The Defence

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: The Defence

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote:Fast forward a couple years!

This summer I think we can further solidify the defense until Juolevi is ready to shine.

CC Brethren I'd sign B. Campbell for one year @$2M to allow Juolevi to develop one more season, I don't want to rush the kid.

Plus we need help with the transition game and Campbell can show Hutton and Stecher how it's done, additionally BC would come cheaply & be reunited with his bro Guds. Campbell would gel nicely with our other senior players like the Sedins.

We can then trade Tanev for big LW'er.

2017/18 defense.

EDLER - STECHER (big vet - young QB)

CAMPBELL - GUDBRANSON (vet QB - defensive dman)

HUTTON - TRYAMKIN (dynamic dynamo pairing)

Biega the bulldog!

This way we got 3 pairs of an offensive dman with a big dman who can help defend.

Huts and Tramz get a better position to succeed on the 3rd pairing while they learn the pro game further.
Sbiz to Vegas.

take care.

So let's be clear here, before Utica playoffs even start, before training camp and exhibition games, before players get summer evaluations, before anything else....

You want to send the message to our developing defence corps (Brisebois, Jolevi, Subban, Pedan, etc) that there is no room for them with the big club next year?!???
You want to get OLDER on defence during our rebuild?!?

Then at the end, you trade Tanev (younger than Edler) instead of Edler (turns 33/34 when team will be on upswing)

Dude... seriously... WTF?!??

One day your in the trade thread clambering to get younger, then the next, this little,gem pops out...

You get full marks in "knee jerk reaction, armchair GM"
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol who pissed in your cornflakes, oh right your name starts with MAD.

You see MAD, defense and forwards develop at different rates.

It's quite simple really.

I don't want to rush Juolevi, comparables to look at is Hedman/Larsson/most Euro dmen etc they take 3-4 years to develop.

Forwards you can slot them in at a younger age and not worry as much if they are scorers, exceptions are two-way types & powerforwards who take longer to develop.

In any case a mix of young dmen (Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin) intertwined with intermediate level dmen (Gudbranson, Biega) & a couple vets (Edler, Campbell) would be great for the team overall.

Our young QB's Stecher and Hutton can learn a lot from the vet Campbell.

And Juolevi can develop one more season, & he'll probably get 9 NHL games next season as well to get him ready for the bigs in 2018/19.

And if Juolevi explodes onto the scene in preseason/exhibition games we can sit a player, can easily find a way to make it work.

Plus as always the team usually has about half of our defense injured at any given time during the past few years, it's absolutely ridiculous.

So Chill The Fuck Out.

*As for Tanev - What is the team's biggest weakness? yup - scoring goals.

Tanev doesn't help with that, the play usually dies on his stick and he's always injured.

The time to sell is now for him, well this offseason/draft whenever.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Does no one remember the days of runts first stint in Chicago when Vancouver would target him on the forecheck?

LOL old gelding and little trojan

Skyo, your pinto is going to explode.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm the defensive wizard bruh, my defense is like Patriots combined with Seahawks legion of boom styles.

QB - defensive dman.

We should get three QB's to help the team score and transition out of our zone, I'm tired of the low-scoring two-way dmen we have currently.

Edler, Sbisa, Guds, Tryamkin, Biega, Tanev all of em can't put up points much, it's no wonder we aren't great at putting up points.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:I'm the defensive wizard bruh, my defense is like Patriots combined with Seahawks legion of boom styles.

QB - defensive dman.

We should get three QB's to help the team score and transition out of our zone, I'm tired of the low-scoring two-way dmen we have currently.

Edler, Sbisa, Guds, Tryamkin, Biega, Tanev all of em can't put up points much, it's no wonder we aren't great at putting up points.
Don't ley him get to ya.
Topper must be one of those old schoolers who think what Bobby Orr and Paul Coffee brought to the game ruined it.
No room for creative thinking on D. Stay at home, blah, blah, blah. :lol: :lol:
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

wrong connotation of 'Mad', but if it makes you feel better to post in a condescending manner, then yay for you.
I don't want to rush Juolevi, comparables to look at is Hedman/Larsson/most Euro dmen etc they take 3-4 years to develop.
I quite understand that Defence take longer to develop. My point was 2 fold:

1) what message does bringing in a older guy - who will take up a roster spot- to the young guys like Subban, Brisebios, Pedan, etc-- who have been around in the AHL for a few years with no real space on the main roster for callups. There are guys in the system who have accomplished all they can accomplish down there, and either need the opportunity to move up, or we need to move them on. The team needs roster spots available to get these guys up to the NHL (if they make the team).

