Jim Ignitowski Benning

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Jim Ignitowski Benning

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So at some point will the Canucks ever become a team that initiates physical contact? They seem to get outhit , and by a huge margin every single game. It's the softest group I can remember seeing in 40 years of watching
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So at some point will the Canucks ever become a team that initiates physical contact? They seem to get outhit , and by a huge margin every single game. It's the softest group I can remember seeing in 40 years of watching
Can we request more games with TO? :lol:

Your right though, they don't hit much but it really appears more like a system of play thing then a soft thing.
Just guessing.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mondi wrote:I guess we've reached peak GMJB...we are currently sitting in 18th place overall. Not likely to grab a playoff spot, no chance at first pick overall.

Those people who wanted a "competitive" team got their wish. The only problem is, this isn't a young team trending up. It is a team of old guys, tweeners/fringe NHLers, and some good young pieces. Oh no, this isn't 2000 where an elite new core is emerging. This is a team that is grinding out points and may well get worse before it gets better.

Hopefully, the additions of Boesser, Juolevi, and plug Virtanen next season will make this team more 2000 Vancouver Canucks and less 2009 Calgary Flames.
I think I'm somewhat more hopeful and don't think I see the trend quite that negative, (maybe Jake).
Maybe Boeser next year but I really doubt Juolevi. Having said that, I would like to see him play with men in Europe next year as opposed of another year in London. Just speculating at this point.
"evolution"
Kenji
MVP
MVP

Post by Kenji »

I have not given up on Rodin. And there may be assets up front from trades made at the back, if Pedan and/or Subban graduate and can usurp an incumbent
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 am Boeser...I would like to see him play with men in Europe
:wow:
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 pm
micky107 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 am Boeser...I would like to see him play with men in Europe
:wow:
Guys a f**king idiot huh?
"evolution"
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Well, i think I'm there now - I would be completely fine to see JB go on his merry way. He's pretty damn good at drafting, but when it comes to embracing a progressive vision and having the savvy to wheel an deal, yeah not so good.

We finished last season with the worst defence in the league, then he turned around and had virtually the same cast of defense go into the following season! WTF!? Some kind of magical thinking going on there man. Its a frikin waste of time in all our lives to have to wait a year and then exclaim, 'well look at that, its true, if nothing changes, then nothing changes' - how about that. An by the way, clinging to the belief that a stringy 18 year old defenceman named Quintan is going to lead our defense to the promised land is yet another example of magical thinking. One big time hit and he could be done; he might help out offensively, but he's not likely going to be physical enough to cut down on goals against - we'll see.

Thank goodness we had Petterson to inspire and provide some kind of hope this year. Just imagine though, if Petey wasnt the calder kind of player he is, and Markstrom didnt take it up another level, the season would have been just dreadful! We lucked out there, but we still suck miserably.

So yeah yeah JB is good at drafting, so great, make him the head scout if he's willing, but otherwise, please, its time, lets turn a page and move on. Im sure that the JB 'loyalists' would want to roll in the dust and knash their teeth for awhile, then burp fart, another GM soon illicits his own kind of following and life goes on. Operating from a state of loyalist sentimentalism will get ya no where, and that is how Benning tends to operate, and it seems to be represented in a large percentage of Canuck fans too.

If nothing else, this was cathartic for me. So thanks for your time. Goodness knows, as a Canuck fan, you'll have lots of time outside of playoff hockey to wonder/speculate what could/should have been versus what was.
cc oldtimer
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Good thing we drafted 3 forwards last summer.

Genius at his best.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Unless there is some MAJOR deadline deal cooking that we don't know about yet, and barring a homerun at the draft or in July, Benning is getting a massive F for the last few months.

Injuries be hanged, when your team is DESPERATE for scoring help and top-6 leadership, and the biggest fish in the pond goes to Vegas for a B+ prospect, a 27 year old bottom-6 center, and a 2nd round pick. Benning could have, and should have, beaten that without touching Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, or Hughes.

Instead we see the only push-back presence the team really has get shipped out for another potential reclamation project, which is essentially a wash because Gudbranson's skill level just wasn't where it needed to be and Pearson is borderline cheaper and may or may not return to 40 point form. So let's get rid of a defenseman, something we're in short supply of, and add ANOTHER almost $4M player who might be as much dead production weight as the last forward we got in a trade with Pittsburgh.

