2015 Canucks Draft Roundup

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2015 Canucks Draft Roundup

Post by Cornuck »

Round 1 - PICK 23(23)

Brock Boeser (RW)Waterloo (USHL)
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 191 | Shoots: Right
GP 57 G 35 P 68

“Brock is a multiple force offensive player. He can score in multiple ways and gets himself into prime scoring positions. Creates opportunities off the cycle and from below the goal line. Nice touch around net but can score from 30 feet. Sets his hands exceptionally well to score with an excellent release and makes it difficult for goalies to get a read on his shot. Determined, driven player.” - TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button

Round 3 - PICK 5(66) VIA CAR
Guillaume Brisebrois (D)Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 175 | Shoots: Left
GP 63 G 4 P 28

Round 4 - PICK 23(114)

Dmitry Zhukenov (C)OMSK 2 (Russia Jr.)
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 169 | Shoots: Right
GP 35 G 3 P 19

Round 5 - PICK 23(144)

Carl Neill
(D)Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
Height: 6'1 | Weight: 213 | Shoots: Left
GP 63 G 14 P 40

Round 5 - PICK 28(149) VIA NYR

Adam Gaudette
(C)Cedar Rapids (USHL)
Height: 6'1 | Weight: 170 | Shoots: Right
GP 48 G 12 P 28

Round 6 - PICK 23(174)

Lukas Jasek
(RW)Trinec (CZREP)
Height: 5'11 | Weight: 165 | Shoots: Right
GP 27 G 0 P 2

Round 7 - PICK 29(210) VIA SJ

Tate Olson (D)Prince George (WHL)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 174 | Shoots: Left
GP 68 G 5 P 24

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: 2015 Canucks Draft Roundup

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Blaster86 wrote:Boeser is gonna Reilly us. Just wait. You can tell the kid wants to be in a US city.
I'm surprised the Boeser pick and the Lack trade didn't get their own thread. Cramming these fairly big moves into a general thread makes it a bit hard to follow. Thanks for this thread Cornuck, think my Boeser post fits better in here.

Yeah, the new Bo said he was excited to get drafted and all and said all the right things, but his body language said otherwise. I hardly saw a smile out of him, it was like his body was saying, I got drafted by the Vancouver Canucks, big whoppie doo. Maybe I'll play there one day, maybe I won't.

Gotta say, the kid doesn't look like a hockey player though, he looks more like a surfer dood or a football college quarterback (alpha male type). Hopefully he luvs the game of hockey and is dedicated to it. I heard he had some personal tradegies in his life, so maybe that was a reason why he looked so emotionless.

At the 23rd pick, it's a bit hard to tell if he's a good pick or not. I'm cautiously optimisitic. I heard hockey personalites compare him to Sharp, Okposo, and a more talented Fisher, etc. If he becomes anything like those guys, it'll be a great pick. On the cautious side, he did rack up some goals in the USHL (35G in 57 Games), but our famous Patrick White racked up some goals in that league as well (8G in 12 Games). I also heard of him being compared to our old buddy David Booth. It'd suck if he becomes another Boothy, but if he can become a consistent 20-30G scorer over a longer period of time than Boothy, he'll be a great pick

Lastly, I noticed a common theme among the 3 first round selections that JB tells us about in his Canuck picks: this guy can really rip the puck. He said that about Virtanen, McCann and now Boeser. Are these guys really that good and are future NHL snipers or is JB just saying these things to get fans excited and hopeful in these picks? I'm a bit concerned about Virtanen as his stats dropped a bit from his draft year (only 21G in 50 games with Hitmen and only 1A in 10 games with Utica). I know he came back from injuries and stuff, but his junior stats doesn't really get my mojo going. McCann did quite a bit better with 34G in 56 games, note elite superstar lvl but very good for a late 1st rounder. We'll see with the New Bo. It'll be interesting to see if he can rack up some goals at the college lvl and maybe make the USA junior team. I guess if 1 or 2 out of these 3 guys can become top NHL snipers, it'll bode well for our franchise.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I think people are reading too much into this kid too soon. He's been through a lot already, so I'm thinking that he would rather concentrate on hockey than worry about playing in a US city or some other mind game like others have suggested.

The night before the Hlinka tournament started, he found out that four friends were in a car accident, a hockey linemate of his was badly injured, and a baseball teammate died. "Stuck 5,000 miles away in Slovakia, Brock was scared and feeling helpless. He was captaining the United States at the very start of the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament. His coaches gave him permission to return home, but Brock decided to stay and tied for the tournament goal-scoring lead with six to help lead the USA to a bronze medal."

His dad has Parkinsons, so I think this kid knows how lucky he is to be on the path to become a pro playing the game he loves.

With luck, this kid will develop and we'll have a future team of some great leaders and talent.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Big body, strong skater, heavy shot...

Seems like a decent prosect for a 23rd pick. These guys will be more closely scrutinized in 4 years or so when they're supposed to be ready....not now.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Seemed like a lot of analysts really liked the pick (Boeser) for the Canucks, he's supposed to have one of the best shots in this 2015 draft.

I think he could be a pleasant surprise for this squad in a few years, as this team needs more snipers!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote:this team needs more a snipers!
Fixed
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah, the new Bo said he was excited to get drafted and all and said all the right things, but his body language said otherwise. I hardly saw a smile out of him, it was like his body was saying, I got drafted by the Vancouver Canucks, big whoppie doo. Maybe I'll play there one day, maybe I won't.
REALLY!?
Gotta say, the kid doesn't look like a hockey player though
About that...

