2015 Canucks offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

2015 Canucks offseason

Post by SKYO »

Whose staying, whose going?

UFA's
Matthias, Richardson, Biega, Sanguinetti.

Goalie plan, Vet Miller.
Lack has one more year before he hits UFA.

Benning will probably trade a two or three vets for draft picks.

imo we got to get younger, team looks old and plays with a severe lack of intensity, change the core further!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: 2015 Canucks offseason

Post by 2Fingers »

I want to see a plan, something, anything.

Just a plan to make the team win the cup within 4 - 5 years.

Time really to bring in 2 - 3 more prospects and let them learn.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:Whose staying, whose going?

UFA's
Regular season stats aside, I'd be sincerely surprised if they resigned Matthias.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BurningBeard wrote:

UFA's
Regular season stats aside, I'd be sincerely surprised if they resigned Matthias.
Matthias is gone, maybe even Richardson if he wants too much $.

idgaf, I want Baertschi, Jensen and maybe even Shinkaruk+Gaunce on this team next season! :o

Sign a QB dman, force Bieksa outta here ha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

UFA's

idgaf, I want Baertschi, Jensen and maybe even Shinkaruk+Gaunce on this team next season! :o

Even if Richardson was healthy, I don't see him being important enough going forward to warrant the cap space. Same with Matthias - love his size and wheels, but no toolbox to justify keeping him over what prospects would come up.

As for the goalies, not sure if even a healthy Miller would have gotten the team past game 6. I have a feeling Lack could. If Benning has a California plan for Miller, so much the better because IMO Lacki has more value as a player to Vancouver than as a trade chip.

Doubtful that Benning will be able to improve the blueline with outside assets. Will have to live and die with what is in the organization.

Bring on the youth!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Resigning Sbisa at those numbers was a terrible move. The guy is bloody awful and its magnified when he's played w/ a washed up Bieksa. I've never seen a pairing cost us so many goals off giveaways. Just brutal.

Those 2 have to go. I seriously question Benning's judgment if he still sees Sbisa as a future top 4. It's bad enough having Weber in our top 4. As long as those 3 comprise half our bluline core this team is going nowhere. I'd rather Stanton have been worked in at some point in a stay-at-home role.

D-core needs an enema.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ClamRussel wrote:Resigning Sbisa at those numbers was a terrible move. The guy is awful and its magnified when he's played w/ a washed up Bieksa. I've never seen a pairing cost us so many goals off giveaways. Just brutal.

Those 2 have to go. I seriously question Benning's judgment if he still sees Sbisa as a future top 4. It's bad enough having Weber in our top 4. As long as those 3 comprise half our blueline core this team is going nowhere. I'd rather Stanton have been worked in at some point in a stay-at-home role.
I'm wondering why so many people have decided that Sbisa cannot improve?
Isn't conventional wisdom the Dmen take time to hit their potential
How old is Sbisa? I dunno maybe he'll better next year... I mean you can teach a guy to go up the boards with the puck but you cant teach size and toughness
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

ukcanuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Resigning Sbisa at those numbers was a terrible move. The guy is awful and its magnified when he's played w/ a washed up Bieksa. I've never seen a pairing cost us so many goals off giveaways. Just brutal.

Those 2 have to go. I seriously question Benning's judgment if he still sees Sbisa as a future top 4. It's bad enough having Weber in our top 4. As long as those 3 comprise half our blueline core this team is going nowhere. I'd rather Stanton have been worked in at some point in a stay-at-home role.
How old is Sbisa? I dunno maybe he'll better next year... I mean you can teach a guy to go up the boards with the puck but you cant teach size and toughness
I agree that D men tend to develop later so I can live with the guy getting more time to develop and improve. That doesn't, however, explain that contract. That contract makes no sense. What were Sbisa's option; he had little leverage. Anyway, it is what it is, and I presume Benning is not trading him after first trading for him and giving him the contract. I want Bieksa off that defense, and fast. He's a loser, can't maintain composure, and while seemingly a smart person is a dead dumb hockey player. Weber I don't mind, but he should be a third pairing guy who gets PP work. Hamhuis I could see moving if there is no plan to resign him, see if we get some picks. Problem there is, the D depth is so bad who replaces him?

