Dorsett & Sbisa signed to multi-year contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Dorsett & Sbisa signed to multi-year contracts

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:If we trade Miller we will have to take someone back, I am assuming a pick/prospect plus a salary dump from the team he goes to.
We'll take Kesler back.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mëds wrote:
herb wrote:Which NTCs were ridiculous? Which NTCs have held the team back from being competitive?

Which cap hits were unreasonable? Which players did Gillis pay above market rate for when he re-signed them?

Which contracts would you say were not good?
Luongo's NTC and term. The return on him was much less than it should have been. I'll grant that the term wasn't a problem until the recapture penalties came into play with a new CBA.
A lot of that was media bull**** whining about his contract, for a top caliber goalie $6.7 (a 5.7 cap hit) is not at all unusual.
Thank Buttman for throwing in a "Roberto Luongo" rule to taget Vancouver (and a few others)
LA and NJ were forgiven or allowed to bend the rules, do you suppose the NHL will do the same for Vancouver in a few years if Lu retires before 38? :mad:
Ryan Kesler's NTC sure made things tough last season for Benning.
I'm not too impressed with his timid negotiating.
He should have told Kesler, - "You signed the damn contract with NTC, either give me a list of 10 teams or play out your contract here"
If he doesn't want to play in VAN and demands to be traded to a division rival then F**K him. :mad:
Honor your contact dude or retire, or default.
Giving the Sedins a 4 year extension at $7M each with full NMC's was terrible management of players who were showing signs of regression due to age. Most of the cap hits aren't terrible, but look at some of the under performing we've witnessed and a complete inability to do much about it.
Going rate for first line talent is around $8 mil, and nobody's getting more than about 85 points this year, so it's not far from market value.
A whole lot better than Mike Richards at $7, or Kessel. Lecavalier for $10 mil, or Ovie for $10 mil and finishing -35 is far worse value.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks had a very healthy and heated debate about Mr. Kesler and his demands. There was a brief time where they were going to let him park his ass rather than give into his demands. In the end Benning had the final decision and it was, to be done with the gong show, cut your losses and get the best deal you can, and move on. I thnk he made the right decision for us this year and going forward. I just wish he still had Luongo to trade too as I think in the end MG just didn't care. He knew he was gone. It's a breath of fresh air around that place, until the next goalie controversy :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Both guys bring some good things to the team, Dorsett (leadership and grit), Pizza-man (a mobile physical D-man), but it does feel like we overpaid a bit for both of them. Both guys are in their primes I guess, so their best hockey will probably be coming in these new few years. Hopefully, they'll give us even more than what they delivered in this past season. I guess if worst comes to worst, we can just trade them.

Just thinking with Pizza-man, we signed Garrison for like $4.5. If we just signed Pizza-man as a unrestricted free agent for 2 years @ $3.8/per, I think most of us would of said that it's a pretty good signing. I really like Stanton too, but don't really see Pizza-man as a huge upgrade over Stanton. I hope we don't loose Stanton. With 3 of our D-core getting pretty good raises (Tanev, Pizza and Weber soon), we'll need a couple of D-men like Stanton who are making close to the minimum.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Stop smoking rock
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Bro, he DOES teach chemistry.

Back of the library near the angry turbaned gentleman. There's a waiting list.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:The Canucks had a very healthy and heated debate about Mr. Kesler and his demands. There was a brief time where they were going to let him park his ass rather than give into his demands. In the end Benning had the final decision and it was, to be done with the gong show, cut your losses and get the best deal you can, and move on. I thnk he made the right decision for us this year and going forward. I just wish he still had Luongo to trade too as I think in the end MG just didn't care. He knew he was gone. It's a breath of fresh air around that place, until the next goalie controversy :mrgreen:
I think Gillis got a decent return on Lu, given the circumstance. (although I didn't like taking money back)
It was a problem as WE were asking him to waive his NTC, and we got a steaming turd from Buttman (Luongo clause)
I'm partly agreeing that it's best to get rid of a malcontent, but part of me wants to see them park his ass, until he waives his NTC to our liking.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Just thinking with Pizza-man, we signed Garrison for like $4.5. If we just signed Pizza-man as a unrestricted free agent for 2 years @ $3.8/per, I think most of us would of said that it's a pretty good signing. I really like Stanton too, but don't really see Pizza-man as a huge upgrade over Stanton. I hope we don't loose Stanton.
Garrison had a couple of productive seasons in Florida, and could have gotten more than 4.5 on the market.
Do you suppose someone wanted to pay Sbisa $4 mil or more?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

LOL* Yup, I'm a chemist on the side and ZK is my #1 customer. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hey morons Sbisa is what 24? A good team guy,'hits like a fucking truck, plays with an edge in front of the crease has some asshole-ness to his game, great size, will fight. Love the two signings today

Kassian will be traded, the team doesn't miss him, play great without him. Coaches hate him, doesn't have the brain to play the way the coaches want him too, a lousy pro and influence in the room, get rid of Zack ADHD Kassian
Sbisa is a horrific contract . A bottom pairing d man is worth 1 - 2 million a season . Just a dumb move for a really dumb player who is 25 btw with 340 NHL games under his belt . Yes he is still learning after seven years in the league :baaa: . Wake up .

Yet you have a problem with Kassian who is on a 20 goal pace and making less than half of what Lucas will make with a lot less pro experience . The agenda is getting old . The trolling is worse than your old performances at the Dufferin at 2 AM .

I can live with the Dorsett signing even if it is a year too long and 400 K too much , but the Sbisa signing is terrible . Iggy must have been smoking rock last night . I guess Doug Lidster is going to be earning his money trying to turn that guy into a useful player .
Burrows is now the owner of the fifth shittiest contract on the team. Good thing Bieksa is only around for one more year . Sbisa, Miller and Dorsett are all fucking boat anchors and all signed by the same boozer . Eye Bags is looking pretty good right about now . Ignitowski needs a magician to help him out of the mess he has created .
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Burrows is now the owner of the fifth shittiest contract on the team. Good thing Bieksa is only around for one more year . Sbisa, Miller and Dorsett are all fucking boat anchors and all signed by the same boozer . Eye Bags is looking pretty good right about now . Ignitowski needs a magician to help him out of the mess he has created .
Yeah no kidding. :mad:
Bieksa certainly looks to be on the decline, but if he isn't there who's going to provide toughness?
If you think KB3 is bad, can you imagine how Sbisa & Weber will look as our top pair?

Burrows still provides value, by the time his contract is done we'd expect McCann, Virtaanen etc to take his place in the top 6.
It would be a good time to develop the young players, except JB wants to double down on a losing hand, bringing in Miller at $6 mil is NOT what you'd do for on team rebuilding/retooling
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah at this point they may as well keep the biter . I'm not real confident in Ignitowski . Trading a 2nd for Vey was a horrible move . The Sbisa extension and the Miller signing all look brutal right now . I can see him ditching Kassian for scraps and re signing Bieksa to a three year deal .
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yeah at this point they may as well keep the biter . I'm not real confident in Ignitowski . Trading a 2nd for Vey was a horrible move . The Sbisa extension and the Miller signing all look brutal right now . I can see him ditching Kassian for scraps and re signing Bieksa to a three year deal .
With the teams whimpy tent folding getting rid of character guys like Burrows and Kassian is wrong. Yeah you hate Sbisa and Dorsetts contract but every team needs a Dorsett as he he's scrapper who can a actually play. To me Dorsett looked out of gas. Sbisa makes mistakes but he's young and is also a character guy who can lay out some nasty hits and can handle the tough going. The team needs more warriors instead of tent folders like Higgins and Matthias
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yeah at this point they may as well keep the biter . I'm not real confident in Ignitowski . Trading a 2nd for Vey was a horrible move . The Sbisa extension and the Miller signing all look brutal right now . I can see him ditching Kassian for scraps and re signing Bieksa to a three year deal .
With the teams whimpy tent folding getting rid of character guys like Burrows and Kassian is wrong. Yeah you hate Sbisa and Dorsetts contract but every team needs a Dorsett as he he's scrapper who can a actually play. To me Dorsett looked out of gas. Sbisa makes mistakes but he's young and is also a character guy who can lay out some nasty hits and can handle the tough going. The team needs more warriors instead of tent folders like Higgins and Matthias
Dorsett contract is not that bad, 2.6 with no NTC is workable.
Sbisa is a bad contract unless he projects into the top 4, so far not shown anything special on either offensive or defence, so JB is paying for unproven potential, which might be a bust.

Higgins is a 3rd line guy who does PK - he never should have been on the 2nd line or the PP
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Both those contracts are awful. There should be someone in the organization that does what Dorsett does for half the price. Sbisa is not a top-4 dman. Classic example of potential valued more than reality.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Both those contracts are awful. There should be someone in the organization that does what Dorsett does for half the price. Sbisa is not a top-4 dman. Classic example of potential valued more than reality.
Dude, Dorsett and Sbisa are not the problem, they are just your Lightning rod right now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dorsett is a bad contract I can live with . He provides toughness and a lot of effort while not being a complete liability .

Sbisa is a 6-7 d man who throws a few big hits but has been one of the worst defencemen statistically over the last five seasons . That isn't a slump or a cold streak . He is a bad player . He has played seven NHL seasons so what you see is what you get . I would have been ok with him on a two year deal for around 1.5 million a year . I would have let him walk and signed Adam Mcquaid to that contract .