Dorsett & Sbisa signed to multi-year contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Dorsett & Sbisa signed to multi-year contracts

Post by Cornuck »

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762157
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed forward Derek Dorsett to a four-year contract and defenceman Luca Sbisa to three-year contract.

Bob McKenzie: Derek Dorsett has a new four-year deal with VAN. AAV is $2.65M.

News1130 Sports: @sportsnetmurph reports Luca Sbisa's new deal is worth 3.6-million a season
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Dorsett & Sbisa signed to multi-year contracts

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Nice. Wonder what their cap hits will come in at...
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I wonder why this is in the hockey pool section?

:mrgreen:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:I wonder why this is in the hockey pool section?

:mrgreen:
Oops! :oops: I must have been too excited about the Pizza signing....
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

I think the Dorsett contract is a bit much, but is roughly what Steve Ott is making.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jesus Christ. Benning is an idiot.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Overall, this is poor management, IMO.

Sbisa does not deserve a reward in terms of a multi-year contract. He has not earned this contract. He was not a flight risk, and barring huge amounts of progress, is easily replaceable for a fraction of this cap hit. This contract is in Jeff Finger territory bad.

Dorsett is a good soldier, but that is an expensive and long deal. We are basically paying him UFA dollars, and I'm not so sure Kenins won't surpass Dorsett on the depth chart before too long. Dorsett is probably past his prime, but I can live with this deal because he is a quality player who is a legitimate threat to chip in offensively while being a physical force.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Between today's absurdities, the Kesler giveaway, the Miller contract and the regular flushing of second-round picks, Benning is starting to look pretty dumb.

If it wasn't for that Vrbata deal, man. :crazy:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Benning won't last long with moves like this.

I shudder to think what Benning is lining up to pay Matthias. Brad Richardson is surely worth $4M.

$2.65 for DD and $3.6 for Sbisa is more or less what we are paying Higgins, Hansen and Bonino.

What leverage did Sbisa even have? I would have surmised a multi-year deal would have resulted in a pay cut, not an increase given his piss poor performance.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:Benning won't last long with moves like this.

I shudder to think what Benning is lining up to pay Matthias. Brad Richardson is surely worth $4M.

$2.65 for DD and $3.6 for Sbisa is more or less what we are paying Higgins, Hansen and Bonino.

What leverage did Sbisa even have? I would have surmised a multi-year deal would have resulted in a pay cut, not an increase given his piss poor performance.
I was hoping they'd hang on to Richardson but man, now I'm scared to see what he's worth in Dumbfuck Jimbo's world.

Honestly, Benning comes off like a moron in interviews, and now he comes off like one everywhere else too. Gillis was a fucking genius compared to this guy and he gets treated like he kept the Canucks in the draft lottery around here.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Sbisa is the second worst defenseman in the NHL (his 3.17 Goals Against per 60 minutes of play, is second worst only to a 21 year old rookie who plays for the terrible Oilers).

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings ... rtdir=DESC
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:I was hoping they'd hang on to Richardson but man, now I'm scared to see what he's worth in Dumbfuck Jimbo's world.

Honestly, Benning comes off like a moron in interviews, and now he comes off like one everywhere else too. Gillis was a fucking genius compared to this guy and he gets treated like he kept the Canucks in the draft lottery around here.
Richardson would be a great utility guy going forward. He can play center, wing, can kill penalties, etc.

At this rate we will need to move a good player or two out to fit this garbage under the cap.

Gillis was an asshole who misread the goalie market and drafted poorly in his early years, but his signings were generally good to excellent.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ya that's a little heavy for LS but who becomes available for top 4 duty this summer? Can you afford to let him walk with nobody lined up to take his place?
He is improving and this might work out to be fair if that continues but today it's a little steep

Dorsett just cashed in big time. There's no denying he is valuable to the team but boy did Benning just pay for it.
If you need air...call it in
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

herb wrote:Sbisa is the second worst defenseman in the NHL (his 3.17 Goals Against per 60 minutes of play, is second worst only to a 21 year old rookie who plays for the terrible Oilers).

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings ... rtdir=DESC
Interesting...whooduh thought that Nick Hjalmarsson and Ian Cole were the best 2 defenseman in the league?! ;)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I was hoping they'd hang on to Richardson but man, now I'm scared to see what he's worth in Dumbfuck Jimbo's world.

Richardson would be a great utility guy going forward. He can play center, wing, can kill penalties, etc.

At this rate we will need to move a good player or two out to fit this garbage under the cap.

Gillis was an asshole who misread the goalie market and drafted poorly in his early years, but his signings were generally good to excellent.
Ridiculous NTC's are good to excellent?