2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well don't think we will be shitty enough to land Matthews, Chychrun, Pujujarvi or Tkachuck but think we could be in the running for D-men Clague, Fabbro or forwards Steel, Jost, Bensen, Brown, Jones or Gauthier. Still see us as a lottery team in 2016.

I really like this Gauthier kid - 6'-4" 220 lbs, the only 2016 class kid invited to the recent Under 20 Canadian summer tourney against Russia and the Czechs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by SKYO »

I bet we'll end up with TWO 1st rounders in the top 20th overall next draft, so we need ya to give a top 25 analysis of 2016 draft RD. :mrgreen:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

A little early for this thread??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nah, prospects fluctuate rising up the charts or crash from the beginning of season till the draft.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Madcombinepilot wrote:A little early for this thread??
Dude needs enough time to be high, then low, then high again, on every potential pick.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:A little early for this thread??
Dude needs enough time to be high, then low, then high again, on every potential pick.
I plead the 5th
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Matthews playing in the Swiss league next season does that help or hurt him? Crawford will be his coach.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Matthews playing in the Swiss league next season does that help or hurt him? Crawford will be his coach.
Interesting stuff, http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 26526.html

He could have went to the NCAA or WHL’s Everett Silvertips route, but chose the Swiss??

The Lions are coached by former NHL bench boss Marc Crawford and have reached the NLA final in three of the last four seasons, winning twice. Said Crawford to Today's Slapshot's Sean Tierney in May: "There is no doubt that [Matthews] can play and excell [sic] in the Swiss NLA and I believe it is the perfect training ground for young athletes. He will be coached by an NHL coach he will be challenged by playing against men in a fast skating, highly skilled league. He will learn what it is like to play the systems that will be utilized as he continues to rise up the hockey ranks."

If selected no. 1 overall next June in Buffalo, the Scottsdale, Ariz.-born Matthews will be the first American-born player to go first since Patrick Kane in 2007.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well Skyo, he gets paid now. Don't know what they are paying him but he gets to play in Europe and earn some money. Not a bad deal for the kid.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well Skyo, he gets paid now. Don't know what they are paying him but he gets to play in Europe and earn some money. Not a bad deal for the kid.
In the comments dude said -
Average Salary by a single player was EUR 63 500, while the so-called. The median salary in the league was EUR 53 000. Per month, the average salary is 5080 euros per month and mediaaniliksa EUR 4240 a month.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Well Skyo, he gets paid now. Don't know what they are paying him but he gets to play in Europe and earn some money. Not a bad deal for the kid.
In the comments dude said -
Average Salary by a single player was EUR 63 500, while the so-called. The median salary in the league was EUR 53 000. Per month, the average salary is 5080 euros per month and mediaaniliksa EUR 4240 a month.

Not too shabby for a just turned 18, not to mentioned the endorsement deals he can sign now too. It will be interesting to see if this starts a trend. While not as physical as North America, in the Swiss league he can work on his skating and skills. For 18-19 year olds that have nothing left to prove in junior I wonder if this will be a way to get them out of junior and in a men's league. As well those leagues stress systems play of team defence. Why not send Virtanen or McCann there for a year?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently the Finnish dynamic duo of Pujujarvi and Laine outplayed Matthews at the recent States hosted tourney against the Finns and Swedes

Apparently Tkachuks kid and even our prospect Boeser played better than Matthews

Team Csnadas U18 team looking great in the Ivan Hlinka tourney exhibition games.

Liking the looks of this 2016 draft class, too bad Chychrun is out from a recent shoulder surgery.

Some real good Canadian D men this coming draft - Chychrun, Clague, Fabbro, Bean to name a few
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Some real good Canadian D men this coming draft - Chychrun, Clague, Fabbro, Bean to name a few
That is fantastic news, because we could really use a solid d (or three) in our prospect pool, especially considering they generally take longer to develop.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Not too shabby for a just turned 18, not to mentioned the endorsement deals he can sign now too. It will be interesting to see if this starts a trend. While not as physical as North America, in the Swiss league he can work on his skating and skills. For 18-19 year olds that have nothing left to prove in junior I wonder if this will be a way to get them out of junior and in a men's league. As well those leagues stress systems play of team defence. Why not send Virtanen or McCann there for a year?
I imagine it will be a popular decision for those American kids that want to turn pro quickly (avoiding NCAA) while making a few bucks and playing against men. Canadian CHL-drafted players start with Major Junior clubs earlier (16 or 17), and with the agreements in place between the CHL and NHL I doubt any GM's wanna rock the boat by sending their kids to Europe. I wonder if there is something in the transfer agreements that preclude North American kids signed to an NHL contract but still junior-eligible to go to Europe? I could see teams like Calgary being quite cheesed if they lost Virtanen to Europe at 18.

The other thing is the Marc Crawford factor, which apparently played a role in Matthews' decision.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm sure those leagues have import rules as well. And I doubt a top league will want to become a developmental league for the NHL, anymore than they already are. But an interesting alternative for some players.