2015 Trade Deadline all in one thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2015 Trade Deadline all in one thread

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning:

Worked hard today, talked to a lot of teams

Happy with team and their commitment

Did not shop any UFA

Did not part with any prospects

Calgary called him near end of TDD. Didn't want to give up any picks but think he is top six. Doesn't know what happened with his development in Calgary but very happy to have him and his skill set. What they were looking for, a young top six

Didn't shop Zachary, other teams called him but nothing made sense,

Sven is reporting to Utica to play for Green. Will be called up in case of I jury but gets a chance to play for Green again and hopefully go deep with Utica. Will be on the team next year for sure.

Papered Clendening, Biega, Kenins for Utica to keep them eligible for Utica. Kept Clendening, Biega, Kenins so they count as three of the four eligible call ups but they still have one call up plus emergency injury call ups if needed.

Not moving Higgins. A glue guy in the room and he will be staying. No one called asking for him anyway

Conacher a depth player for Utica. Good on PP. move made for Utica but he has a chance to make Canucks as a depth player
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Calgary confirms Sven asked for a trade. He will become RFA and Flames were told he would not re-sign with them so they felt they needed to move him.

Gio undergoing surgery for torn bicep, a complete tendon tear.Done for season. 4-5 months rehab
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So we basically got another Hunter Shinkaruk in Baerschi who is border line bust material. Yay reclamation projects!

Ewww
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:So we basically got another Hunter Shinkaruk in Baerschi who is border line bust material. Yay reclamation projects!

Ewww
Are you off your block buster? :drink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... d=12647433

Putting a human side to trade deals.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:So we basically got another Hunter Shinkaruk in Baerschi who is border line bust material. Yay reclamation projects!

Ewww
Ya I'm feeling that a bit myself. A second in a bumper year for prospects could turn out to be a good one. Swen better have more in the cupboard than he's shown or this will sting
If you need air...call it in
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm glad TDL day is over and we didn't trade our UFAs, especially Matthias. If we're going to make any kind of run in the playoffs, we're going to need those guys. Matthias is our 2nd leading goal scorer, that guy deserves some PP time, especially on the 2nd unit. He should play there ahead of Vey, Higgy and/or Hansen.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Nonis asked if he thinks any of the deals that didn't get done today could be revisited in the summer. He just stared. I thinking he was thinkng wtf, I won't be here so, no.
Hockey Widow wrote: However, no fire sale, want to get back to being competitive, when we're they last competitive1967??
FUN FACT: Dave Nonis was 11 months old the last time the Leaves won the Cup.

BONUS FUN FACT: Speaking of 11, Leaves have never won more than 11 playoff games in a season... EVER.

(think)
Hockey Widow wrote: He looks beaten up.
What.... like a complete and utter... FAILURE? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Ya I'm feeling that a bit myself. A second in a bumper year for prospects could turn out to be a good one. Swen better have more in the cupboard than he's shown or this will sting.
JB said something about dealing vets to recoup picks in the off-season.

I wouldn't worry about it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Jim Benning also said today that he gave Calgary the 2015 pick because he thinks next years draft is even better...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Ya I'm feeling that a bit myself. A second in a bumper year for prospects could turn out to be a good one. Swen better have more in the cupboard than he's shown or this will sting.
JB said something about dealing vets to recoup picks in the off-season.

I wouldn't worry about it.
You know how it is...we've watched countless Canucks GMs deal 2nd rounders and my initial reaction was here we go again.
Now SB has way more upside than what we usually gain from it so I guess it all depends what we see out of the Swis'ter...
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

TDA Rum wrote:Jim Benning also said today that he gave Calgary the 2015 pick because he thinks next years draft is even better...

Deeper being better prospects later in the draft, not necessarily the top 10-15. So ya, he wanted to hold onto the 2016 2nd.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:NHL discouraging a Voynov trade. LA needs him off the books in order to make a big splash but NHL very cold on the idea. LA has been critical of the NHL throughout the whole situation.
Is there a rule about trading a suspended player?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:
vic wrote: Heard on the radio this morning that they wanted Phaneuf, by TO wouldn't do the deal without Detroit including a first rounder.
I heard it was because Detroit wanted Toronto to retain 2 million and Toronto refused. Who knows.
Detroit would be an ideal landing spot for a guy like Phaneuf who needs to not be "the guy" in the room, but thinks he should be. I actually like this deal for Detroit quite a bit.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:NHL discouraging a Voynov trade. LA needs him off the books in order to make a big splash but NHL very cold on the idea. LA has been critical of the NHL throughout the whole situation.
Is there a rule about trading a suspended player?

I don't think so but the optics on this one started from the beginning when LA was pissed that they could not void his contract. They have publicly challenged the NHL and have been biter. I think the NHL was talkng about cap circumvention rules. So in other words if LA just unloaded him for a conditional pick or a second or something like that. If they traded him in a fair hockey trade the NHL would probably ok the deal but who would do that? Who would give up fair market value assets, or anything close, if they don't know the final outcome of his legal issues.

Same reasoning went into LA complaining about cap circumvention on the Horton deal. Double standard.