Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:LOL, my post was less about the immature wannabe playboy and more about IN's never ending search for excuses.

Wow, how many coaches dog houses? How many management dog houses? Bergivan's comments after the deal, "there is a reason guys like him are available". It can only mean the Habs were already onto Zach's follies.....

......yet stil, IN say's its the Hab's fault for not having a life coach.

Who needs personal responsibility when your employer should hire a surrogate for your moral behaviour?
Ahhh.....gotcha.

The part about personal responsibility I'm on board with. It seemed that you and HW were sentencing without due process.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

But why are we surprised, this has been Zack Kassian all the way back to the Windsor Spitfires. You can lead a horse to the river but you can't make horsey drink the water. Some people just never get it.

I think you should cut bait with your anger with Benning over the Kassian trade and come join the rest of us, it's a great place to be.
Yep, it is unfortunate, and I've already said it a couple times for anyone who actually reads, it's a real shame Kassian has the million-dollar body/skill set and a 10-cent head. If he ever put it all together he'd be a helluva player and it's certainly frustrating to watch him continuously submarine his own career.

As for the trade, it was and remains a shit trade. The targetting of Prust, giving up the draft pick for the luxury of adding an older, worse, redundant depth player. I'll give Benning credit that he's not afraid to admit mistakes (Vey on Waivers, dealing Bonino and Clendenning after targetting them), I just wish he'd stop making them in the first place. We'll get there dude, giving the kids a shot here is a step in the right direction.

Topper wrote: Who needs personal responsibility when your employer should hire a surrogate for your moral behaviour?
haha yeah that's exactly what I'm saying Topper. We'll hire a half-dozen chefs to prepare meals for the team, a couple nutritionists to monitor offseason dietary requirements, and all kinds of people to run the snaptwitfacetumblrchat accounts, but when it comes to educating guys and having supports in place to protect the franchise from embarassment and (in some cases) potential season-crippling off-ice events that could cost the owner millions and the team points in the standings... "nah they take care of themselves". It's not about shifting the blame away from Kassian/Kane/Stoll/Richards/Malone etc. etc., but about the franchise doing what they can to win hockey games by having their players on the ice and not in the court room or hospital. Anyways, like HW mentioned people need to avail themselves of the resources if they are present, I just don't see how such a small investment could be a bad thing.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

League to Torres: ya'll gonna learn today.
41 games.

------------
Island Nucklehead wrote:It's still a terrible trade.

What this does is show that Kassian still hasn't taken the steps required to be a true professional and take his job seriously. Frankly, I'm kind of amazed more teams haven't done like the Kings and hired a "life coach" to be in the room with these guys, share their experiences and do their best to keep these guys on the straight and narrow. You'd think when you're investing $60-$70M in payroll that $100,000 for someone like that, which doesn't count against any salary cap, could go a long way to reducing these kind of situations.

Of course you'll never stop the Slava Voynov's of the world from beating up their spouse, but you should be able to hammer into some of these mid-20's rockstars that ripping around town with a couple girls at 6am after an evening of Christ-knows-what, following a trade when questions of character are raised... probably isn't the best thing for your career. Same goes for guys like Kane who seem to have trouble with the liquor... why put yourself in a position where this is even a possibility?

Oh for sure, and we don't have all the details about this situation, except that it's Kassian and Bergevin seems pissed, so it's likely not good.

And obviously there would be some guys that wouldn't take part or trust such a person or feel it necessary for whatever reason, I just don't get why you wouldn't have that resource available. You seem to have everything from the third-string equipment guy that places the stink-fan in the room to dry the gear post-game, admin assistants booking travel arrangements for the "father/mother trip" and backup video review assistant coaches... If one of these kind of advisors could stop even one or two of these incidents from happening you'd think it'd be worth it.

And as for Topper's nonsense, I imagine the Blackhawks are looking at one of these positions (if they haven't filled it already) for Mr. Frat-House. It's not solely about just expecting these guys to grow up (wouldn't that be a perfect world, 24-year old millionaires never had to work a real day in their lives). If one of your star players run into these kind of scenarios, now your season (and business) is in the shitter.

Yep, it is unfortunate, and I've already said it a couple times for anyone who actually reads, it's a real shame Kassian has the million-dollar body/skill set and a 10-cent head. If he ever put it all together he'd be a helluva player and it's certainly frustrating to watch him continuously submarine his own career.

As for the trade, it was and remains a shit trade. The targetting of Prust, giving up the draft pick for the luxury of adding an older, worse, redundant depth player. I'll give Benning credit that he's not afraid to admit mistakes (Vey on Waivers, dealing Bonino and Clendenning after targetting them), I just wish he'd stop making them in the first place. We'll get there dude, giving the kids a shot here is a step in the right direction.

haha yeah that's exactly what I'm saying Topper. We'll hire a half-dozen chefs to prepare meals for the team, a couple nutritionists to monitor offseason dietary requirements, and all kinds of people to run the snaptwitfacetumblrchat accounts, but when it comes to educating guys and having supports in place to protect the franchise from embarassment and (in some cases) potential season-crippling off-ice events that could cost the owner millions and the team points in the standings... "nah they take care of themselves". It's not about shifting the blame away from Kassian/Kane/Stoll/Richards/Malone etc. etc., but about the franchise doing what they can to win hockey games by having their players on the ice and not in the court room or hospital. Anyways, like HW mentioned people need to avail themselves of the resources if they are present, I just don't see how such a small investment could be a bad thing.

