The Defence

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Defence

Post by Strangelove »

Southern_Canuck wrote: As for adding a veteran with a mean streak, I would add decent skater to that characteristic list... maybe Pedan will surprise and make the big club next season.
Not out of the realm of possibility... I keep hearing he's having a great season.

And yup, MAJOR asshole. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: In a year or two be interesting to see Russians Pedan + Tryamkin form a pairing.
I'd be in heaven if both of those assholes made it to the NHL. :blush:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I would prefer they keep (Biega) over Weber.
Weber has impressed me a lot with how he's managed to step up into a top pairing role with all the injuries.

Biega has looked good in that time frame but in a sheltered third pairing role.

Weber is 5 months younger than Biega... and has played 219 NHL games to Biega's 7.

Weber is a much better defenceman than Biega.

Having said that, we need Biega on the Comets with all the rookie dee coming in.

And he'd make a great emergency callup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote:Re: assholishness. Douglas Murray spent this season in Germany, but has already returned to North America with the pronounced goal of returning to the NHL. Not the best blue liner there is, but extensive NHL and international experience and a mean streak a mile wide. Could he be of interest?
I've always liked Murray... I think we've had this conversation before amirite Per?

BUT... omg he was bad in Montreal last season.

Yeah, he's always been slow, but that was ridiculous .

I can't remember was it injuries?
Not any major ones that I can recall, but yes, he has always been slow, and aging hasn't made him faster. He was not offered a contract by any SHL team this season, but speed is even more important for a blueliner on the wider ice surface we have here, and "physical play" is less tolerated, so his style is a very poor fit for SHL hockey.

Shrug. Guess he probably won't get to play in any major league again, but guess his name recognition may help him land contracts in the lesser European leagues. Too bad.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote:Re: assholishness. Douglas Murray spent this season in Germany, but has already returned to North America with the pronounced goal of returning to the NHL. Not the best blue liner there is, but extensive NHL and international experience and a mean streak a mile wide. Could he be of interest?
The Canucks will have a cap issue if they qualify all of their RFAs, and a cheap bridge vet to hold them over until some of the actual prospects from the Farm are ready for bigger roles (I don't consider Stanton or Biega a prospect, Clendening and Corrado still haven't hit their ceiling).

Murray could probably be the cheapest Dman on the team, as well as the biggest and meanest (and slowest, but Bieksa might have something to say about that). That's a pretty valuable combo, and worth a shot IMO.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks in it's entire history with zero Cups have never had a #1 dman, and EVERYONE knows that is wtf you need to get a Cup....so with that in mind like last year when I was gung-ho in trying to get the team to move up to draft Ekblad (whose tearing it up right now at 18 years of age), I'm at it again..

Trade Lack for a 1st, YES someone will pay that especially with his great performances vs Cup contending teams..

combine that 1st with our 1st to move up to at least #10 and try to draft Oliver Kylington, a Tanev like skillset with smart scoring plays, a future Lidstrom light...3x better than Edler.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Seems Calgary are taking a shot at fanning the flames of Murray's career:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... yout-basis
:shock:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

From a Swedish article:

After spending the fall at home in Stockholm, where Murray practiced with Djurgården's juniors, he launched his comeback in the German league with Cologne after the new year.
But his goal the whole time has bern to return to North America and the NHL, and when Calgary suffered an injury to their captain and star blueliner Mark Giordano Douglas found the opening he's been looking for.
He landed in Canada Thursday evening, had his first practice with the Flames in Calgary yesterday, and after their home ice victory against Toronto, he flew with the team to Colorado, where they face the Avalanche on Saturday night.
"Calgary hasn't promised me a contract, but I have a good feeling about this. They wouldn't have brought me over if they weren't prepared to give me a fair shot."
Dougie is known as a big, heavy, tough D-man from his years in San Jose, Pittsburgh and Montreal, but to earn a spot as a 35-yo in the NHL today he has had to reinvent homself.
"My strength is still the physical play, but the game has changed over the past few years and I realize I have to adapt. D-men today are skilled skaters and contribute on the offense. So I'm a dying breed, so to say."
You've lost a lot of weight?
"Yes, I've lost some six-seven kg (13.2-15.4 lb for those into medieval measurements) and it feels good. I may have been too set in my eays earlier, but the game has changed. I know what the teams are looking for today. The trend in hockey is for more speed."
Your goal is to show to Calgary as well as other teams that you can still cut it in the NHL?
"Exactly. I feel that I still have many years left in me."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:Trade Lack for a 1st, YES someone will pay that especially with his great performances vs Cup contending teams..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:Trade Lack for a 1st, YES someone will pay that especially with his great performances vs Cup contending teams..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was hoping it would all end after the Trade Deadline. :(

Hey Skyo, post it in the Trades & Rumours Forum!

We promise we'll read it buddy! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ha^

OK lets re-sign Weber now, good #6 dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya, I'm all for trading Sbisa.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, I'm all for trading Sbisa.
I'd trade BXA too. Sbisa hits hard, but is a turnover machine. BXA is just past his best before date, and is starting to smell. He's lost a bit of foot speed, but would be a solid guy for a rebuilding team for a few years.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Stanton
Weber- Clendening

Corrado/Biega
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The more defencemen Benning can retain the better. They've needed every one of them, and none have been hugely disappointing.
Sbisa is the only one I would try and upgrade and I doubt that happens because he seems to be favorable to Willie even though he's not with a lot of the fans.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dangler wrote:The more defencemen Benning can retain the better. They've needed every one of them, and none have been hugely disappointing.
Sbisa is the only one I would try and upgrade and I doubt that happens because he seems to be favorable to Willie even though he's not with a lot of the fans.
If Sbiza was half the price he might make some sense. Having to qualify a bottom-pairing guy at $2.9M is too much. I'd rather keep all of Weber, Clendenning and Stanton, and that's probably what our options are when it comes to cap. Can probably get all of them for around $3M.

I'd also be keeping Bieksa. The guy bleeds Canucks colours and none of those d-men are ready to step into his role. Don't see much sense in trying to force him to waive for what would likely be a small return. (his 15/16 salary is also only $2.5M... savings for a Canucks team with attendance issues ;) )