Draft Day 2015: Picks & Trades

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Draft Day 2015: Picks & Trades

Post by Hockey Widow »

On Lucic, he is pumped to be in LA as he feels he has a chance another cup or two. Was told it wasn't a destination he thought about because of their cap but now that he is there is first priority is to re-sign. So it's not a situation where he is chomping at the bit to get to UFA so he can come home anymore. If he was still in Boston he had no intention to re-resign and Vancouver was high on his list. But if it doesn't work out in LA then Vancouver is first on his list to explore next July.

Update on Bieksa and Lack rumours.

Canucks had spoken to Buffalo about their second. Buffalo was interested but had two goalies rated ahead of him. Talbot and Lehner.Sather did turn down a first from Buffalo, did not want Talbot in the division. Canucks were hoping Ottawa felt the same way so they were hopeful they could get the second. To be clear no one is saying Buffalo offered that but that there were serious discussions. The assumption was that if Ottawa had turned down the Lehrner deal Buffalo would have come knocking as they were pretty desperate to get one of Talbot,Lerhner or Lack, in that order. Brian Murray was close to turning it down as he did not want Lerhner in the division but got over it when Buffalo sweetened the deal by taking Legwand.

SJS wanted Lerhner and Talbot but for some reason never offered a first. They were also high on Lack, as they were on Bieksa. Word I got was that SJS offered the 2015, second and the 2016 second, for Bieksa and Lack but they were waiting to see if they could get Talbot. Then they backed out as they had other offers for those picks and began talks about Jones which took a couple of days to complete the deal. Once Jones got dealt to Boston they pulled out of the Lack talks and only held open the 2016 for Bieksa for a few hours. But even then they hesitated which is when the Canucks pulled out of talks.

No one had any idea what Wilson was doing. The message I got was that Wilson was all over the map with a number of different teams for a number of different trades. Bieksa was not asked to waive but as Doc and others suggested it was semantics.he did give the Canucks permission to explore a trade with SJS but did not officially waive.

So it seems teams ranked goalies as Talbot, Lerhner, Lack. The hold up was Buffalo who waited to get one of the two they wanted. Sather shipper Talbot to Edmonton rather than take a first but I have no idea why Wilson didn't offer the 2016 pick. LA didn't make Jones available until the Lucic trade and Boston immediately put him in play.

So complicated but in the end I think Wilson was just confusing to deal with. Edmonton never offered a second for Lack.they were targeting Talbot or Lehrner and were confident they would get one of them.they knew Buffalo would bite the bullet for one of them and were confident they would get the other. In fact I have been told they didn't make an offer for Lack so after the Canucks had enough of Wilson that left only Carolina offering up anything, originally just the third but the Canucks got a 7th next year thrown in. Small consolation but it seems that Buffalo would only take him if they lost out on their first two, Edmonton wasn't interest and SJS were all over the place. Other than that there weren't any suitors.

Bieksa had been told Thursday night that a deal was worked out with SJS but would not be consummated until Friday at which point he would have been formally asked to sign his waiver. Today's deal with Anaheim came out of no where. They were not previously n on any discussions but got put together very quickly.

*** did an edit. SJS offered second round picks not firsts.
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Hockey Widow wrote: in the division
I dont get this. You play your own division, six times out of eighty two games. I think Ottawa made the right move, not taking a first for Talbot and somehow Jones getting a first is overpayment.

So SJS doesn't pick until the third round next year? (Jones/KB3)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

cfp wrote:
I dont get this. You play your own division, six times out of eighty two games. I think Ottawa made the right move, not taking a first for Talbot and somehow Jones getting a first is overpayment.

Bieksa went to Anaheim.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Old news about me being from Toronto. Well over 20+ years ago. Got stuck in Calgary for 3.5 years in the days when HNIC had one regional game on Saturday nights. Hated Calgary and the Flames so by default starting following the Canucks. Have been a Canucks fan ever since. Still hate Calgary and haven't cheered for the leaves since.

I can speak to those days in leaves land. Hell I still remember their last cup in '67 :mrgreen: That's how old I am. And yes, they ruined a ton of goalie prospects by rushing them all to the NHL well before they were ready. We used to say that when Ballard died, then we would rebuild and get a team. Same shit, different owners.

