Canucks land Brandon Sutter and 3rd round pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Canucks land Brandon Sutter and 3rd round pick

Post by theman »

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have acquired Brandon Sutter and a 3rd round pick from Pittsburgh in exchange for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a 2nd round pick in 2016
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks land Brendan Sutter and 3rd round pick

Post by theman »

I was very disappointed with the way Bonino played in the 2nd half of the season, but was willing to give him one more chance. Overall I think this is one of the better trades Benning has made. Clandenning, to me, is a throw in. My only nitpick of the trade would be us giving up the 2nd.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Seems like a pretty fair swap. Sutter is probably a Clandenning and a round of draft picks better than Bonino. Meh. Shuffle that deck I guess.
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Wow...Sutter is 3C. So Bo is 2C now for sure. Why did we give the better
pick?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I like the fact that Sutter is a Canuck - he's bigger, younger (yeah, I know, by about a year) and plays tougher.

A bit of an overpayment, though. Sutter and a 3rd for Bonino and essentially two 2nd-rounders. Is this another case of Benning going after a guy he wants, regardless of cost?

I think Bones was miscast as a potential 2nd-line C. We'll still have essentially a 1st line, two 3rd lines and a 4th line but at least no ones should expect Sutter to centre a second line. Maybe management really thinks Bo can fill that job?

With Clendenning gone, does that necessarily mean Benning could acquire another D?

Hopefully Benning can recoup the pick somewhere else. He's getting a tad cavalier with his 2nd-rounders. So much for his dyed-in-the-wool bird dog reputation...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

To me this trade makes no sense - we get the slightly younger, just as good, more expensive centre - their values should be about equal. We give up a prospect dman and a pick on top of it. Is this our pick or Anaheim's? Nobody has said yet. If it's our pick we basically lose a full round, though we do get our own 3rd back as we get the higher of their 3rd rounders.

If it's Anaheim's pick (50-60) for ours (65-75) then I'm not as fussed, but this still doesn't make much sense. Sutter is a UFA after this season as well so I assume we'll sign him to a long term deal, likely for too much cash. At least he fills a set role and allows Horvat to be the #2 guy, which is good longer term. Sutter is also right handed and decent on the draw which both help.

Still don't think the team is better after this acquisition - they aren't much worse but they don't improve, and they now have even less money to sign Baertschi.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Apparently the Pens have received Anaheim's 2nd rounder and we have received Buffalo's 3rd rounder. So the pick swap is not as bad as originally thought to be.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Just heard that the 2nd is Anaheim's, and the 3rd is Buffalo's (Bylsma compensation). I guess that's something but they are likely to be less than 10 picks apart, not as big a deal as I first thought.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

lol
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

The thing I find most interesting about this deal is that the players traded away (Bonino, Clendening) were both Benning trade acquisitions... that is fairly strange. Makes it sound like Benning went after Sutter, and allowed Pittsburgh to select freely from the existing roster.

I didn't like Bonino or Clendening a whole lot - other than Bonino's cheap contract vs. perfomance - so I suppose this trade is decent if you're attempting to build a team that can compete in 2015/16. Unfortunately I have no faith that the roster can actually compete.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

At least we get rid of Boner. What a disappointment.

Not that Sutter is a huge improvement but at least he finishes his checks.

Clendenning obviously isn't worth much...as we all expected. Let's hope Forsling doesn't ever make an NHL roster better....particularly the hated black cocks
If you need air...call it in
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Henrick, Sutter and Bo are our top 3 centres...pretty solid IMO.

Can't help but wonder though, what is the "plan"? This is not a trade for the future, but a trade that helps us make the playoffs next year. Hard to see how Sutter fits long term...his next contract will likely be more than his current rate so is he trade deadline fodder? I guess JB doesn't think any of the young centres will be ready anytime soon.

Obviously JB did not see Bonino as a LT solution and Clendenning was redundant with Corrado pushing to make the team.

Time will tell....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This trade will be ok if the team shits the bed and Sutter can be flipped at the deadline for a decent return. Knowing Ignitowski though , he will sign Sutter to a long term deal for 5 million a season . Bonino was cheap labour for the next two seasons . I have a feeling if he was offered around the league with a 2nd pick attached to him he may have fetched more than Sutter . Sutter is a bit bigger and a bit more physical but to me these players are basically a wash .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

This is a very good deal, I think.

Let's take a couple of things off the table. The difference between what will be a 50-60 pick and a 61-70 pick is more or less a wash. Of course the earlier pick is more valuable, but only marginally. Perhaps its "best" value is to grab a deadline guy that should command a third but the competitive team has the option of dangling a second. That's important for Pittsburgh; probably not Vancouver so much.

Clendening. I thought he did a decent job in his limited action with the Canucks. But he got worse, not better, as he was exposed to more ice time. His brain farts were numerous. His overall defense does not look yet to be an NHL regular, though his movement suggests he could be. His offense didn't show last year but could elevate him to a bottom pairing guy. Not a bad guy to have in an organization. But the NHL (and AHL) are full of tweeners. And the Canucks have theirs: Corrado (still young enough to develop and, if I am not mistaken, needs to be carried on the roster or waived), Bartkowski, Fedun (arguably not quite a tweener), Weber (who is only an NHLer for the power play), you get the picture. Sbisa might be in that category, too, but is remarkably in the top 4....

Point is, the Clendenings of the world (certainly what he can contribute now) are always available on the waiver wire and don't have much of a value other than so that the guy you go into the season with on the bench or the first call up went through training camp with your team and not someone elses..... That's what Pittsburgh gets; what Vancouver gets is Frank Corrado.

So the draft pick swap and Clendenning tip the scales to Pittsburgh marginally. But then compare the principles: Bonino and Suter. Both are solid NHL players with significant holes in their games. Both are streaky offensively. Bonino was responsible defensively, but not good. At the end of the day Sutter is a better skater and a far more effective player in the defensive zone. He will be good on the PK. He is average at the dot -- thus better than Bonino. But he is *not* a crasher; he does not intimidate or antagonize. In that way he is not Kesler before he could score. Bonino's superior quality is that he is a better playmaker than Sutter (Sutter's almost as bad distributing the puck as Matthias) -- and that's the quality that has teams thinking Bonino is a second line center and Sutter really will not be more than a third line center.

But at the end of the day, a "top half" 3C is more valuable than a "bottom half" 2C. Or at least I think so. Because not only does having a legitimate defensive 3C keep some goals out of your net, it decreases the likelihood you will have to match top lines because your third line is getting kicked around.

The real x factor in this trade, though, is Bo Horvat. If Horvat can be a second line center at least of Bonino's quality (and I think he can based on what we saw in the last half of last year -- if not next year, in two -- remember, he is young), then this deal makes complete sense. Because Horvat 2C and Sutter 3C is far better than Bonino 2C/Horvat 3C (or Horvat 2C/Bonino 3C) IF (but only if) Horvat can be at least a close to 20 goal 45 point guy.

That's the thing about trades and why teams make them and why sometimes both teams are better off. Because of the effect on the entire lineup.

For what its worth, I see nothing wrong with a move that entrusts Horvat to continue his significant growth. Because if he doesn't grow, the Canucks are screwed for a long, long time. You can't hedge in today's NHL when you don't have depth.
Hono_rary Canadian
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks land Brandan Sutter and 3rd round pick

Post by TDA Rum »

I like the trade, Sutter skates way better than Bonino, better at face offs, shots are equal, Sutter loads of character, wasn't a big fan of Clendenning, think Corrado is better & more upside for cheaper, draft picks are pretty much a wash late 2nd for early 3rd...