We Are Not a Playoff Team

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: We Are Not a Playoff Team

Post by The_Pauser »

vic wrote:The core's not done, they just don't have a good enough supporting cast.

I can't wait to see the youngsters who make this team in the next few years. Imagine Calgary's youth combined with Vancouver's core. That's what the Canucks have to build.

I knew the Flames would win today, even when the Canucks went up 3-0, I still had that feeling. They play their game whether their up by a couple or down by three (we all saw that today). They have a system and they stick to it.

Hopefully Willie has learned from this experience and he makes adjustments earlier in the series next year.

Ferlund is a bitch. He does any of that shit against the Ducks and he'll be taken off on a stretcher.

Sbisa has to go.
Excuses excuses excuses. It's been the same old excuses for this core year after year after failing year after year. The Canucks have fired their GM. They've fired their coach twice. They've overhauled the bottom 6. At some point the core has to run out of opportunities.

That is, of course, unless you like having your nights in late April and May free because there's no Canucks hockey.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hey Pauser, who do you consider the core that needs to go. Just asking.mit would be helpful if when we all talk about "the core" we are all talking about the same thing.

The core is done. But who is the core?
The only HW the Canucks need
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hey Pauser, who do you consider the core that needs to go. Just asking.mit would be helpful if when we all talk about "the core" we are all talking about the same thing.

Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa.

I recognize not all of these guys are likely to move, especially the Sedins. But I'm convinced we won't win with this core.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The_Pauser wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hey Pauser, who do you consider the core that needs to go. Just asking.mit would be helpful if when we all talk about "the core" we are all talking about the same thing.

Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa.

I recognize not all of these guys are likely to move, especially the Sedins. But I'm convinced we won't win with this core.

Out if that list I would for sure like Bieksa and Higgins moved. Neither would bring much back, maybe Bieksa if a team bites, and hasn't watched him play much this year. Hamhuis I would hang onto and possible tend for the right term and cap. We need that type of experience. Edler could bring a good return if he would waive but if we clear them all out are you really prepared for the likes of Clendenning, Pedan, Subban, Stanton?

I like Burrows and think he would have helped the come back. And I agree the twins are not going anywhere.

But it is going to take more that just changing that group.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Strangelove was wrong (and a Coward to boot by changing my posts :evil: )
The devil you say.

You must prove an accusation like this or face the boot.
Prove that you change my posts or that you are a coward?!

Go fuck yourself Jagpreet :P

If you boot me it's because you are a coward. :devil:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boot

boot

noun \ˈbüt\

Definition of BOOT

1. archaic : deliverance

"devil" + "boot" = deliverance :sly:

The devil is also known as "the accuser"

Not sure how you missed all that oh accursed one.

(in light of your many satanic GDT posts of late)

Just a good-natured joke, calm the fuck down bro!

I haven't changed any of your posts in the known world (that was Rats + Corn).

I am not Indo-Canadian ("Jagpreet" is a racist term btw).

And I am most definitely the furthest thing from a "coward"!

I do admire the fact you've finally found the gumption to admit you were a male cheerleader in high school

... but that does not make everyone else cowards by way of comparison!

By the way, did you ever manage to find your way into your high school quarterback's pants?

Don't answer... just yet-another good-natured joke! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Sedins are fine, Vrbata is fine, Hamhius, Edler and Tanev are fine, Kassian, Horvat, Hansen, kenins are fine, Burrows is fine, I can live with Dorsett and Sbisa. The rest can fucking go
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:The Sedins are fine, Vrbata is fine, Hamhius, Edler and Tanev are fine, Kassian, Horvat, Hansen, kenins are fine, Burrows is fine, I can live with Dorsett and Sbisa. The rest can fucking go
Agreed with all of that except the Sbisa part.