At least I saw the light, the evil of my ways and repented before it was too late :mrgreen: and I never, ever, once,cheered for the Flames while I served my three years in purgatory that is known as Calgary.

I like to think I have some unique perspectives to bring to the debate :mrgreen: : :mrgreen: having lived in the lands of two enemies and all.
I lived in T.O. for a couple of years and watched Snepts play at the old Garden while sitting behind a post. I like the city and think they did a lot with it considering they do not have nature to blind people like my home town of Van. Anyhow, wherever you lived and however old you are, you give the best hockey writing on this thread, so keep it up Widow.

P.S. Also lived in Calgary for a year or so but never saw the Flames.
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
cfp wrote:

Bieksa went to Anaheim.

True, and if they were willing to trade Lack to SJS....maybe its not Benning mantra at all.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

cfp wrote:

It's more than that. It's not wanting to make a divisional rival that much better than they are. You are competing for playoff positioning.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

At 23rd overall, THE BEST CANUCK SELECTION EVER.
"evolution"
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Pavel Bure picked at 113th says hello...
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Puck wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 am Pavel Bure picked at 113th says hello...
Interesting comparison. Bure is the hands down winner of out-performing his draft position, but he woulda been top 10, or even top 5 if the GMs thought he could be brought over, due to contract/rules issues.

But, Boeser is easily our most over-achieving pick. Playing like a 2nd or 3rd overall at 23rd is a huge win for us.
(Unless Dekey Pete continues to play on the edge of being a generational talent...)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I recall that he wasn't drafted because teams thought he was too young to be eligible, so I had to look it up. Seems that is partly true as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Bure
Bure was selected 113th overall in the sixth round Draft by the Vancouver Canucks, following his rookie season with CSKA Moscow. The pick was controversial, as the Canucks had chosen him seemingly a year ahead of his eligible draft season. At the age of 18, he was available to be chosen in the first three rounds of the draft, but to be selected any later, he would have needed to play at least two seasons—with a minimum of 11 games per season—for his elite-level Soviet club, the Central Red Army.[22] While most teams believed he was ineligible, the Canucks' head scout at the time, Mike Penny, discovered Bure had played in additional exhibition and international games to make him an eligible late-round draft choice a year early.[23][24] Jack Button, the Washington Capitals' director of player personnel, admitted "everybody would have taken him earlier. We assumed he was not eligible... you've got to give the Canucks credit for doing their homework."[25]
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:57 am I recall that he wasn't drafted because teams thought he was too young to be eligible, so I had to look it up. Seems that is partly true as well:

Bure was selected 113th overall in the sixth round Draft by the Vancouver Canucks, following his rookie season with CSKA Moscow. The pick was controversial, as the Canucks had chosen him seemingly a year ahead of his eligible draft season. At the age of 18, he was available to be chosen in the first three rounds of the draft, but to be selected any later, he would have needed to play at least two seasons—with a minimum of 11 games per season—for his elite-level Soviet club, the Central Red Army.[22] While most teams believed he was ineligible, the Canucks' head scout at the time, Mike Penny, discovered Bure had played in additional exhibition and international games to make him an eligible late-round draft choice a year early.[23][24] Jack Button, the Washington Capitals' director of player personnel, admitted "everybody would have taken him earlier. We assumed he was not eligible... you've got to give the Canucks credit for doing their homework."[25]
Its one of the greasiest moves the Canucks ever pulled, and I absolutely love it. With the hand-written "game sheets" getting smuggled out of Russia, its too funny.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

OOPS
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:03 am Its one of the greasiest moves the Canucks ever pulled, and I absolutely love it. With the hand-written "game sheets" getting smuggled out of Russia, its too funny.
EPIC :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

ESQ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:03 am
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:57 am I recall that he wasn't drafted because teams thought he was too young to be eligible, so I had to look it up. Seems that is partly true as well:

Its one of the greasiest moves the Canucks ever pulled, and I absolutely love it. With the hand-written "game sheets" getting smuggled out of Russia, its too funny.
It was Larionov that tipped them off I recall.