2015 Trade Deadline all in one thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

2015 Trade Deadline all in one thread

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thought it might be good to start one thread for all the TDD deals, and those leading up to it. Re-cap today's two big deals.

Panthers get help for a playoff push buy acquiring Jäger from the Devils for a 2015 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd in 2016, either their's or the one they acquired from The Wild. Good move for the panthers to help their PP, provide a little more scoring and some experience. The money they could make by simply making the playoffs, as well as the fan support, off sets and negatives. They can afford to give up a few picks to gamble on making the playoffs. Not near enough to make them a serious contender. Good move for the Devils, two picks for a guy that was done there.

Clarkson from the leaves to Columbus for Horton. A good move for Columbus as they have salary issues. They get a body to play for the 5 plus salary. While perhaps not ideal it at least gives them a serviceable third liner rather that no one. For the leaves this is an outstanding move. They have the money to burn and rid themselves of an albatross of a contract. If the leaves want to do a serious re-build they don't have to put Horton on LTIR and easily make the cap floor. If they need the cap room they have the Pronger option.

As a side note, pundits talking about Nonis being GM of the year for his housekeeping moves. They conviently forget he was largely responsible for builiding the team in the first place. Under BB, as he did in Vancouver, he handled the contract negotiations.

Feel free to update the previous trades this past week or so. Just thought it would be easier to keep them all in one place.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2015 Trade Deadline all in one thread

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Ambitious play by Tallon. Makes sense though, they're in the thick of it, and a huge name like Jagr is sure to put a few more butts in the seats. Like HW said, if they make the playoffs that's a few more $$ and momentum for the future. Jagr might be a shell of his former self, but it could be hard to under-estimate how much he could teach the youngsters on that team over the next couple months. It's been noted how much Luongo has helped that room. This only adds to that. Definitely a good rental pickup, especially if he gets them into the playoffs. The Panthers have enough depth in that system, they can afford to give up those picks.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think Kekelainen's pretty solid GM, but signing Nathan Horton to an uninsured contract... that's an ugly mistake.

Winner of the trade deadline so far goes to whatever Maple leaves AGM is currently elbow-deep in Dave Nonis.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I'd say the biggest deal so far has been the Sekera trade to Carolina for a conditional 1st and Roland Mckeown
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The way this TDD is shaping up I almost feel sorry for TSN. After Rogers signed the big contract with the NHL, all TSN had left was draft day coverage and the trade deadline and a few of their better "insiders". We're still 4 days out, and most of the big names that have been rumored to move are already gone. So all their "insider" info and rumor mongering is going to be replaced with redundant analysis of shit that is days old already.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm hoping Benning makes like Gillis and goes shopping for some real game changers like Gillis selling picks and prospects for the likes of Roy and Pahlsson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benjo wrote:I'd say the biggest deal so far has been the Sekera trade to Carolina for a conditional 1st and Roland Mckeown

Certainly a high price paid. They say for Chicago to get a fill in for Kane they will be raped, because of their situation. The Sekera deal smells like that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm hoping Benning makes like Gillis and goes shopping for some real game changers like Gillis selling picks and prospects for the likes of Roy and Pahlsson

Ya, sure you are! :mrgreen:

I hope he sells. At the prices thrown around so far he could pick up some picks.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm hoping Benning makes like Gillis and goes shopping for some real game changers like Gillis selling picks and prospects for the likes of Roy and Pahlsson
Are they biting today? No? Oh well, some other time. Just keep trying, right?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Random - what I appreciate about Benning is you don't get those GM games that Gilly did with his sneaky leaked trade rumours.

JB is a straight shooter, trades just happen out of no where iirc.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis should go down as the worst GM in Canucks history. When the core that he inherited went stale and it actually came to for him to stand on his own and prove himself he was found out pretty quickly. You can only fake it for so long, hence the Players Agent

Jim Benning is the real deal. Best hire in years, since Pat Quinn
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Gillis should go down as the worst GM in Canucks history. When the core that he inherited went stale and it actually came to for him to stand on his own and prove himself he was found out pretty quickly. You can only fake it for so long, hence the Players Agent

Jim Benning is the real deal. Best hire in years, since Pat Quinn
Cheeseburgular , Hairy Kneel and Jack Gordon are far worse Canuck GMs than Eye Bags . Jake Milford was about as crappy as Gillis and so was Brain Burke . Pat Quinn is the only GM better in the teams shitty history .

I am hopeful for Reverend Jim .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: For the leaves this is an outstanding move. They have the money to burn and rid themselves of an albatross of a contract. If the leaves want to do a serious re-build they don't have to put Horton on LTIR and easily make the cap floor. If they need the cap room they have the Pronger option.

As a side note, pundits talking about Nonis being GM of the year for his housekeeping moves. They conviently forget he was largely responsible for builiding the team in the first place.
Nonis (or Shanny?) is merely trying mitigate the Nonis disaster of signing Clarkson in the first place.

{{moved this over from the Leaves thread}}

The cost Nonis ends up paying for 118 crap games of Clarkson is $35.6M.

$27.6M (yet to be paid to Horton) +$8M (paid to Clarkson so far) (most of his pay this year was via signing bonus).

Yeahno, don't think the higher-ups are happy with Nonis' $35.6M blunder.

And hey, that LTIR space is not all sunshine & lollipops.

Ask the Flyers about some of the Pronger headaches.

Using that LTIR room will result in things like

- No Deadline deals to improve the team

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/1 ... s-not-good

- Any bonuses for young players (aren't they rebuilding?) will be tacked onto the following year.

- The Leaves will lose almost all of their 10% off-season cap-overage flexibility.

(makes it tougher to sign any UFAs + your RFAs)

Not sure why a rebuilding team wants "extra cap-space".

A desperate move by a desperate team.

I think things were so awkward with Clarkson in TO that they jumped on this Horton offer.

Garbage for garbage, the Leaves will continue to suck forever.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm not saying Nonis is a gawd, the hockey pundits on SN were saying it. Praising him because he was able to move Clarkson, like take that doubters he did have a tradeable contract. Like he is something special our man Dave. Next we will have leaves fans coming here bragging about what a great trade it is. Oh, wait, what.....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, I know it was the media not you.

And note the Leafers are lapping it up.

It would be nice if this means Nonis keeps his job :thumbs: :twisted: :thumbs:

... but NO WAY was this Nonis' call.

McKenzie says the BJs called TO with the offer.

No way is Nonis authorized to pull the trigger on $30M for a guy who will never play.

This decision was made by higher-ups IMESHO.

If Clarkson was run over by a truck yesterday (and barely survived)

... they have the same result: No Clarkson + $5.2M is "extra capspace"

EXCEPT... insurance would have paid Clarkson's salary.

No insurance on Horton.

Canucks could have CBOed Luongo for less REAL money....
____
Try to focus on someday.