The Turtle-Derby Tankapalooza

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

The Turtle-Derby Tankapalooza

Post by ClamRussel »

So as of Thursday with Buffalo beating our vacationing hockey club, that moves the Coyotes & Oilers to within striking distance of McJesus/Eichel ...I can't decide who I want to get Connor less, Edmonton (they've had WAY too many 1st overall picks) or Buffalo (they were crying about any changes to the lottery last summer & we're already planning their tank strategy then). I don't really want to see the Coyotes get him either as they shouldn't even have a team there. Watch him get airlifted in there like Crosby to Pittsburgh.

So here we go, after 62 gp

1 - Buffalo 43 pts.
2 - Edmonton 46 pts.
3 - Arizona 47 pts.

Word is the Yotes are ramping it up and vets are going to start flying out the window. Who else might trade for injured players?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Turtle-Derby Tankapalooza

Post by vic »

Great Article on SN yesterday about this...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl- ... avid-land/

Quick intro:
So let’s contemplate for whose benefit NHL commissioner Gary Bettman would rig the NHL draft lottery?

Or put another way – where does Gary want McDavid?

There is precedent for this kind of stuff. One of the funnest and most persistent conspiracy theories in sports is that Bettman’s mentor — then-NBA commissioner David Stern — maneuvered to have the New York Knicks draft Patrick Ewing in 1985. It was the first year the league implemented a lottery and having Ewing – projected then to be the best centre to come along since Kareem Abdul Jabbar – in the league’s biggest market was too good an opportunity to pass up.

And when NBA commissioner David Stern reached into a barrel and pulled out an envelope with the New York Knicks logo inside so was born the myth (?) the Knicks’ envelope was chilled in advance so Stern knew which one to choose.

Which brings us to McDavid, the Erie Otters phenom and the first player since Sidney Crosby to be universally believed to be a franchise changing, generational talent.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I would lmao if Sabres lose lottery again..

With Toronto tanking they could easily 'move up' into the bottom 3 with 21ish games left in season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote:I would lmao if Sabres lose lottery again..
What if Toronto wins?

Buffalo drafts 2nd

Toronto takes McDavid
Buffalo take Eichel

Rivalry reborn.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Has McDavid's stock risen so much that this is no longer a 2-man race?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Puck wrote:Has McDavid's stock risen so much that this is no longer a 2-man race?
Stats thru first 37 games of draft eligible season
Crosby (04-05) 29 G, 53 A, 82 PTS
McDavid (14-15) 36 G, 62 A, 98 PTS
From the article I posted above

Eichel through 30 games has 16 G, 45 A, 50 PTS

Considering McDavid has smashed Sid's record (IIRC he's also broken more of Sid's records), it's pretty much a given.

This could also come down to nationality - depending on who gets the 1st overall - A US team may be inclined to go with the American and draft Eichel, whereas a Canadian team might want to draft the home grown kid (if it is still a 2-man race)

If it were Vancouver, and the two of them were equal, who do you take? The Canadian or the American?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

With AZ in tank mode, betcha Doaner wished he signed with the Canucks now.... http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... situation/
This isn’t how Shane Doan saw things playing out.

When Arizona’s captain re-signed with the Coyotes in 2012, rebuffing numerous suitors to commit to the financially-troubled franchise through 2015-16, he said he was “very excited about our team” and that he “chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here,” not anywhere else.

Well, fast forward two and a half years and the Coyotes are on their way to missing the playoffs for the third straight season, and they just traded away key veterans Keith Yandle and Antoine Vermette.
He'd be in high demand next trade deadline though, perfect guy for a playoff run, like Ray Bourque with the Avs, last kick at the can for a Cup.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Earlier in the day they rid themselves of Michal Neuvirth who was clearly playing too well to work with Buffalo’s grand scheme. Also, to get a second rounder for Stewart, who is quite inconsistent is pretty decent.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... R2dGlkAw--

Pretty funny for the Sabres, they going all out in the turtle derby. Probably reason why they not playing CoHo, they don't want any1 to score for them. :lol:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:With AZ in tank mode, betcha Doaner wished he signed with the Canucks now.... http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... situation/
This isn’t how Shane Doan saw things playing out.

When Arizona’s captain re-signed with the Coyotes in 2012, rebuffing numerous suitors to commit to the financially-troubled franchise through 2015-16, he said he was “very excited about our team” and that he “chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here,” not anywhere else.

Well, fast forward two and a half years and the Coyotes are on their way to missing the playoffs for the third straight season, and they just traded away key veterans Keith Yandle and Antoine Vermette.
He'd be in high demand next trade deadline though, perfect guy for a playoff run, like Ray Bourque with the Avs, last kick at the can for a Cup.
He got what he asked for, tee times in April. :mrgreen:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Earlier in the day they rid themselves of Michal Neuvirth who was clearly playing too well to work with Buffalo’s grand scheme. Also, to get a second rounder for Stewart, who is quite inconsistent is pretty decent.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... R2dGlkAw--

Pretty funny for the Sabres, they going all out in the turtle derby. Probably reason why they not playing CoHo, they don't want any1 to score for them. :lol:
It's a disgrace not seen since Lemieux's draft year. They're in good company w/ Edm & the Yotes.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Simple solution. Full draft lottery for 30 teams, each have an equal chance at the number one. No more rewards for sucking ass.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hockey Widow wrote:Simple solution. Full draft lottery for 30 teams, each have an equal chance at the number one. No more rewards for sucking ass.
This is so simple that it is too hard to understand for the NHL crew. :lol:

Would love if the format's changed right now already for this years' draft.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:With AZ in tank mode, betcha Doaner wished he signed with the Canucks now.... http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... situation/
As when the noise of Doan to Vancouver was ringing in the halls, I'm am very happy we didn't sign that old man to a four year deal and have yet another veteran contract stuffing the cap.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:
As when the noise of Doan to Vancouver was ringing in the halls, I'm am very happy we didn't sign that old man to a four year deal and have yet another veteran contract stuffing the cap.
We got the biter signed to a four year deal instead . I'm not sure which is worse .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:Simple solution. Full draft lottery for 30 teams, each have an equal chance at the number one. No more rewards for sucking ass.
They'll just rig it.

And come on Wids, as if you've never gotten a reward for sucking ass. ;)
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society