Pick Your Least Favourite Benning Move

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is your least favourite Benning move?

Signing Ryan Miller for 3 years $6M per
15%
Ryan Kesler and 3rd round pick 2015 (Deven Sideroff) for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, 1st round pick 2014 (Jared McCann), and 3rd round pick 2014 (later traded for Derek Dorsett)
No votes
Jason Garrison, rights to Jeff Costello and 7th round pick 2015 (Jack Sadek) for 2nd round pick 2014 (later traded for Linden Vey)
No votes
2nd round pick 2014 (Roland McKeown) for Linden Vey
5%
3rd round pick 2016 and Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan
No votes
2nd round pick 2015 (Rasmus Andersson) for Sven Baertschi
No votes
Re-sign Luca Sbisa for 3 years at $3.6M per
38%
Kevin Bieksa for 2nd round pick 2016
No votes
Eddie Lack for 2015 3rd round pick (Guillaume Brisebois) and 7th round pick 2016
10%
Zack Kassian and 5th round pick 2016 for Brandon Prust
31%

Total votes: 39

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Pick Your Least Favourite Benning Move

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: big picture, ......

REBUILD
What everyone looses sight of.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Reefer2 wrote:It is also about the fact that they are over paying him and then the next RFA/UFA can look at his contract and say if you pay him X then I want Y. Also 3 years from now is a long time, who knows what this team will need in cap space?
The Sedins' contract will have ended and they will likely retire. I don't think cap space will be an issue.

Funny how the timings of all these contracts coincide, no? ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Arghh - looking over the list again, it is alarming how many 2nd and 3rd round picks Benning has traded away in such a short time period...

Canucks 2nd round pick 36th overall retained = Thatcher Demko
Tampa Bay 2nd round pick (acquired in the Jason Garrison deal) 50th overall (Roland McKeon) traded for Linden Vey
Canucks 3rd round pick 66th overall retained = Nikita Tryamkin
Ducks 3rd round pick (acquired in the Ryan Kesler deal) 85th overall (Keegan Iverson) traded for Derek Dorsett

Canucks 2nd round pick 53rd overall (Rasmus Andersson) traded for Sven Baertschi
Carolina 3rd round pick 66th overall (acuired in the Eddie Lack deal) 66th overall = Guillaume Bisebois
Canucks 3rd round pick 84th overall (Deven Sideroff) traded to Anaheim in the Ryan Kesler deal

Canucks 2nd round pick
Ducks second round pick acquired for Kevin Bieksa
Canucks 3rd round pick traded along with Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan

Benning acquired four 2nd or 3rd round picks - but then traded five of them in just over a season!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Arghh - looking over the list again, it is alarming how many 2nd and 3rd round picks Benning has traded away in such a short time period...
Not really alarming at all when you realize what he was doing.

He was filling a gap in our prospect pool that was severely depleted. Prospects/players in the 22-25 year old range. He gave up some picks in order to ice a decently competitive team and acquire some near NHL ready talent.

I'm sure he's hoping one of these guys, given a new opportunity, will make an impact and provide some much needed help at a lower cap hit because they are still RFA's or still on entry level contracts.

Sven - 22
Clendening - 22
Pedan - 22
Vey - 23
Sbisa - 25
To a lesser extent:
Bonino - 27

These players fill a massive gap left by our previous administration.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sven - 22
Clendening - 22
Pedan - 22
Vey - 23
Sbisa - 25
To a lesser extent:
Bonino - 27

Great point. The gap between the late 20's/early 30's to the 20>'s was huge. It's a fine line when you think you can compete every year though ... I can see why GMMG did what he did. The guy was so caught up in winning it all after a couple of president's trophies and a SCF he just couldn't let go...
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

If you are talking about 2nd and 3rd round picks, let's not omit the fact that he also acquired a 1st round pick that we now know as Jared McCann.

AP is correct, there is a big void in that age bracket because the Canucks were unable to draft and develop any sort of impact player since 2004 (with Horvat finally putting an end to this streak). There should players in their 20's that are challenging the Sedins for the 1st line duties right now, but we are at least a couple of years away from this.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

For me, it definitely was the Kassassian trade. Loosing my Eddie Lack Attack Pack really sucked too, but at least that one was expected. Always heard rumblings about the Nucks shopping Kass around, but hoped it was not true. Loosing Stanton hurt a bit too. I just think we invested all that time in Kass, Stanton and Lack developing them in the NHL, and it completely sucks to give up on them now only to get nothing but shit in return. The thing is, all 3 have proven they can play in the NHL, they're about to enter their prime years and just when they look ready to make a step forward, we give up on them. Those 3 are in the age group that we can go forward with as well, they'll be like late 20s when we can start inserting some of our draft picks into the lineup (guys like McCann, Virtanen, Cassels, Boeser, etc), which would make for a nice blend of players not too old (guys in prime years and rookies).

Loosing Richie and Matthias sucked a bit as well as they're a bit younger than our older vets like Higgy/Burr. They both had pretty good years and generally it's hard to keep those guys when they become UFAs. Would have been nice to move Higgy and/or Burr to make some money to keep those 2.

Gotta say this about Strange's Overlord (JB), he looks like a great guy in evaluating young talent, but when it comes to contract negotiations and trades, he doesn't seem very good in those areas. One can argue that the contracts he gave to Dorsett and the Pizzaman are too high for a couple of role players. His asset management seems very poor as well. He seems to overpay (good draft picks) for the guys he wants and he gets very little in return for assets he wants to move out (so hard for him to recoup some decent picks). Right now, I think I don't mind him as a chief scout for our club, but to give him the keys to our franchise? I dunno. He just doesn't seem to be a very good poker player with his own players and other GMs around the league. As someone said before, he seems like too much of a simpleton. While doing what he thinks is best for his club is great, but not getting good value for some of his assets will come back to hurt the franchise long term.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Loosing my Eddie Lack Attack Pack really sucked too
But think about all those keystrokes u will save. 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rayxor wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Loosing my Eddie Lack Attack Pack really sucked too
Apparently "luv" is a many splendored thing. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote:
Rayxor wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Loosing my Eddie Lack Attack Pack really sucked too
Apparently "luv" is a many splendored thing. 8-)
*hehe* Yeah, luv my Eddie Lack Atttack Pack. With him gone, won't be able to talk about him much anymore, so gotta do it when I can. :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

One more weason to wejoice wee Todd’s ovalaad ovawuling him and twading away Wack…
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Arghh - looking over the list again, it is alarming how many 2nd and 3rd round picks Benning has traded away in such a short time period...
Not really alarming at all when you realize what he was doing.

He was filling a gap in our prospect pool that was severely depleted. Prospects/players in the 22-25 year old range. He gave up some picks in order to ice a decently competitive team and acquire some near NHL ready talent.

I'm sure he's hoping one of these guys, given a new opportunity, will make an impact and provide some much needed help at a lower cap hit because they are still RFA's or still on entry level contracts.

Sven - 22
Clendening - 22
Pedan - 22
Vey - 23
Sbisa - 25
To a lesser extent:
Bonino - 27

Bonino fits right in there just based on his cap hit and term. When Benning acquired him he had a top-9 center at $1.9M per year for 3 seasons. Bones expires at the same time as Bo. If he's not working out, then he gets moved at that deadline, or even if Benning see's a guy like McCann ready to take his spot.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

2nd round picks have about a 30% chance to play 100 NHL games. Getting guys like Baertschi have a higher than 30% chance. They probably have lower upside then some 2nd round picks but they are safe.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion