2015 Canucks Draft Roundup

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: 2015 Canucks Draft Roundup

Post by dbr »

Not to nitpick but Chicago is a great place for a young player - the cap has them turning over everyone outside the core every few years, and they're always looking to move skill players (eg. Teravainen) up through the ranks.

They've landed a few fairly high profile NCAA and overseas signings the last couple of years for this reason.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:Not to nitpick but Chicago is a great place for a young player - the cap has them turning over everyone outside the core every few years, and they're always looking to move skill players (eg. Teravainen) up through the ranks.

They've landed a few fairly high profile NCAA and overseas signings the last couple of years for this reason.

But still, you get my point, no? This is a great time to be drafted by Vancouver.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:This is a great time to be drafted by Vancouver.
Yeah, you'd have to think a guy like Briesbois is looking at the sad state of our defence and thinking he could be on this team in a couple years. The competition is stiffer at forward, but the D is wide open.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Yeah, you'd have to think a guy like Briesbois is looking at the sad state of our defence and thinking he could be on this team in a couple years. The competition is stiffer at forward, but the D is wide open.
Mayyybe... but that doesn't tend to be how it works right? If he can play to an NHL standard, you're right the door is open, but there's enough NHL-experienced castoffs floating around the waiver wires that I don't think fringe kids end up making it any more regularly on bad teams than good. Largely anyway. Obviously it's tougher to find a slot in a good lineup but there's still a barrier to entry talent-wise into the NHL.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mayyybe... but that doesn't tend to be how it works right? If he can play to an NHL standard, you're right the door is open, but there's enough NHL-experienced castoffs floating around the waiver wires that I don't think fringe kids end up making it any more regularly on bad teams than good. Largely anyway. Obviously it's tougher to find a slot in a good lineup but there's still a barrier to entry talent-wise into the NHL.
Oh for sure. Just because he's drafted doesn't guarantee him anything. But if you look at a team like Anaheim, who seem to have had D prospects coming out their ass in recent seasons, the road to an NHL job gets a lot harder. For Brisebois, he'll have a good shot at a prominent role/developmental focus on the Comets when he's done in junior, and the potential for a straighter path to the show. Obviously he's got to earn his spot, there just might be less competition for that spot internally. He's not looking at having to supplant guys like Theodore, Manson or Montour just to get a shot to play behind Lindholm, Depres, Vatanen, Fowler etc.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

the toucan kid wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Ya, I'm not talking about fringe players making it. I do agree, that for the most part, I doubt we rush any kids. I'm just saying if you look at our roster you can easily see where these younger players know the door is open. The ones that ain't ready or are fringe will still have to put their time in. Demko won't be seeing the NHL for several years yet. Casells can see that getting healthy and a little more hard work he might get a sniff this year and could get a real shot as early as next year. The new Bo already said he is taking college one year at a time and will make a decision at the end of each year whether it's time to turn pro. Virtanen is chomping at the bit already knocking at the door.

The kids should be excited because there are opportunities now and more spots will open up.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I expect the same, HW.

As the season progresses and the remaining core accepts we aren't what we used to be (if they haven't already) there will be vets wanting out. Even one or two would be huge for our prospects chances of cracking the lineup late in the year or next Fall.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I expect the same, HW.

As the season progresses and the remaining core accepts we aren't what we used to be (if they haven't already) there will be vets wanting out. Even one or two would be huge for our prospects chances of cracking the lineup late in the year or next Fall.

We have a minimum of four this year with Markstrom, Corrado, Clendenning and Sven. We had Vey, Horvat and Kenins last year. 7 rookies in two years is quite a turnover. And still Virtanen or Grenier might make the team. Whoever said we don't give the kids a chance?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:

We have a minimum of four this year with Markstrom, Corrado, Clendenning and Sven. We had Vey, Horvat and Kenins last year. 7 rookies in two years is quite a turnover. And still Virtanen or Grenier might make the team. Whoever said we don't give the kids a chance?
When injuries hit somebody else will get a look as well. Guys like Shink, Cassels, Hutton and Stewart will probably get a look see this season at some point.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think they would like to get Pedan a look. Hopefully he is recovered from his last concussion and can make camp.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I did but that was before the GM finally started to listen to me.....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Whoever said we don't give the kids a chance?
I did but that was before the GM finally started to listen to me.....
Jimbo has been all about this from the getgo...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Looking over the picks it became very noticeable that the Canucks only got 1 pick with any size.. Neal is a big Dman but the knock on him is his skating and poor decision making.. The old rule of looking for Size and Speed is always a measurement of potential ability.. The rest of the picks lack Size.. Though of course some may fill out like Tanev did. Neal seems the only real "Asshole" in our picks .. Our defensive play will not be improved much this year and this is the Canucks biggest weakness. Last year we were in the top 10 for goals for... but in the bottom 10 in goals against.. We need more forwards that play well defensively not more goal scorers...
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I think you're worrying too much, Tiger. [The following comments are not predictions of future ability]

Brock Boeser (RW)Waterloo (USHL)
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 191 | Shoots: Right
191 at age 18 is plenty big.

Guillaume Brisebrois (D)Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 175 | Shoots: Left
This guy is a puck-mover, so compare Nik Lidstrom, 6'1", 192lbs; and Scott Niedermeyer 6'1" 200lbs
Give him a couple years of growth and training and he'll be fine.

Dmitry Zhukenov (C)OMSK 2 (Russia Jr.)
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 169 | Shoots: Right
Ok, true. That's a bit small, but he's barely 18.

Adam Gaudette (C)Cedar Rapids (USHL)
Height: 6'1 | Weight: 170 | Shoots: Right
Hope he fills out, but

Lukas Jasek (RW)Trinec (CZREP)
Height: 5'11 | Weight: 165 | Shoots: Right

Tate Olson (D)Prince George (WHL)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 174 | Shoots: Left
That's a good frame to pack on strength, too.

I don't think these are unusually light guys for draft day. Are we saying that 190 is too small to survive in the current Western Conference? Patrick Kane is 5'10" 178... some guys do make it on mostly skill.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Hockey Widow wrote:
dbr wrote:Not to nitpick but Chicago is a great place for a young player - the cap has them turning over everyone outside the core every few years, and they're always looking to move skill players (eg. Teravainen) up through the ranks.

But still, you get my point, no? This is a great time to be drafted by Vancouver.
yes