In my view, while there are questions about the forwards (Higgins can go, Hanson and Burrows, either way, but if the price is right sure, Matthias can go, too inconsistent, Richardson I like, but injury issues, Kassian, who the hell knows, Vey, I doubt Benning moves him and maybe he improves but he could just as easily be gone, don't care. Vrbata signed one more year, he stays, and should, was great in reg season), Benning's #1 job, and everything else is a distant 2nd, is to fix that damn defense. Let's face it, the team scored 4 goals last night, in a road playoff game. There's nothing to complain about that. 4 goals on the road; you have to win that game; your offense has done it's job. It's the D-core, after Edler-Tanev, that needs re-building. I could see Benning moving a Hanson or Burrows to get some D-help. In our prospect system, our best are forwards. Shinkaruk is playing well of late, scoring in playoffs, hopefully he gets a shot, and Gaunce has had a strong season, looks like a potential #3 center. They will probably give Virtanen and McCann every chance to make the team. So, present forwards (Hanson, Burrows etc) could maybe be turned into D depth.

In goal, my hunch is they stay with the Miller-Lack combo. I don't think Miller is tradeable with that contract and his inconsistency, and the combo with Lack gives them a strong enough pairing to compete next year, unless someone throws a #1 pick at Benning for Lack, and I doubt that will happen.

And finally, I'll end on good news. The best news of the year, and that is freaking Bo Horvat. This kid gives me hope for the future on a dreary morning after another epic Canuck playoff fail. He's our #2 center for the next 10 years, our future captain, and the kid had the look of a winner. He was a consistent, high level playoff performer. I'll go big on the comparison, he's going to be our Toews! Yeah, I know, hell of a reach, but the kids got leadership, 5 tool skills, and drive aplenty to lead this team down the road. He is the best fucking thing that happened in Canuck-land this year, bar none. Hopefully, one or both of Virtanen or McCann (or one of the other young guys) can similarly step up next year.

My first memory as a Canuck fan was being about 9 or 10 and watching them lose to the Habs in the playoffs in the Gary Smith/Phil Maloney years...and as with every year since, it ends either with another bad regular season, or as this season, another playoff loss. I'm about to hit 50...and I can only hope/wonder, will they win this damn Cup in my lifetime. Bo Bo Bo...please lead us to the promise land!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

UFA's

Lol Jensen isn't good enough . Gaunce can't skate and Shinkaruk isn't ready yet .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Boston Canucker wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

I agree that D men tend to develop later so I can live with the guy getting more time to develop and improve. That doesn't, however, explain that contract. That contract makes no sense. What were Sbisa's option; he had little leverage. Anyway, it is what it is, and I presume Benning is not trading him after first trading for him and giving him the contract. I want Bieksa off that defense, and fast. He's a loser, can't maintain composure, and while seemingly a smart person is a dead dumb hockey player. Weber I don't mind, but he should be a third pairing guy who gets PP work. Hamhuis I could see moving if there is no plan to resign him, see if we get some picks. Problem there is, the D depth is so bad who replaces him?
Bieksa is listed at 6'1" 198lbs. Sbisa is listed at 6'2" 198lbs. Rumors were that Benning see's Luca as a replacement for Juice. They are similar player, but I think Sbisa hits harder, and is probably being listed at least 10lbs underweight there. Bieksa will probably be moved in the summer.....if he will waive. Frankly I think that is a big "if" though.

In goal, my hunch is they stay with the Miller-Lack combo. I don't think Miller is tradeable with that contract and his inconsistency, and the combo with Lack gives them a strong enough pairing to compete next year, unless someone throws a #1 pick at Benning for Lack, and I doubt that will happen.
Benning needs to move one of them and run with Markstrom as a backup. He should look at whatever he has to do to maximize his return on one of them. It would be foolish not to see just how good of a return Lack brings as the centerpiece of a package going to a team in need of goaltending. We have had a surplus in the crease in recent years, time to make it payoff.
And finally, I'll end on good news. The best news of the year, and that is freaking Bo Horvat. This kid gives me hope for the future on a dreary morning after another epic Canuck playoff fail. He's our #2 center for the next 10 years, our future captain, and the kid had the look of a winner. He was a consistent, high level playoff performer. I'll go big on the comparison, he's going to be our Toews! Yeah, I know, hell of a reach, but the kids got leadership, 5 tool skills, and drive aplenty to lead this team down the road. He is the best fucking thing that happened in Canuck-land this year, bar none. Hopefully, one or both of Virtanen or McCann (or one of the other young guys) can similarly step up next year.
No question, but I don't think it's a "hell of a reach" to draw that comparison. Toews will produce better point totals, but I suspect Bo will end up being better in the face-off circle, a better defensive center, and probably not too far behind in points. Toews is a career 75 point player so far, which is good considering all the intangibles he brings along with his 200 foot game. If Bo turns into a 65-70 point guy (which is possible) who elevates in the post-season, tack a couple of scoring wingers onto either side of him and you have yourself a really good line.

