Pick Your Least Favourite Benning Move

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is your least favourite Benning move?

Signing Ryan Miller for 3 years $6M per
15%
Ryan Kesler and 3rd round pick 2015 (Deven Sideroff) for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, 1st round pick 2014 (Jared McCann), and 3rd round pick 2014 (later traded for Derek Dorsett)
No votes
Jason Garrison, rights to Jeff Costello and 7th round pick 2015 (Jack Sadek) for 2nd round pick 2014 (later traded for Linden Vey)
No votes
2nd round pick 2014 (Roland McKeown) for Linden Vey
5%
3rd round pick 2016 and Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan
No votes
2nd round pick 2015 (Rasmus Andersson) for Sven Baertschi
No votes
Re-sign Luca Sbisa for 3 years at $3.6M per
38%
Kevin Bieksa for 2nd round pick 2016
No votes
Eddie Lack for 2015 3rd round pick (Guillaume Brisebois) and 7th round pick 2016
10%
Zack Kassian and 5th round pick 2016 for Brandon Prust
31%

Total votes: 39

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Pick Your Least Favourite Benning Move

Post by Boston Canucker »

I can find a defensible logic behind every one of those moves (even those I don't agree with) except the Sbisa extension. That one is the fart in the elevator...winner, winner, smelly chicken dinner!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Even the Sbisa deal you can make sense of. No NTC, 3year term to show if he is a top 4, no one in the system to play his minutes, a horrible UFA crop, experience for an up and coming young back end.

Benning could not add a top 4 last year without giving up high picks or prospects. He believes Sbisa is/will be top four. In that light the deal makes perfect sense. As a 3-5 type of D man Sbisa is moveable due to the short term. If he develops into a 3-5 reliable guy he is a bargain.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

the toucan kid wrote:
Okay but we have seen what happens when you throw a bunch of kids out there on their own in Edmonton. You need to insulate them and I can see very clearly why playing in front of a veteran goalie could give young skaters more confidence etc. Lack was not someone anyone expected to be a starter. Vrbata is a filler for a couple years. There's no one he's blocking.

Kesler had to be moved and had an NTC, Lack was going to get expensive and wasn't near the top of the shelf on the goalie market, and Bieksa is an old, brittle declining asset who will walk in a year. He was basically forced to make a move or was moving a pretty middling asset.
I agree - there is a need for some vets but the Nucks had enough, Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Richardson, Edler..... They had enough vets except a goalie of course. They may have been able to sign a 2a goalie to play 50% of the games and let Lack play more.

Of course this all relies on having prospects ready to play and I am not the Nucks have many of those.

Oh well the next 2 - 3 years will be interesting.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Hockey Widow wrote:Even the Sbisa deal you can make sense of. No NTC, 3year term to show if he is a top 4, no one in the system to play his minutes, a horrible UFA crop, experience for an up and coming young back end.

Benning could not add a top 4 last year without giving up high picks or prospects. He believes Sbisa is/will be top four. In that light the deal makes perfect sense. As a 3-5 type of D man Sbisa is moveable due to the short term. If he develops into a 3-5 reliable guy he is a bargain.
You don't think he could have bargained and got that salary number down? Seems like an overpayment. The old regime got burrows for 4 years at 2 mill. I hope Sbisa lives up to all expectations but I have a hard time believing he, and likely Dorsett, couldn't have been negotiated down a little bit...I could see contracts like this, esp. Sbisa, being things Gilman had an issue with...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Even the Sbisa deal you can make sense of. No NTC, 3year term to show if he is a top 4, no one in the system to play his minutes, a horrible UFA crop, experience for an up and coming young back end.

Thank you

Nice to see an independent mind amongst the bunched up panty cyborgs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:

Thank you

Its weird having the dude as the voice of reason...
Remember all the hatred he used to spew out about Gillis...
Let me guess...you're now sharing pulls off the volcano with yer old lady
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

8-)
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Thank you

Its weird having the dude as the voice of reason...
Remember all the hatred he used to spew out about Gillis...
Let me guess...you're now sharing pulls off the volcano with yer old lady
Listen jabrone, Gillis deserved every bit of Chef Boi RD's vitriol thrown at him, and was I ever so right.

