Pick Your Least Favourite Benning Move

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is your least favourite Benning move?

Signing Ryan Miller for 3 years $6M per
15%
Ryan Kesler and 3rd round pick 2015 (Deven Sideroff) for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, 1st round pick 2014 (Jared McCann), and 3rd round pick 2014 (later traded for Derek Dorsett)
No votes
Jason Garrison, rights to Jeff Costello and 7th round pick 2015 (Jack Sadek) for 2nd round pick 2014 (later traded for Linden Vey)
No votes
2nd round pick 2014 (Roland McKeown) for Linden Vey
5%
3rd round pick 2016 and Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan
No votes
2nd round pick 2015 (Rasmus Andersson) for Sven Baertschi
No votes
Re-sign Luca Sbisa for 3 years at $3.6M per
38%
Kevin Bieksa for 2nd round pick 2016
No votes
Eddie Lack for 2015 3rd round pick (Guillaume Brisebois) and 7th round pick 2016
10%
Zack Kassian and 5th round pick 2016 for Brandon Prust
31%

Total votes: 39

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Pick Your Least Favourite Benning Move

Post by Boston Canucker »

Yeah, I'm not buying any logic to the Sbisa contract, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. It's a teardown/rebuild, and it pretty much has to be, so as long as they play the kids, Sbisa can be the Jason Strudwick of this era...a serviceable if deeply flawed D-man on a team in transition that is okay with bottoming out. If it be so, then it be so.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I am not down on Virtanen, from what I saw at the WJC, he is a year or two removed from the NHL and has some things to work on. He was a bit of a square peg in a round hole on that WJC team.

Unlike CoHo, Jake's game will transition very well to the NHL, Cody still trys to play like he's facing CHL defencemen.

Thank you for apologizing Reef.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:I am not down on Virtanen, from what I saw at the WJC, he is a year or two removed from the NHL and has some things to work on. He was a bit of a square peg in a round hole on that WJC team.

Unlike CoHo, Jake's game will transition very well to the NHL, Cody still trys to play like he's facing CHL defencemen.

Thank you for apologizing Reef.
What will get Virtanen to the NHL is his speed, size, hitting, grit and shot. Virtanen actually sees the ice really well when he has the puck in the O-zone, he can make some nice plays and can dish the puck. He's also a Ferland with Skill. I could see Virtanen thriving in the playoffs. Fellow big man right winger Boeser is crafty around the net, and great at protecting the puck, better IQ than Virtanen at putting himself in a position to score, gets compared to Pavelski. I like the future of our RW
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Boston Canucker wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying any logic to the Sbisa contract, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. It's a teardown/rebuild, and it pretty much has to be, so as long as they play the kids, Sbisa can be the Jason Strudwick of this era...a serviceable if deeply flawed D-man on a team in transition that is okay with bottoming out. If it be so, then it be so.
The best thing about Sbisas contract is its not very long. After you get over the sticker shock its not the end of the world.
Besides...his presence in the lineup is key to drafting high ;)
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying any logic to the Sbisa contract, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. It's a teardown/rebuild, and it pretty much has to be, so as long as they play the kids, Sbisa can be the Jason Strudwick of this era...a serviceable if deeply flawed D-man on a team in transition that is okay with bottoming out. If it be so, then it be so.
You start off saying you're not buying the logic... and end up buying the logic. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

RoyalDude wrote:
Topper wrote:I am not down on Virtanen, from what I saw at the WJC, he is a year or two removed from the NHL and has some things to work on. He was a bit of a square peg in a round hole on that WJC team.
What will get Virtanen to the NHL is his speed, size, hitting, grit and shot. Virtanen actually sees the ice really well when he has the puck in the O-zone, he can make some nice plays and can dish the puck. He's also a Ferland with Skill.
This could bring Virtanen here next year, like how Horvat was handled without an emphasis on scoring. A 4th line (or 3B under WD) winger with a gradually increased role. It's almost like an apprenticeship when you think of it.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

What will get Virtanen to the NHL is politics.

