2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:That's what I'm saying IN, Gillis went with the BPA on your boi Shinky, even ignoring the massive warning signs of why said player was falling like a rock in the rankings like no other. That time he should have chose to draft by need i.e.- Theodore, especially considering only drafting one defenceman - Sauve,'in the top two rounds of his 5 previous drafts as your Canuck GM. I agree about drafting by need sometimes. The BPA theory did work with the Cassels pick as it was quite obvious that we did not need another young centre at the time when we just drafted Horvat and already had Schroeder and Gaunce in the system
If only Gillis had known that Theodore was going to be picked two spots later and thus should have been the player taken under a "positional need" scheme. Or for us Canucks fans, if only Gillis' idea of the BPA had been Marko Dano who after 30 games in the NHL looked good enough to be a major part of the package that landed a 22 year old star player in Brandon Saad.

By the way, any regrets about not taking Haydn Fleury at 6 last year, Dude? :look:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: What's the word on Sean Day, Dude? 6'2, 220, 17-year old D-man playing for Mississauga. Granted exceptional status (like Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid)... where's he supposed to go?
Eliteprospects has him listed at 247 pounds. Holy Nick Ritchie.
The dude is falling faster than the Dow Jones was yesterday. Shouldn't have been granted exceptional status as it looks now. Apparently not the greatest IQ.
Yep, I'd been reading that.

Still, seems like an intriguing prospect, probably could stand to improve on his conditioning if he's actually playing at nearly 250 pounds at 17. Apparently he wasn't in the greatest shape and that's a reason he was left off the Hlinka team. Definitely an NHL frame and his stats aren't terrible either (12G 36 points on a terrible Mississauga team). Maybe a trade to a team like London would help him out.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote: By the way, any regrets about not taking Haydn Fleury at 6 last year, Dude? :look:
Not a chance. I love how the Canucks Hockeysfuture Fickle Crowd are completely downcast on Virtanen "should have drafted more Hunter Shrimpkaruks in Ehlers or Nylander instead"!!!! WHAAAAAA" Fuck that shit. dbr, you must be spending too much time over there, your tainted. VIrtanen and Kenins will be the Hit Machine. Jake is exactly what we need on the wings with his speed, hitting and shot. Not a fan of Fleury, never was.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Its a joke, Dude, christ - Fleury is your "positional need" pick at 6 last year and looking like a terrible one at that.

I like Jake and hope he pans out and as a relatively young, raw player from that class I'm not wringing my hands over anything at this point.

That said my own preference before the draft was to trade down if it meant another pick in the 20s and seeing guys like Fabbri, McCann, Scherbak and Barbashev having gone around there hasn't exactly got me convinced I was wrong on that..
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

haha^ just to chime in ol' chaps, iirc dude was very insistent on not taking a dman in the 1st round the last couple of drafts...I recall because I was hell bent on targeting Ekblad if we moved up to #1/#2., and as for Fleury I think he thought he'd be a poor mans Seabrook and should be targeted outside the top 10?

Anyways we are severely lacking any high-end dmen in our prospect ranks, however we have projects in Tryamkin and Subban.

Possible #4 dmen Hutton/Corrado.

Unknown to me yet is Guillaume Brisebois, this link http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/6/2 ... -brisebois has him pegged as a possible #2 dman.

Then the even lesser knowns to me, Pedan, Cederholm, Sautner, Neill.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

My dream is that we win the lottery and get 3rd overall. We would probably have to acquire a 1st rounder that will also be in the lottery, to increase our chances (I don't see us being a bottom 10 team). And then, if Chychrun is already gone, I would like to see us take Jesse Puljaarvi at number three, despite our obvious need for defensmen.

I think we will get at least two first round picks, so we could use our second pick in the first round on a defensmen. We also have our second(s) and third(s) in a really deep draft.

We could have an absolutely ridiculous top 6 of:

Virtanen - Horvat - Puljaarvi
Shinkaurik/Baertschi - McCann - Boeser

I think I saw somewhere that Virtanen can play LW, so this seems possible. This would bump down one of either Baertschi/Shinkaurik though. Maybe we trade one of them for a D prospect? Keep the better one and receive another D prospect.

So all in all, we end up with:

Puljaarvi (Elite top-line goal scorer)
D-Prospect (Second pick in the first round)
D-Prospect (Possible trade involving Baertschi/Shinkaurik)

I think this year we have a pretty good shot at landing some top end talent, with the top three picks being lotteries.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

Question: From what you guys have seen/heard so far, would you say that Tyler Benson can put up points in the NHL? From the little that I've seen/heard on him, he seems like a versatile, two-way player, but i'm not so sure about point production. He seems like a player that could be in our range on draft day (I've seen him ranked between 8th and 15th). Do you think he'd be a player that could replace Shinaurik/Baertschi if one of them falls of a cliff?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Draft from the Giants - Dmitry Osipov, I went to a Giants game and this dude will be a great defensive dman in the NHL, just the usual stuff he needs to work for a tall guy 6'4, skating/strength conditioning.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

SKYO wrote:Draft from the Giants - Dmitry Osipov, I went to a Giants game and this dude will be a great defensive dman in the NHL, just the usual stuff he needs to work for a tall guy 6'4, skating/strength conditioning.
I haven't heard of him. When's he supposed to go?