Rogers Arena - "FIRE GILLIS" (except Blob McKenzie who was at that infamous game)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boston Canucker wrote:

You don't think he could have bargained and got that salary number down? Seems like an overpayment. The old regime got burrows for 4 years at 2 mill. I hope Sbisa lives up to all expectations but I have a hard time believing he, and likely Dorsett, couldn't have been negotiated down a little bit...I could see contracts like this, esp. Sbisa, being things Gilman had an issue with...
As Benning said, he bought two years of FA status. Burrows contract was signed a few years back, he has a NTC and its for a lot more than 2 million per year, double that. If you are talking his contract before that, that was what 6 years ago?

Every GM will tell you how hard it is to find guys on the back end. I too would have like to see it for less cap, I'm sure Benning would too. I'm not thrilled with the amount, I'm fine with the term. I am thrilled there is no NTC. In the grand scheme of things his cap won't hurt us. If we had qualified him we would still be paying about the same this year. Then next year what? Let him walk. Ok. Or re-sign him before he hits UFA for what? Certainly not less than he is making now but the risk is for a lot more, more term, and some type of NTC.

Sbisa is not a bad signing even though most of us are against it. He played well for us when we had all those injuries on D. I don't agree with Benning that he is top four but I'm willing to find out. If he sucks eggs these next three years I doubt he will be back.mand what are we winning over these next three years anyway?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You make some good points Wids.

Sbisa camp was probably saying "We want the qualifier at $2.9M and then we want to try UFAgency next year".

At that point Benning probably figures what the hell offer him more $$ for a bit more term.

A huge gamble but what does he have to lose really because the rebuild is going to take at least that long.

People worry about using cap-room, but you're not supposed to worry about cap-room in a rebuild.

People worry the salary structure, but you're not supposed to worry about salary structure in a rebuild.

I keep hearing Gilman screaming "Give him a NTC, give him a NTC!!!"

... and seeing Benning writing a memo to himself: "Fire this putz in early July"

:drink:

Anyway, so yeah, Sbisa's contract will be up before the rebuild is done.

Having said all that, I must say... aside from a 3-week period mid-season...

Luca Sbisa was absolutely the worst Canuck Dman in recent memory.

The weird part is, he was really good right when we needed him to be. :?

Right at the point with all the injuries, folks were saying "Okay, here's where we slide out of the playoff race".

I dunno, it's like you say, does one huge overpayment really matter over the rebuild years?

Personally I would not have even qualified Sbisa, I would have let him walk.

But hey, I have no delusions of being a better judge of a player's future than master-scout Jim Benning.

Personally I think all of Sbisa's problems are of the panic variety.

Big guy who skates well and likes to hit, maybe they can settle him down?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:The reason I didn't like the Miller signing had more to do with I wanted the rebuild to start last season.
SHHHHH...... the rebuild did start last season.

3 rookies made the team (Vey, Horvat, Kenins) and another had a long look (Clendening).

BTW Miller is still here. :wink:
Reefer2 wrote: Of course this all relies on having prospects ready to play and I am not the Nucks have many of those.
Aside from the guys mentioned above, this year there is at the very least...

Corrado/Cassels/Gaunce/Baertschi/Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Grenier... to choose from.

You'll probably see a few of those guys make the jump next season.

Wake up, you're going to sleep right through the rebuild! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Not having watched Virtanen why is everyone down on the guy. Hell he is only 18 and people are already down on him.

Another year with his Junior team and then maybe 1/2 a season in the AHL and he could be a very serviceable 2nd liner.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:Not having watched Virtanen why is everyone down on the guy. Hell he is only 18 and people are already down on him.

Another year with his Junior team and then maybe 1/2 a season in the AHL and he could be a very serviceable 2nd liner.

I haven't really read anybody being down on him.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Not having watched Virtanen why is everyone down on the guy. Hell he is only 18 and people are already down on him.

I haven't really read anybody being down on him.
I think Tops is, and if I'm wrong I apologise.

We just need to give the kid a chance.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

LoL you idiots actually voted. smh
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.