3 on 3 OT Next Season (?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

3 on 3 OT Next Season (?)

Post by Cornuck »

LINK
The league's general managers and the NHL Players' Association agreed Tuesday to change its regular-season overtime period from four-on-four hockey to three-on-three.

The Board of Governors still must approve the change Wednesday when it meets in Las Vegas.
Less shootouts?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 3 on 3 OT Next Season (?)

Post by Hockey Widow »

The GMs originally wanted to still have 4-4 then after 4 minutes go to 3-3. The NHLPA said no, the most OT they would do is five minutes so either go right away to 3-3 or stay the course. I don't blame the players, 65 minutes is enough.

It should lead to fewer S/O.

I still want to make every game worth the same number of points though. That would do more for equity although it may take away parity.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I think that 3-on-3 would be awesome. There might be some pretty quick OT's if that is the case. That's a good thing for those of us an hour or two behind PST. :D

The only thing that sucks is after the Sedins/Edler we wouldn't have a very powerful looking OT lineup. Can you imagine Bonino/Vrbata/Hamhuis against any of the Blackhawks, Kings, or Ducks trio's? Ouch!
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think it's a great idea . In the past I thought it was gimmicky but I'm not a huge fan of the shoutout and with 3 on 3 there will be so much open ice out there which will really benefit the quick teams . I can't see Vancouver doing well in this format with all of the leadfoots they have but the overtime period will definitely be more exciting than a shoutout .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dumb idea, I would rather see a brawl for overtime, the last man standing wins, bring in McQuaid, bring back Blobby's buddy - Sestito
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

More so than 4 on 4, winning the faceoff and puck control will be the key.

Look for one forward to break out for the stretch pass on any turn over.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I think it's a great idea . In the past I thought it was gimmicky but I'm not a huge fan of the shoutout and with 3 on 3 there will be so much open ice out there which will really benefit the quick teams.
If you want true Open Ice, it would mean going down to 2 on 2 ;)

Topper wrote:More so than 4 on 4, winning the faceoff and puck control will be the key.

Basically every time there is a turn over, attacking players will be turning on the jets to get open for that stretch pass.

I like it, and am glad they are going straight to 3 on 3 instead of playing some time at 4 on 4.

Any mention on how penalties will be called? I would imagine that any penalty would result in a penalty shot.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

KeyserSoze wrote: Any mention on how penalties will be called? I would imagine that any penalty would result in a penalty shot.
Wouldn't they just add a player from the opposing team? ie Team A takes a penalty, Team B gets a 4-3 advantage? Not sure how the timing would work... maybe Team A's player in the box comes out after the penalty expires and they play 4-on-4 until the next stoppage?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:More so than 4 on 4, winning the faceoff and puck control will be the key.

Agreed Topper. If the twins win the F/O they could end it early but the same is true if they lose it, it could be over quick for us.
The only HW the Canucks need
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote: Any mention on how penalties will be called? I would imagine that any penalty would result in a penalty shot.
Wouldn't they just add a player from the opposing team? ie Team A takes a penalty, Team B gets a 4-3 advantage? Not sure how the timing would work... maybe Team A's player in the box comes out after the penalty expires and they play 4-on-4 until the next stoppage?
You could be right. I think that is how they do it in the AHL. I remember hearing rumblings about penalties in 3 on 3 turning into penalty shots, but that may have just been rumblings.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Curious - who the heck puts Bodger out for 2-on-2 OT?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I gotta hankerin' for some corn pops
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

This.

Although I hate Regular Season overtime + gimmickry...

I can't look away.

Secretly hoping they eventually go to 1 on 1 OT.

Goalie vs goalie, faceoff at centre ice. :twisted:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

So we will need a fast breaking forward ? and good face off man ? and 1 dman Horvath or Hank plus Danny or Vrbata and Edler or Bieksa ?

or maybe we use a defensive line to start with break out capabilities ? Horvath with Hansen and Hamhuis ?

I cant really see us doing well because of our lack of speed and mediocre face off men..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

RoyalDude wrote:Dumb idea, I would rather see a brawl for overtime, the last man standing wins, bring in McQuaid, bring back Blobby's buddy - Sestito
At least someone with brain. :mrgreen:

I would regulate it just to the goalies, 1 on 1...bring back Cloutier. he had a mean streak and devils fists.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'