I think our obvious need is defensman, but we also don't really have much behind Shinkaurik at LW either. With all the forward talent in this draft, I would like us to take a guy like Tkachuk, Puuljarvi, Benson, Laine, Jones or Gauthier. (I know I threw in some RW's in there too, but Virtenen could shift over to LW to make room).

On defence so far Chychrun (obviously), Fabbro, Juleovi, Day, Bean or Klague would all be solid picks.

I have a pretty long list so I won't be disappointed :lol:

I'm not to sure we get more than 1, maybe 2 1st Round Picks (extra comes from a trade involving Vrbata).I'm not sure we sell Hamhuis, as our D-core already looks slightly below average in terms of depth. With how our team's been looking early on, we probably aren't going to sell more than Vrbata. Our pick looks like it will probably be in the 14-22 range.

There's a lot that could change over the course of the year, but hopefully we get one or two good players from this draft.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat1C wrote:
SKYO wrote:Draft from the Giants - Dmitry Osipov, I went to a Giants game and this dude will be a great defensive dman in the NHL, just the usual stuff he needs to work for a tall guy 6'4, skating/strength conditioning.
I have no ideal, he's under the radar for now in the mainstream sites for prospects, but I actually watched Osipov play vs the Rockets and he blocked a shit load of shots, he's a tall 6'4 Russian defensive dman, and I read that the Giants picked him 1st overall in the CHL import draft, he could have easily went to the KHL but chose good' ol Canadian junior hockey to hone his craft.
July 2013 - https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc ... 57772.html

The Vancouver Giants kicked off the annual CHL import draft, or whatever you want to call it, by selecting highly touted Russian defenceman Dmitry Osipov.

Despite being the No. 1 pick of the 2013 KHL junior draft, it seems the 6-foot-1, 179-pound Osipov will join the Giants. Osipov’s agent, Ritch Winter, told Vancouver Province columnist Steve Ewen, “He’s coming (to Vancouver). He could have made a lot of money in the KHL. Tells you all you need to know."
He'd be a good 2nd or 3rd round pick imho.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

SKYO wrote:
Horvat1C wrote:
I have no ideal, he's under the radar for now in the mainstream sites for prospects, but I actually watched Osipov play vs the Rockets and he blocked a shit load of shots, he's a tall 6'4 Russian defensive dman, and I read that the Giants picked him 1st overall in the CHL import draft, he could have easily went to the KHL but chose good' ol Canadian junior hockey to hone his craft.
July 2013 - https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc ... 57772.html

The Vancouver Giants kicked off the annual CHL import draft, or whatever you want to call it, by selecting highly touted Russian defenceman Dmitry Osipov.

Despite being the No. 1 pick of the 2013 KHL junior draft, it seems the 6-foot-1, 179-pound Osipov will join the Giants. Osipov’s agent, Ritch Winter, told Vancouver Province columnist Steve Ewen, “He’s coming (to Vancouver). He could have made a lot of money in the KHL. Tells you all you need to know."
He'd be a good 2nd or 3rd round pick imho.
Sounds like a solid bottom-pair guy. I agree, we should target him in the 2nd/3rd round.

Good to see an update on Cederholm as well.

One thing that I've been thinking about is we need more right-handed defensemen. Tanev is the only righty on the team right now (Weber hasn't played yet). Most of our D prospects are left-handed as well (Briesbois, Hutton, Cederholm, Pedan and Trymakin), as opposed to our right-handed one (Subban).

My two favorite defensemen (Bean and Fabbro) are both righties :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bob McKenzies top 15 in October

1. Matthews - centre
2. Chychrun - defence
3. Pujiujarvi - right wing
4. Laine - left wing
5. Tkachuk - left wing
6. Nylander - right wing
7. McLeod - centre
8. Dubois - left wing
9. Clague - Defence
10. Jones - left wing

11. Gauthier - right wing
12. Sokolov - centre
13. Juolevi - defence
14. Benson - left wing
15. Sergachyov - defence

Honourable mentions

Bellows - centre
Brown - centre
Dube - left wing
Fabbro - defence
Steel - centre
Jost - right wing
Bean - defence

The Canucks will most likely be a top 10.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I'm thinking top 5 with any luck . Jake Bean is way too low on that list . Kid is going to be a stud .Fabbro and Jost not getting any love either . Bcjhl is a good league .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm thinking top 5 with any luck . Jake Bean is way too low on that list . Kid is going to be a stud .
Yeah Bobs list was compiled before the junior season started, Bean has been on fire since game 1. He's not very big like a lot of the top D in 2016 are other than Chychrun and Juolevi but Bean is pretty slick. He could go top 7. The top 5 probably will stay in tack but it's rocky after that. Bean and Nylander have started the season on fire and will probably be the next 2, hard to say, you'll see some big changes in the ranking area of 6 through to 20 over the season.

With how the lottery is jigged this year, the top 3 get each their own lottery draw. Very good chance the Nucks get a top 3 pick if WD keeps it up
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Something tells me this thread is going to get more popular as the season wears on.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."