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote:
SKYO wrote:this team needs more a snipers!
Fixed
ha, well sadly Vrbata is our only sniper for the time being. :(
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Just catching up on the players drafted by the Canucks:

1) Canucks select Brock Boeser 23rd - Craig Button had Boeser ranked #9 overall in the draft! Hmmm... and this is the same Craig Button that ranked Virtanen #43 in the 2014 Draft... which player will he be more right about?

(Bob McKenzie ranked Boeser #26, and Corey Pronman ranked him #31.)

3) Canucks select Guillaume Brisebois 66th - Bob McKenzie ranked Brisebois #48, Craig Button ranked him #55, and Corey Pronman ranked him #67.

Other than a reportedly mediocre shot, Brisebois sounds like he could be a steal. In the 18 team QMJHL his Acadie-Bathurst Titan finished... well, 18th - and 14 points below 17th! Only 17 wins in 68 games! No doubt that on a better team Brisebois would have been a bigger contributor to the offence - consider that only two teams in the QMJHL scored fewer than 200 goals, and Acadie-Bathurst was the lowest at only 158 (Brisebois had 28 points).

Hopefully Brisebois will have some more help next season in Acadie-Bathurst - should be interesting...

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning said if he had been able to land a second round pick, Brisebois is the guy they wanted. So they were pleasantly surprised he was there for them to select with the third. Of course he could have been trying to up sell the Lack trade as he went onto to say that they were able to move a popular player but got a future top four. And that's where they project him, a future top four, just like Sbisa :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Here's an interesting roundup from Canucks Army:

Canucks Deep Dive 2015 Entry Draft

excerpt:
On Brisebois
"However, when you dig a bit deeper, there's actually a lot to like about this selection. First, Brisebois' Acadie-Bathurst team has the second worst offense (2.3 goals per game) of all 60 CHL teams, which adds perspective to his 28 point in 63 game season. Brisebois actually contributed to 19.3% of the Titan's points. According to CHLstats.com, Brisebois ranks 6th among 17 year-old QMJHL defenders, just ahead of Thomas Chabot who went 18th overall to Ottawa.
It's also interesting to note that Brisebois was the first of a number of draft selections who played at the WJC-18 tournament. This is an interesting strategy, as obviously these players left a good impression with Benning, but more importantly, they have cleared a hurdle in terms of their countries selection committee to get invited to the tournament in the first place."

On Zuhkenov
"we know Benning spent considerable time scouting international tournaments, including the WJC-18, where Zhukenov shined. In 16 international games for Russia last year, where Zhukenov displayed pretty slippery offensive instincts en route to 16 points in 16 games. His international play translates to a PCS of 26%. Close comparables in his international cohort include players like Alex Steen, David Krejci, Ondrej Palat, and Michael Granlund. Not to say he'll turn into a player of this calibre, but it does explain why Benning thought highly enough of him to select him in the fourth round, which is where both Craig Button and Corey Pronman expected him to go.
Zhukenov was selected 10th overall in the QMJHL import draft and will make his North American debut next year with Chicoutimi."

On Neill
"This was Neill's second year of draft eligibility after being passed over at the 2014 draft. He saw his offensive production almost double this year (22 points to 40 points), which we see reflected in a fairly promising 16% PCS. Normally, we'd expect players selected in this range to have a PCS of around 8%, so this looks like a pretty strong bet for the Canucks. For a prospect pool deficient in defensive talent, the addition of Neill's strong two-way game and size (6'3", 214lbs) was a good bet at this stage in the draft."

On Gaudette
"He'll be playing for Northeastern in the NCAA next season, so hopefully we see some signs of progress, although at this stage he looks like the weakest pick of the draft for the Canucks, in my opinion."

On Jasek
"Lukas Jasek may very well be the biggest late round steal in the 2015 NHL draft. He played the majority of the year in the Czech elite league, which is very impressive as he was one of the younger players in the 2015 draft class. His PCS based on his Czech elite league comparables was 31%, despite scoring only 2 points in 27 games in limited minutes. His offensive prowess was far more evident in his 24 games played at the U20 level where he scored 27 points, and his play on the international circuit. As with Zhukenov and Brisebois, it's likely Jasek was identified by Benning based on his strong play at the WJC-U18 tournament, where he helped the Czech Republic win a silver medal. His closest comparable based on international play? Nino Neidereitter."

On Olson
"With only 8% of Olson's closest peers going having gone on to successful NHL careers, he's definitely a long-shot. However, we'd typically expect a player with only a 4% chance at this stage in the draft, so he's definitely a solid choice among the players still on the board."

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning said if he had been able to land a second round pick, Brisebois is the guy they wanted. So they were pleasantly surprised he was there for them to select with the third.
Just like Anton Rodin!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

the toucan kid wrote:
REALLY!?
Gotta say, the kid doesn't look like a hockey player though
About that...

Yeah whose quote is that saying he didn't want to be drafted by Vancouver . He seemed pretty pumped to me . I guess some people want the players to break dance across the stage or start doing cartwheels
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Met Boeser at the summit. He seemed pretty happy to be a Canuck. In fact, all of the top prospects seemed to be jacked about being Canucks.

Look at Demko. He didn't even have to be here, but paid his own way to Vancity. He seems to genuinely love it here also.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote:Met Boeser at the summit. He seemed pretty happy to be a Canuck. In fact, all of the top prospects seemed to be jacked about being Canucks.

Look at Demko. He didn't even have to be here, but paid his own way to Vancity. He seems to genuinely love it here also.

They all got drafted at the right organizational time, they should be happy. Everyone of them has a chance to be a starter for this club if they keep developing. Being drafted into an organization like Detroit, Chicago or LA means 4-5 years of toiling away. Right now the Canucks are wide open.
The only HW the Canucks need