Those attributes will serve him (and the team) well once he's here and up to speed.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Strangelove wrote:
You start off saying you're not buying the logic... and end up buying the logic. :wink:
Not so much buying as looking through the shop window and trying to figure out what's for sale...apparently it's today's Jason Strudwick for almost 4 mill per...such a deal!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
If the logic is to drive the team into the toilet then signing Sbisa to that contract and playing him in the top 4 makes perfect sense . Yeah he is no Jason Strudwick . About the same skill level , but Strudwick was a far tougher player .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: If the logic is to drive the team into the toilet then signing Sbisa to that contract and playing him in the top 4 makes perfect sense . Yeah he is no Jason Strudwick . About the same skill level , but Strudwick was a far tougher player .
He's young Blobster... and it's only a 3-year deal in the midst of a rebuild.

If he doesn't greatly improve over those 3 years he'll be gone.

If he does greatly improve we can extend him.

Hey, I was the first guy here to hate on Sbisa... but, big picture, I don't see a ton of harm in this cuz

REBUILD
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote: Not so much buying as looking through the shop window and trying to figure out what's for sale...apparently it's today's Jason Strudwick for almost 4 mill per...such a deal!
Hey, no one said it wasn't a huge over-payment. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: If the logic is to drive the team into the toilet then signing Sbisa to that contract and playing him in the top 4 makes perfect sense . Yeah he is no Jason Strudwick . About the same skill level , but Strudwick was a far tougher player .

Hey, I was the first guy here to hate on Sbisa... but, big picture, I don't see a ton of harm in this cuz

REBUILD
Yeah because if they hadn't thrown the money at sbisa, they would be in the market for an over the hill UFA this year and who needs a guy taking a spot from a young guy on a rebuilding/retooling/restructuring team?

Sbisa might actually improve

He can't be as bad as all that.

If I just got off the plane from Mars (or the UAE) listening to blob and almost everyone else here at the corner I would think the guy can't tie his own shoes

I gotta think you need a certain level of ability to make the NHL
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I have said it before and I will say it again. I'm not exactly on the anti-Sbisa train. The guy is decent/serviceable and without playing alongside casual Kev next year I think we will see a lot more stable game from him. I hope he can slot in with Tanev. That will hopefully settle him down. The problem would be breaking up the Tanev/Edler pairing. By far our best one.

The Kassian trade still bothers me. I understand all of the issues off of the ice from behaviour to injury weren't great for the team but I held out hope he was going to mature and become a reliable top six forward at a low cap hit. I think his age and (albeit fading) potential was a bigger loss than his presence in the lineup. Only time will tell I guess.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

REBUILD
Yeah because if they hadn't thrown the money at sbisa, they would be in the market for an over the hill UFA this year and who needs a guy taking a spot from a young guy on a rebuilding/retooling/restructuring team?

Sbisa might actually improve

He can't be as bad as all that.

If I just got off the plane from Mars (or the UAE) listening to blob and almost everyone else here at the corner I would think the guy can't tie his own shoes

I gotta think you need a certain level of ability to make the NHL
I'm not crazy about Sbisa either. That said, for all the passing and moaning about his cap hit - question is who else would Benning give that money to given where the team is at? More cap space wouldn't have made a difference in trying to trade for Hamilton or Lucic. Benning didn't have surplus picks or prospects to offer.

Benning wants the team to get younger - how would more cap space accomplish that if not for the purpose of an offer sheet? Anybody think Bird-dog Benning is going to give a fist-full of high picks for one player?

If you don't sign Sbisa or if you trade him you still have to sign someone to fill that spot or hope Benning can get somebody better back in trade - hands up how many have faith there?

If he's looking to tank while not 'tanking', then Sbisa can certainly help in that regard. He's still young and who knows? Maybe he does get better and justifies his contract. If not, then he's gonzo by the time the team should start getting competitive again.

Either way, he's not a great option but there are worse ones out there.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

It is also about the fact that they are over paying him and then the next RFA/UFA can look at his contract and say if you pay him X then I want Y. Also 3 years from now is a long time, who knows what this team will need in cap space?

Maybe there is a good deal and they have to take a crap player back and they can because they don't have cap space? None of this may happen but it is never good business to overpay for something.