2) You completely ignored the entire "why are you flip-flopping on getting younger and older"..
your all in for getting younger, except you cant seem to handle the losing that goes along with the number of rookies we have. After every loss, you have a trade that makes the team better. Have some patience.

now, responding your feeble attempt to get away from said pointed out flip floopiness and Knee Jerking, if you really are sold out on getting younger, then understand that the team will not be competing for a cup for a couple years. Trade Edler now (if he is willing) and get what you can for him. Look at Edlers decline over the last couple years. Seriously, what will he be worth in 2-3 years?? --ZIP. Selling him now is getting as much as you will ever get. 2-3 years from now, Tanev will still be a good RH shut down guy.. at that point, you can trade Tanev for whatever this team needs at that particular moment (be it a center, winger, whatever) as every team is ALWAYS looking for solid, dependable RH defencemen. lots of people need to get over the hard ons for Edler and start looking to the future.

oh, one last thing, old dogs like Campbell are not going to 'teach a guy to QB the PP'... that's what coaches and video does for players that already have the skill set..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:lol who pissed in your cornflakes, oh right your name starts with MAD.

Nobody pissed in anyone's cornflakes SKYO. Your roster moves are often well outside the realm of reality.....this particular maneuver makes absolutely zero sense.

We don't need to add a new veteran name to the blueline right now, unless the addition of a new name replaces the name Edler. Otherwise just stay the course and improve the blueline from within.

Any halfway decent salary expenditure during free agency should be given to a top-6 forward.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
wrong connotation of 'Mad', but if it makes you feel better to post in a condescending manner, then yay for you.
Why you got act like a little bitch bro?

Madcombinepilot wrote:
I quite understand that Defence take longer to develop. My point was 2 fold:

1) what message does bringing in a older guy - who will take up a roster spot- to the young guys like Subban, Brisebios, Pedan, etc-- who have been around in the AHL for a few years with no real space on the main roster for callups.

There are guys in the system who have accomplished all they can accomplish down there, and either need the opportunity to move up, or we need to move them on. The team needs roster spots available to get these guys up to the NHL (if they make the team).
Well for one thing we have enough young guys on our defense, and you can see their mistakes in every game.

Subban is a slightly slower clone of Stecher, and they are both pretty tiny, in fact Subban is smaller at 5'9 and he's a right side dman where we have plenty of dmen already.
Vegas apparently has been highly scouting Utica, imo they are targeting Subban, more than couple teams probably have interest, JS is probable trade bait down the road thanks to having Stecher here.

You realize Brisebios is only 19 right? still has another year of junior and then some time in the AHL.

Pedan is a career AHLer.

Even with all our injuries this year not many AHL dmen have done much or been noticed to be promoted to be a difference maker in the game.

Madcombinepilot wrote: 2) You completely ignored the entire "why are you flip-flopping on getting younger and older"..
your all in for getting younger, except you cant seem to handle the losing that goes along with the number of rookies we have.

After every loss, you have a trade that makes the team better. Have some patience.
I'm the trade guy, everyone around here knows that!
and most of my trades involve getting a young power LW or a young center.

Yes I'm an advocate of getting younger, but I also don't want a full defense of rookies, fuck that nonsense.

A sound defense has a mix of vets and young guys ready to take over soon, defense is a tricky spot to create a top 6, unless you have a Norris trophy guy (Lidstrom/Pronger/Chara), you are going to need the right blend of skillsets to be effective and that includes vets/youth, QB's and big defensive dmen, some two-way types.

We got a lot of young guys getting big minutes as it is, and soon we'll have Brisebios, Chatfield and Juolevi in the mix, more growing pains of watching them make mistakes for a few years.

Madcombinepilot wrote:now, responding your feeble attempt to get away from said pointed out flip floopiness and Knee Jerking, if you really are sold out on getting younger, then understand that the team will not be competing for a cup for a couple years.
Quit trying to sound like topper et al it's embarrassing.

Of course I understand that we won't be competing for a Cup for another 2-4 years.

But like I explained earlier for team success lets have some vets mixed with youth, what's wrong with that? You seen the Oilers destroy a lot of their young guys 1st overall picks confidence by having a lot of shitty players surround them.

Madcombinepilot wrote:Trade Edler now (if he is willing) and get what you can for him. Look at Edlers decline over the last couple years.

Seriously, what will he be worth in 2-3 years?? --ZIP. Selling him now is getting as much as you will ever get. 2-3 years from now, Tanev will still be a good RH shut down guy.. at that point, you can trade Tanev for whatever this team needs at that particular moment (be it a center, winger, whatever) as every team is ALWAYS looking for solid, dependable RH defencemen. lots of people need to get over the hard ons for Edler and start looking to the future.
Edler has a iron clad NTC, yes it can be waived simply by asking, but I dont' think he's ready to move anytime soon, with all his ties to Vancouver and he can log big minutes and play in any situaion, imo you keep him till Juolevi is ready, which won't be till Edler's contract runs out.
Now perhaps after the Sedins retire you can move Edler, but thanks to his NTC the trade list will be limited to a couple teams.

Now Tanev can be traded anywhere, much easier to move and has much more value, you deal him now before he has more injury woes, plus thanks to Tryamkin and Gudbranson on Tanev's right side it makes it easier to move the Tanman.

Madcombinepilot wrote:oh, one last thing, old dogs like Campbell are not going to 'teach a guy to QB the PP'... that's what coaches and video does for players that already have the skill set..
I don't know if you noticed it but our coaches haven't taught em well enough ya know with the team missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 years? and damn near last in the league in every category imaginable.

Campbell has reached over 40 points 5x and two of those over 50 points and 60 points, he knows what it takes to lead a rush, QB a team and score in the NHL.

You seen the effect Burrows and other vets had on the youth, their teachings and experience are invaluable on the ice/bench/locker room, the Canucks haven't had any QB's since Ehrhoff left now we got a young Hutton and Stecher to do just that, but imo it would be nice to have the old man Campbell to help them be more effective to reach that next level in the QB stratosphere. Plus hey why not have him for the Sedins final year? Give the Sedins one veteran QB to work with before they ride off into the Sweden sunset. + campbell won't even cost much and he has had chemistry with Gudbranson and it'll only be for one year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Whoever is coaching next year will have a huge impact on how the defense looks.
Overly simplistic statement, I know.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:lol who pissed in your cornflakes, oh right your name starts with MAD.

Nobody pissed in anyone's cornflakes SKYO. Your roster moves are often well outside the realm of reality.....this particular maneuver makes absolutely zero sense.

We don't need to add a new veteran name to the blueline right now, unless the addition of a new name replaces the name Edler. Otherwise just stay the course and improve the blueline from within.

Any halfway decent salary expenditure during free agency should be given to a top-6 forward.
*As for Tanev - What is the team's biggest weakness? yup - scoring goals.

Tanev doesn't help with that, the play usually dies on his stick and he's always injured.

The time to sell is now for him, well this offseason/draft whenever.

OMG! Please tell me you are trying to bait me a bit here.....

Otherwise you're just ignorant. The play forever dies on Edler's stick, either through a bobbled pass or a blocked shot. Tanev doesn't think about scoring or shooting, he just transitions the puck, he doesn't create or finish much, but he's hardly the dead-weight that Edler is. If we can sell high on Tanev, great, do it.....but sell Edler first.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Your above and beyond hatred for Edler clouds your judgement.

Trading Tanev while we have Tryamkin and Gudbranson now makes a lot of sense.

Especially considering Edler probably only waives to like one team, while Tanev can be dealt to 30 teams.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:Your above and beyond hatred for Edler clouds your judgement.

Trading Tanev while we have Tryamkin and Gudbranson now makes a lot of sense.

Especially considering Edler probably only waives to like one team, while Tanev can be dealt to 30 teams.
Did you miss the part where I said trade high on Tanev if possible?

Edler would expand his options if things went like.....

Elmer: Hey Alex, would you consider waiving to accept a trade to any of the following teams (presents list)?

Edler: Yeah, not really, you see Jim, I like it here, my wife's family is here, I just don't see her wanting to move, and I have a really good paycheque that I'm guaranteed, so I think I'll just stay here unless you can move me to [that one team that probably has an amazing Cup chance].

Elmer: You sure? Nothing I can do to convince you otherwise?

Edler: Nope. Sorry.

Elmer: Ok, well then I'm sorry to have to tell you that the NHL has stated that we only have to protect NMC's for this here upcoming expansion draft, and according to what we've been told, Hank and Dank and Loui are the only guys that we absolutely have to protect. So I'm just gonna go ahead and call up McPhee and see if he will pay me a draft pick to leave you available. Have fun in Vegas bud.

Edler: :eh:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

LOL fuck man you're hilarious I'll give ya that for your persistence!

If a team had Edler as their top 3 dmen to protect and not lose anyone of importance on their defense, you damn well keep him.

Look I know you hate Eddie with a passion, but ya gotta let this one go, he's staying put, look to deal him after the Sedins move on and you'll get a better reception from Edler's camp then.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I hoping we don't lose Pedan. I'd like to see him be our 7th D-man next year. Add him to our likes of Tryamkinsaurous, Guds, Edler and if we keep Sbisa, we have got some serious size on our D. Having 2 Russians bears patrolling our blueline be sweet (D pairing Pedan-Tryamkinsaurous). :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Guds, Hutz, Tramz,Sbiz ......

Really Skyo ? Surprised you didn't throw a Nooby Hopkins in there.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”