So you're kind of hinting at and keep on rehashing the issue of that the team should hire rehab people/life coaches etc to help their players from such issues, is that correct?

An employer can only do so much to help you, but ultimately it's the person who has to put in the work to WANT to help themselves. Enough excuses for this guy IN.

You already said 'he has all the tools but a 10 cent head, submarining his own career'
...so to me it's a good trade for Benning for an immediate turn-around for the team.

How so?

People keep on bringing up players mentoring the kids, so imo it's a good ideal to have good example vets, Prust is a great guy for the team, Kass was cool but he was too cool for school. Prust is what Benning wants for this team, he brings a lot of character and reliability, you know exactly what he's going to bring night in and night out, he's a team guy first and foremost, superb locker room fella, but ultimately it's not having to worry about him and he adds a more cohesiveness to the squad right this instant, hell he's even teaching Virtanen already about defending himself. https://twitter.com/VanCanucks/status/6 ... 8007419905
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

After Luc died, the Canucks hired people to work with the younger players coming into the league to talk about life decisions. One of the things that was said was that younger players needed to understand the temptations that were out there and how to make the right choices/decisions regarding a number of things. MG did a similar thing when Rypen took his own life.

P. Kane was babysat after his taxi driver days. But the team could only control that during the season. Kane also taunted Hawks management after the last cup celebration by saying words to the effect, if you think this is wild wait until the summer. Basically telling them a big fuck you.

My question to the league is this, if positive cocain testing is on the increase why have we not seen any suspensions? If a player tests positive, publish the name and suspend him. If there is a repeat throw them in the rehab program and suspend them again. If you are that concerned then deal with it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Well, prior to this latest little indiscretion, Montreal beat writers were already pointing out Zack's le bleu-blanc-rouge was blending in well... with the ice.

In other words, invisible.

They have a history of over-looking indiscretions as long as you produce. Unfortunately, Zack is still being Zack on the ice.

But he was probably just up until 6am contemplating his rapid descent to the 4th line exit out of the league.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well Kass hopefully gets the help he needs now..
@FriedgeHNIC NHL/NHLPA announce Zack Kassian placed on Stage 2 of Substance Abuse program. Suspended without pay until cleared by doctors
@TSNBobMcKenzie

It's called Substance Abuse and Behavorial Health Program. Run jointly by NHL/NHLPA.
Key is doctors determine when he's well enough to play.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Well Kass hopefully gets the help he needs now..
@FriedgeHNIC NHL/NHLPA announce Zack Kassian placed on Stage 2 of Substance Abuse program. Suspended without pay until cleared by doctors
@TSNBobMcKenzie

It's called Substance Abuse and Behavorial Health Program. Run jointly by NHL/NHLPA.

So much for the rumours that he doesn't have off ice issues.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

STAGE 2 jesus... Meanwhile at practice today Brandon Prust is teaching Jake Virtanen how to defend himself Character Guy ... Not a good day for the Benning Haters
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Moving on…

I can't wait to see what Prust brings to the club. Leadership, character, toughness, work ethic.

Good move Jim, good move.

:thumbs:
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I'll give Benning credit that he's not afraid to admit mistakes (Vey on Waivers, dealing Bonino and Clendenning after targetting them), I just wish he'd stop making them in the first place
Pretty naïve and doesn't make much sense if you take a step back and think about it...

I assume you were thinking about Bergevin when you talked about mistakes, or how do you explain the Habs trading for Kassian?...

I prefer a pro active GM who isn't afraid to make a mistake rather than a Nonis type who wouldn't make a move unless he was convinced it was a home run move which was another way of saying that Nonis didn't make enough moves...

The bonus with Benning is that he doesn't seem to be afraid to admit a mistake ...

Take care...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rikster wrote:
I'll give Benning credit that he's not afraid to admit mistakes (Vey on Waivers, dealing Bonino and Clendenning after targetting them), I just wish he'd stop making them in the first place
The bonus with Benning is that he doesn't seem to be afraid to admit a mistake ...
What I said.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:Well Kass hopefully gets the help he needs now..
@TSNBobMcKenzie

So much for the rumours that he doesn't have off ice issues.
Yup, there we go. I withdraw my previous comments.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
rikster wrote:
What I said.
Oh how the flips flop. Today has been an absolute laugh watching the urine crew cinch up their depends.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So if Kassian was placed in stage 2, that means at some point he was in stage 1. All those mysterious injuries make sense now. It also makes sense now why they were unable to trade him at the TDD last year.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:So if Kassian was placed in stage 2, that means at some point he was in stage 1. All those mysterious injuries make sense now. It also makes sense now why they were unable to trade him at the TDD last year.
Like I've said before, Zack likes his cocaine, it's kind of a poorly kept secret now. When you are up at 6am in the morning, driving around like ole Zack was with a couple of other unknowns, it's usually because of certain kind of white powder. If it was alcohol only, he'd a been in bed passed out like most everyone else in this world when they drink.

Anyhow, now that the air has finally been cleared about ole Zack, looks like we only had to give up a 5th rounder for Prust. Not bad. Nice work Jimbo. You rid this organization of an idiot and get Prust for just a 5th. I like it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau