Bieska to Ducks for 2nd round in 2016

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Bieska to Ducks for 2nd round in 2016

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm in Dude, tank for a top five. Ice as many kids so they get a taste. Dump as many of the rest of the core at the TDD. Load up. Get Markstrom a good number of games, 25+ if you can.

May not watch a lot of games next year but I'll get in shape for 2017.
As Jim Benning likes to call it "a transitioning" but let's call a spade a spade, it's a rebuild. We all knew this was looming as this team only goes as far as the Sedins can take them but with Hank and Dank turning 35, we got maybe one good regular season out of them.

This so called transitioning will see more than one bad season, it's gonna take 2-3 IMO. I'd be really surprised if we made the playoffs next season but I really don't care if we do or don't, I like a lot of people in this city want to see the future faces of this team getting worked into the lineup. This repeat button we've been pushing the last 5 years is dulling Rogers Arena, the city isn't passionate about the same old cast and crew

I could see the Canucks picking top 10 the next two drafts. One can only dream if we could land Chychrun in '16 and Nolan Patrick in '17
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

nuckster wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, keep one of Burrows or Vrbata to play with the twins. We still need them to produce if Jimbo wants to stay comepetitive. I mean the town may be ready to move on but Jimbo wants to remain competitive during this "transition".

He will never find a better time to accelerate the transition than now. People are ready for it.

Torts was right all along. Wonder if MG had a do over if he would do it differently?
Im sure he would. Never knew if Torts was an Aqualini hire or an MG hire? Too bad MG screwed Luongo over so bad at the outdoor game; theres an outside chance height still be here.... ok maybe not. The hell with what Tort's thinks anyways!
After the 2011 Cup run we finally got to see what kind of GM Gillis truly was as he could no longer ride the wave of the team he inherited. Pretty much every decision he made post 2011 was awful, plus his drafting record at the 6 drafts he oversaw were simply awful and one of the main reasons why we fell so fast from the elite of the league.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Btw Boston knows how to rebuild, 5 first round draft picks in two consecutive drafts. I know we've had 2 first round picks two drafts in a row, but I would not call that a rebuild. We traded youth for the Horvat pick and received young vets back with the McCann pick. Go big or go home.

Ray Ferraro made some real good points this week on 1040 about the Canucks and being confused by Benning and Linden constantly going on about remaining competitive yet wanting to re-tool/transition whatever the fuck they want to call it, Ray pretty much saying you can't do both. He says the faster you go into a rebuild the quicker you can come out of it.

What worries me about Benning and Linden is this Oxymoronic schizo-ism that they keep going on about in wanting to remain compettive yet wanting to rebuild. The quicker you blow it up, the quicker you bounce back. This whole slow death, dragging it out transitioning will be absolutely painful to me, dragging out the inevitable. Be done with it, shock and awe.

I like to think mgmt is only paying lip service to season ticket holders, I call it the Aqualini factor.

Be done with it, blow it up Boston style, re- stock the cuoboards fast!

"It's not 2011 anymore" the Great John Torterella. At least Boston knows that and seemingly, hopingly Benning and Linden know that too, just fuck off with the "remaining competitive" bullshit. I can't stand it. If I have to watch two more seasons of the old man Sedin cycle and barely making the playoffs then to get ass whooped by younger teams in the first round I will lose the plot officially
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As Paddy noted the other day Dude, season ticket holders and Joe public won't buy it. Who's buying those corporate box seats and renewing their season ticket packages? How many 6'8" guys are there?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: The quicker you blow it up, the quicker you bounce back.
LoL nope, even with your fave team the Oilers in 10 years of tanking, maybe they got it right...
But I see every team smashing the shit out of this team for tanking so much now.

Like fuck you for sucking this long to get a high pick, like KimK.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: The quicker you blow it up, the quicker you bounce back.
LoL nope, even with your fave team the Oilers in 10 years of tanking, maybe they got it right...
But I see every team smashing the shit out of this team for tanking so much now.

Like fuck you for sucking this long to get a high pick, like KimK.
The problem with the Oilers for the last 10 years prior to Chiarelli was Kevin Lowe, pure idiot. Most teams who have gone full rebuild usually only mired in the dungeons of the league for 2-3 years. I have some faith in the bird dog scout Benning and dapper Linden not going full Kevin Lowe dumb ass for 10 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:As Paddy noted the other day Dude, season ticket holders and Joe public won't buy it. Who's buying those corporate box seats and renewing their season ticket packages? How many 6'8" guys are there?
Nuck season ticket holders are more special than the Bruins season ticket holders? Fuck even the Maple Laughs have announced an official Rebuild and their season ticket holders are the most dear and precious of the league. Ole Paddy although wise as they come is a little long in the tooth and road weary. I call bullshit, the season ticket holders would WELCOME a blow up/rebuild. It's exciting. Do you really think the darling Club Seators care to see another season of the Sedin Cycle? They want explosions. They want to see Benning throwing hand grenades into to the locker room. Boom!'getterdun
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
Topper wrote:As Paddy noted the other day Dude, season ticket holders and Joe public won't buy it. Who's buying those corporate box seats and renewing their season ticket packages? How many 6'8" guys are there?
Nuck season ticket holders are more special than the Bruins season ticket holders? Fuck even the Maple Laughs have announced an official Rebuild and their season ticket holders are the most dear and precious of the league. Ole Paddy although wise as they come is a little long in the tooth and road weary. I call bullshit, the season ticket holders would WELCOME a blow up/rebuild. It's exciting. Do you really think the darling Club Seators care to see another season of the Sedin Cycle? They want explosions. They want to see Benning throwing hand grenades into to the locker room. Boom!'getterdun
Yup!, thanks to the influx of the foreign investment world, those foreigners are actually good for something other than buying expensive property and leaving them empty.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I know quit a few season ticket holders and back from my pre-retirement days, a number of people responsible for the corporate tickets. Ok, so it's not them all and they may not be representative of the whole, they nonetheless all want the fast track.

From those I know on the corporate side they liken it to the days when we had the Grizzlies.they couldn't give hockey tickets away but everyone wanted to see the Grizzlies. Grizzlies were nothing special but they were new and games were fun. A lot of corporations gave up their seasons tickets then.

I lost count of how many tickets I was offered last year. Season ticket holders just didn't want to go. It was like going to the dentist or proctologist several times a week. They would rather see a young, fresh team right now.

The problem though is that a rebuild gets old fast.there will be a short fuse on paitience. People will say blow it up, tank, get on with it but interest will dwindle quickly until the team is competitive again and then the bandwagon fills up.

This slow death though isn't much better. A little better perhaps because come training camp so many of us will once again be talking about, just make the playoffs and anything can happen, I know no matter what I say now that'll be me. Hate losing, always optimistic, usually look for the upside. A blinded fanatic, most sports fans.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Ray Ferraro made some real good points this week on 1040 about the Canucks and being confused by Benning and Linden constantly going on about remaining competitive yet wanting to re-tool/transition whatever the fuck they want to call it, Ray pretty much saying you can't do both. He says the faster you go into a rebuild the quicker you can come out of it.

What worries me about Benning and Linden is this Oxymoronic schizo-ism that they keep going on about in wanting to remain compettive yet wanting to rebuild. The quicker you blow it up, the quicker you bounce back. This whole slow death, dragging it out transitioning will be absolutely painful to me, dragging out the inevitable. Be done with it, shock and awe.

"It's not 2011 anymore" the Great John Torterella. At least Boston knows that and seemingly, hopingly Benning and Linden know that too, just fuck off with the "remaining competitive" bullshit. I can't stand it. If I have to watch two more seasons of the old man Sedin cycle and barely making the playoffs then to get ass whooped by younger teams in the first round I will lose the plot officially
I agree. The "remain competitive while transitioning" mantra allows Linden and Benning all kinds of leeway with whatever they do and wherever the team places in the standings. They can sign older UFA's like Miller and Vrbata by saying we want to remain competitive. They can trade future picks for younger, marginally-capable NHL players, and vets for picks, by saying we need to "transition to a new core".

It boggles the mind that we're hanging onto guys like Higgins and Hansen, who could probably be replaced within the system (Baertschi, Kassian, Kenins, Virtanen, Gaunce, Grenier) or in free agency. If the goal is to move guys with NTC's and add roster spots, why not start with the marginal players on our roster.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:I know quit a few season ticket holders and back from my pre-retirement days, a number of people responsible for the corporate tickets. Ok, so it's not them all and they may not be representative of the whole, they nonetheless all want the fast track.

From those I know on the corporate side they liken it to the days when we had the Grizzlies.they couldn't give hockey tickets away but everyone wanted to see the Grizzlies. Grizzlies were nothing special but they were new and games were fun. A lot of corporations gave up their seasons tickets then.

I lost count of how many tickets I was offered last year. Season ticket holders just didn't want to go. It was like going to the dentist or proctologist several times a week. They would rather see a young, fresh team right now.

The problem though is that a rebuild gets old fast.there will be a short fuse on paitience. People will say blow it up, tank, get on with it but interest will dwindle quickly until the team is competitive again and then the bandwagon fills up.

This slow death though isn't much better. A little better perhaps because come training camp so many of us will once again be talking about, just make the playoffs and anything can happen, I know no matter what I say now that'll be me. Hate losing, always optimistic, usually look for the upside. A blinded fanatic, most sports fans.
A savy fan like yourself HW can look at at a team coming out of pre-season and predict within reaon how the season will go down. I don't buy it at all, it's mostly media types like Gallagher who thrive on creating controversy, they will dearly love to rag on mgnt through a rebuild.

Canuck fans are pretty educated fans, which is why you are seeing a fast declining interet in the team. Most telling was how the city did not really care as much as in in the past about our playoff trip this year. Like I said before, I think I saw one car flag during the playoffs.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Canuck fans are pretty educated fans, which is why you are seeing a fast declining interet in the team. Most telling was how the city did not really care as much as in in the past about our playoff trip this year. Like I said before, I think I saw one car flag during the playoffs.
Yeah, I think as long as the Canucks followed a Tampa Bay-esque (2007-2010) rebuild the Canucks fans could get behind it. Start going the Oilers route and you'll see the stands really empty. But at the end of the day, most people will understand a 3-4 year process, and if they rip the bandaid off quick they can avoid a decade of darkness. Benning seems like a shrewd draft guy, so this is as good a time as any to get as many quality picks as possible.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Boston got a putrid return for Hamilton and then took a huge crap on the draft floor with those rotten selections .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol Boston got a putrid return for Hamilton and then took a huge crap on the draft floor with those rotten selections .
Yeah. They did great with Lucic. The Hamilton thing is baffling. The draft picks (Zboril aside) were shocking.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Loved Juice for many years, but these types of moves should have happened two years ago. Better late than never I suppose.