Hockey League. But he did that without having to pay much attention to playing defense.

“Junior hockey, especially where I played, [in the Western Hockey League], is a lot of run-and-gun,” he explained. “You can get away with a lot of cheating, offensively, and not playing so well in the defensive zone, because you can make up for it. But when you get to the pro ranks, if you make one bad turnover, if you cheat, you give the other team a chance to score, and they’re going to put it in your net.”

“The biggest thing for me, the last two years, was working on that—being on the right side of the puck, and it’s really helped me on the offensive side of the game,” he elaborated.

When he was assigned to the Monarchs from the Kings training camp back in September, the Kings coaching staff also focused on his defensive play, but indicated that they like the progress he has made.

All they said was that you’ve got to keep improving, that you’ve come a long way, especially in the defensive zone,” said Vey. “But if you want play in the NHL and make an impact, you’ve got to make sure that all parts of your game are well-rounded.”

Over the past two seasons, Vey has become increasingly aware of that fact that he must improve his defensive play, and while in the Kings’ training camp last month, he watched the Kings centers closely.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Sounds like they'll gift Virtanen a spot, at least at first. Without other moves there is room for anyone else. We'll probably get a chance to see what Cassels, Gaunce and maybe Shinkaruk can do when injuries hit or we start dumping vets for picks.

I'd love to see one of the young guys force Vey onto the waiver-wire, but I doubt Benning and co. will admit their mistake in acquiring him.
Gaunce is miles ahead of Shinkaruk with regards to an NHL ready game. Hunter needs to fester in the AHL for awhile to work on rounding out his game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gaunce called up or even make the team off the hop

I also would not be surprised if Cassels is our 4th line centre at game 1. Like the idea of him centering Dorsett and Prust. It's a perfect fit

The Vey watch will be an interesting one. What would make things interesting if centres McCann and Cassels have excellent camps
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Gaunce is miles ahead of Shinkaruk with regards to an NHL ready game. Hunter needs to fester in the AHL for awhile to work on rounding out his game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gaunce called up or even make the team off the hop

I also would not be surprised if Cassels is our 4th line centre at game 1. Like the idea of him centering Dorsett and Prust. It's a perfect fit

The Vey watch will be an interesting one. What would make things interesting if centres McCann and Cassels have excellent camps
I agree Dude. I like Gaunce's frame and the way he plays the game. He'll likely never be a top-6 guy, but he could be the kind of big-bodied depth guy that will make life harder for opposing teams and help us own posession. Shinkaruk has a long way to go, but I can see him being called up if a guy like Baertschi goes down.

I think Cassels is perfect for a 4th line role as soon as this season. He's got that nastiness to his game that allows him to play on that that line, and the skill to move up the lineup, putting him with two mutts like Dorsett and Prust will only make his hate-factor amongst other teams grow x100.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Why is everyone penciling Vey into the 4th line?

WD has shown he wants to role 4 balanced, responsible lines. He maybe better suited for third line duties which would put Horvat on the fourth line.

Gaunce or Grenier may simply be our Matthias replacement. Jensen and Shinkaruk first offensive call ups. Cassels gets time in Utica. MCCann back to junior. Virtanen a nine game look see then a decision on his future.

Next year we are without Vrbata, Higgins at least freeing up a spot for Lucic and one more kid :mrgreen:

Who knows though. Maybe a couple of kids out perform a few regulars from last season and Benning trades a couple of guys for shit, to clear cap and or roster spots.
The only HW the Canucks need