Even Kypreos pointed at him in a big way, after the loss last night, calling Horvat the future captain of the Canucks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

UFA's

Lol Jensen isn't good enough . Gaunce can't skate and Shinkaruk isn't ready yet .
8 goals and 12 points in his last 13 games during the regular season.

2 goals and 3 points through 2 games in the playoffs.

Shinkaruk has played his way from Utica's 4th line all the way up to the top line.

If the Comets manage a deep playoff run Hunter could quite easily be ready for us next year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

UFA's

Goalie plan, Vet Miller.
Lack has one more year before he hits UFA.

Benning will probably trade a two or three vets for draft picks.

imo we got to get younger, team looks old and plays with a severe lack of intensity, change the core further!
Figured I would take the night to cool off before writing anything about moving forward. Was pretty disappointed last night but it wasn't unexpected, they are a mediocre team that played mediocre hockey. Too bad we lost to the Flamers but what are you going to do.

Now on to the future, there are few untouchable players.

Horvat
Sedin x 2
Tanev

That's it, everyone else could be had. Edler for example has been awful in the playoffs for years even though he had a solid regular season - he could be traded for the right return.

Could go for a decent return:

Bonino
Hansen
Vrbata
Lack
Hamhuis
Burrows

All of these guys played reasonably well but they have some value and could get some back. I would be open to trading any of them.

No man's land:

Kassian
Sbisa
Dorsett
Higgins
Weber

All for different reasons. Kass because of his injury, who knows what will happen with him. Sbisa I would love to see gone but that's highly unlikely given his new contract. Dorsett the same, was invisible when the going got tough against the Flamers. Higgins is redundant and Weber needs a new deal but we can't fit him under the cap unless other treadles are made.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out:

Bieksa
Matthias
Richardson

Time to get rid of juice, he was awful this year and will have value to some idiot GM who values toughness and leadership - sounds just like Benning. Matthias and Richardson are too expensive.

Play the kids - Baertschi, Vey, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Clendening, Virtanen, McCann, Kenins, Pedan, etc - no idea who is ready and who isn't but pick a few and actually give them some good minutes. All trades should be for picks and prospects, or young players ready to take a decent role in the league.

The fans have spoken with their wallets this year and they are done with this core, nobody showing up night in night out was embarrassing. Get some youth, get rid of the remaining old guard save the twins (who are here unti, retirement if you ask me) and let's see what happens with some new blood next year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

UFA's

Jensen I would agree, he hasn't shown enough. Back to the Comets next year. Gaunce is close to being ready, he's not fast but he sure is smart out there. Likely never more than a 3rd line centre or winger but he will make the NHL sooner rather than later.

Shinkaruk is close, has looked great for the last 20 games or so, so it's not just a few games. Has 3 points in 2 playoff games and has been very good offensively for said 20 games. With an off-season of training and adding another 5-8 pounds of muscle I could see him making the team next year. Depends on him because the skill is certainly there.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Diehard1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

UFA's

Jensen I would agree, he hasn't shown enough. Back to the Comets next year. Gaunce is close to being ready, he's not fast but he sure is smart out there. Likely never more than a 3rd line centre or winger but he will make the NHL sooner rather than later.

Shinkaruk is close, has looked great for the last 20 games or so, so it's not just a few games. Has 3 points in 2 playoff games and has been very good offensively for said 20 games. With an off-season of training and adding another 5-8 pounds of muscle I could see him making the team next year. Depends on him because the skill is certainly there.
I agree on Gaunce and Shinakaruk, and Jensen, yeah, not sure what happened to him. On Gaunce not being able to skate, reports are that has improved and looking at the conditioning program the Canucks had Bo on that clearly helped his skating - and hearing that Gaunce has a pretty good work ethic - I would bet Gaunce's skating will get better. He seems like a smart player, hard worker.

With the Canucks out, at least I can turn to the Comets, watch a good Canuck farm team go for it. It ain't the big show, but what the hell...beggars can't be choosers!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sbisa would have to have some guts to replace Bieksa. Right now he's just a brain-dead d-man with a slight penchant for physical play. Ridiculous to sign him and move him into our top-4.

If Benning tries to "stay the course" with this squad we're hosed. He doesn't win many trades, so hopefully he can get draft picks back for the guys he ships out this summer. His eye for NHL talent is weak at best, junior scouting seems better.

Benning will likely trade Bieksa and Kassian for soft, shitty, wingers. For a guy that was in the Bruins braintrust he sure likes pussies.

At least the Oilers have something to look forward to.