But then Sbisa is not going anywhere, so I may as well get used to him right?
____
Try to focus on someday.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

We are again, not built for a playoff run. That combination of skill and grit . We are short on the grit, and most of this series it was like a deflector shield was around the calgary net,
Yes , we could have used kassian, and i do agree with doc, that we need more assholes on this team. Assholes who can fucking play hockey. To prove this point, lets just see how calgarys tactics go over with the ducks. I suspect , not very well.
Lack should have been put in after goal number 3.
Bennings moves this summer will be very telling as to where this team is heading.
more cap space!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

kelowna kanuck wrote:We are again, not built for a playoff run. That combination of skill and grit . We are short on the grit, and most of this series it was like a deflector shield was around the calgary net,
Yes , we could have used kassian, and i do agree with doc, that we need more assholes on this team. Assholes who can fucking play hockey. To prove this point, lets just see how calgarys tactics go over with the ducks. I suspect , not very well.
Lack should have been put in after goal number 3.
Bennings moves this summer will be very telling as to where this team is heading.
Yep, not even close if you look at all other playoff teams. Even the Jets had compete and team toughness in them.

We need to get Cassels up. Tough & talented.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

RoyalDude wrote:The Sedins are fine, Vrbata is fine, Hamhius, Edler and Tanev are fine, Kassian, Horvat, Hansen, kenins are fine, Burrows is fine, I can live with Dorsett and Sbisa. The rest can fucking go
Right, the whole team is fine. The core is fine. That's why we've always gotten our asses handed to us in the playoffs almost every year we're in them.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

kelowna kanuck wrote:To prove this point, lets just see how calgarys tactics go over with the ducks. I suspect , not very well.
Curious to see if the refs suddenly start calling Ferland for charging. At least 50% of his hits were charging or late and there was the odd targeted headshot (on Bieksa) & interference (on Sbisa) that he didn't get called on. If the refs called the rules on Ferland I suspect Hartley would have sat his ass on the pine. He could have had a dozen additional calls and thats being generous. Lets see how the refs call this and how the Ducks respond.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ClamRussel wrote:
kelowna kanuck wrote:To prove this point, lets just see how calgarys tactics go over with the ducks. I suspect , not very well.
Curious to see if the refs suddenly start calling Ferland for charging. At least 50% of his hits were charging or late and there was the odd targeted headshot (on Bieksa) & interference (on Sbisa) that he didn't get called on. If the refs called the rules on Ferland I suspect Hartley would have sat his ass on the pine. He could have had a dozen additional calls and thats being generous. Lets see how the refs call this and how the Ducks respond.
Interesting point clam.....I can't see them letting him operate the same way he did with us....but then again I couldn't see how they could let him operate the way he did against us either... :crazy:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Considering where the Canucks came from this year:

- half the "old core" traded, including 2C, both goalies, and the youngest top-4D, for youth and picks;
- The worst seasons from the Sedins in a decade
- one of the oldest teams in the League

I'd say the Canucks took major steps forward this year.

Nobody (except the Doc :mrgreen: ) thought that this team was going deep. Most didn't expect the team to make the playoffs. Most didn't expect a teenager to not only make the team, but be a major contributor at both ends of the ice and one of the postseason MVPs.

The Canucks have a 1st, 4th, 2x5th, and 6th round pick in this draft. I would think a couple UFAs could be shipped out for 3rd-5th rounders, and a more substantial asset could potentially get a 2nd or a 1st. The 2nd got us Baertschi (22), the 3rd got us Bonino (27) and Sbisa (25) - all younger players with decent contracts.

As long as you accept that the Canucks were never going to get a top-5 pick with the Tanking Competition going on, the Canucks gave up 10-15 spots in the draft, but got postseason experience for several key rookies - and a really good chance to go beyond the 1st. It didn't happen, but it was anybody's series, right up until the final period.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

The core's not done, they just don't have a good enough supporting cast.
They're certainly done as a "core." Some of these players will be very useful transitional pieces and a few may be good supporting cast members for the next core.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote:
The Canucks have a 1st, 4th, 2x5th, and 6th round pick in this draft. I would think a couple UFAs could be shipped out for 3rd-5th rounders, and a more substantial asset could potentially get a 2nd or a 1st. The 2nd got us Baertschi (22), the 3rd got us Bonino (27) and Sbisa (25) - all younger players with decent contracts.
Lol Sbisa is youngish but he sure as hell isnt on a decent contract. He was purely a cap dump by Anaheim and he was about 10th on the depth chart there . Luca Sbisa is among the very worst defencemen in the NHL yet he is paid like a quality top 4 d man . There's nothing decent about his contract at all .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”