Then ship out a young Swedish forward for another young Swedish forward, and while the one we get is 2 years younger, he is struggling to put up less than 0.5ppg in the same league that the guy we shipped out put up 1.0ppg at the same age. But of course the guy we are getting rid of "didn't want to pay his dues".

We've all slaughtered Gillis for the hand-cuffing he left in terms of NTC's and NMC's, but at least he gave them out to players who were getting it done in the top-6 and top-4 at the time.....and their cap hits were then reasonable. Benning may be stocking the cupboards, but I'd expect more after 5 years, and he's doling out NTC's to guys who are looking like borderline oxygen thieves when they take to the ice.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:24 pm Unless there is some MAJOR deadline deal cooking that we don't know about yet, and barring a homerun at the draft or in July, Benning is getting a massive F for the last few months.

Injuries be hanged, when your team is DESPERATE for scoring help and top-6 leadership, and the biggest fish in the pond goes to Vegas for a B+ prospect, a 27 year old bottom-6 center, and a 2nd round pick. Benning could have, and should have, beaten that without touching Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, or Hughes.
“Brannstrom is likely the top D prospect in the league aside from Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar” - Blob Mckenzie

“Brannstrom is a top 5 prospect in the world. He is equivalent to Quinton Hughes” - Blob Mckenzie

“Would you flip Hughes and a 2nd for Stone ?” – Blob Mckenzie

“Hell no - think Hughes, 2nd and Lind. Brannstrom is almost as good a prospect as Hughes, and would Vancouver do that trade?” – Diehard1

Face it, we weren't getting Stone without giving up Hughes.

And we likely weren't getting Stone anyway as we likely weren't on the list of teams for which he would sign an extension.

I guess you would give 29 NHL GMs "a massive F".

Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:24 pm Instead we see the only push-back presence the team really has get shipped out for another potential reclamation project, which is essentially a wash because Gudbranson's skill level just wasn't where it needed to be and Pearson is borderline cheaper and may or may not return to 40 point form. So let's get rid of a defenseman, something we're in short supply of, and add ANOTHER almost $4M player who might be as much dead production weight as the last forward we got in a trade with Pittsburgh.
Most Canuck fans wanted Whipping Boy Gudbranson gone for a sack of pucks.

Tanner Pearson is better than a a sack of pucks.

Weren't you one of the ones ragging on him?

Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:24 pm Then ship out a young Swedish forward for another young Swedish forward, and while the one we get is 2 years younger, he is struggling to put up less than 0.5ppg in the same league that the guy we shipped out put up 1.0ppg at the same age. But of course the guy we are getting rid of "didn't want to pay his dues".
What happened to: “I'm honestly meh on the trade” – Mëds

When you begin to question Lord Benning's amateur scouting ability you know you've gone off the rails. 8-)

Besides, look at it this way, now you won't have to worry about whether or not to protect Dahlen in the expansion draft! :wink:

Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:24 pm We've all slaughtered Gillis for the hand-cuffing he left in terms of NTC's and NMC's, but at least he gave them out to players who were getting it done in the top-6 and top-4 at the time.....and their cap hits were then reasonable. Benning may be stocking the cupboards, but I'd expect more after 5 years, and he's doling out NTC's to guys who are looking like borderline oxygen thieves when they take to the ice.
The 5 of them are all partial NTCs... and are of the sort you need to give out here and there in a rebuild IMESHO.

(when you can trade a player to half the teams in the league it's not exactly a NO TRADE clause amirite?)

Other than all that... nice rant! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

^^^Brilliant work by Doc once again^^^
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Fabian brunnstrom?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:18 pm ^^^Brilliant work by Doc once again^^^
^^^The online equivalent of a reach around^^^

If an extension was an option with Stone, you'd have to at least consider moving Hughes to land him. Not surprising he wouldn't be interested in coming/staying here.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Dude suckin docs knob so hard his balls sound like the ice cubes in the bottom of the cup when all the cokes gone
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mark Stone, Matt Duschene, Erik Karlsson - winners. When they were together the Senators were amazing, a handful, deadly. Those 3 superstars made that Ottawa Senator team elite. I will say it again - winners
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau