Canucks add Sven Baertschi from the Flames for 2nd rounder

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks add Sven Baertschi from the Flames for 2nd round

Post by Rayxor »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I was thinking more of a Tomas Plekanec type, seems to have patience in tight....or is it just against the quality of the opposition last night :wow:
It was a game of little importance, much like a preseason game. That's great that he made the best of the opportunity. But, will we be talking about him a week from now?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

lets not get carried away with Sven's 2 goal performance in a meaningless last game of the season against the 3rd worst team in the league, a game that was sloppy, filled with cheating forwards and defensive miscues.

Sven will struggle against tough opponents in games that matter, where the checking is tight and the only way to succeed is to play well in the dirty areas. Sven is in that Raymond/Grabbner category.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:lets not get carried away with Sven's 2 goal performance in a meaningless last game of the season against the 3rd worst team in the league, a game that was sloppy, filled with cheating forwards and defensive miscues.

Sven will struggle against tough opponents in games that matter, where the checking is tight and the only way to succeed is to play well in the dirty areas. Sven is in that Raymond/Grabbner category.
Waitaminute I thought you loved ol Magic 40??

Did you change your mind again?

Didn't we trade him for Ballard whom you also hated ?

Forgive me my memory is a bit fuzzy but I'm sure that was you or maybe it was biker dude ...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He's being sent back:

MEDIA RELEASE: Canucks have reassigned Sven Baertschi to the Utica Comets.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

herb wrote:Putting on rose colored glasses, SB is young and has put up Chris Higgins type numbers (.4-.5PPG) in 66 NHL games.

On the flip side, SB has basically put up middle six NHL numbers while providing none of the other intangibles you look for in valuable depth players like Higgins and Hansen (penalty killing, strong two-way play, physicality, etc). His shot rate is low for a guy touted as a high end offensive prospect (1.2 shots per game...meh). His AHL numbers are not mind blowing or anything.

Looks like the Linden Vey trade all over again. I don't really like this move. I would have preferred we take our chances in the draft.
I disagree; he has displayed high end talent. Players with high end talent will sulk at times, if not treated properly. The Flames org. hung him out on his development', IMHO. I have a cousin whose career was trashed by them as well. I will not name names. S.B. is a very exciting pick up for us!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote:lets not get carried away with Sven's 2 goal performance in a meaningless last game of the season against the 3rd worst team in the league, a game that was sloppy, filled with cheating forwards and defensive miscues.

Yup,glad to see the Canucks didn't put too much stock into last nights game and sent him back to Utica.
He could be a very valuable depth player in the playoffs though
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Agreed. He will help Utica. This also means we got some healthy guys back and Sven is better served playing important minutes in Utica rather then sitting in the press box.

Now that the season is over we have unlimited call ups but with Utica poised to go deep we won't just call them up to sit.

I liked his game last night but I gotta agree he can't be judged based upon the opposition.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:

Forgive me my memory is a bit fuzzy but I'm sure that was you or maybe it was biker dude ...

Remove the tampon, you're whiney belly aching is painful
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

So I do remember correctly!

Well Splain yourself Lucy ...

Why did you do a reversal on magic 40?

Were you trolling then or are you trolling now?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

with Sven sent down, who is coming back... Kassian or Richardson??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Saying that a player isn't suited to play a grinding game is not the same thing as saying that a player isn't good at defensive hockey. Datsyuk is the best example of a skilled, quick, non-physical, but very defensive minded forward. With Baertschi's game, he needs to work hard on the backcheck and use his quickness to gain position while in his own end. On offense, he needs to not be afraid to go to physical areas. None of this means he should change his game to become more Ronnie Kenins than Radim Vrbata.

Calgary plays a north/south, low risk style of game. Vancouver plays a offensive possession, defense given green light to pinch, east/west passing style of game. It's every bit as important to be a good two way player in Vancouver's system as it is in Calgary's, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Baertschi's skillset is a better fit here. I don't see how he's saying anything other than that.

He's good depth for this year's playoffs, and will help if we have injuries to our more offensively minded forwards. In the future, he's exactly the type of guy we need to compliment strong 2-way pieces like Bo, Cassels, and McCann. Personally, I haven't seen anything to dislike. We all want every player to excel in every aspect of the game, but that's delusional. Sven is not going to be a physical player. That's fine. He doesn't have to be.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

So I do remember correctly!

Well Splain yourself Lucy ...

Why did you do a reversal on magic 40?

Were you trolling then or are you trolling now?
Belly acher ^^^^