Trade Deadline 2015 - Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Trade Deadline 2015 - Canucks

Post by black ace »

You are the GM of the Canucks. Presumably you are looking to get younger and try and find guys who can be top 6 forwards in the next 2 years before Virtanen, McCann etc get a good look. Who are you shopping around ?

My list:
Lack (or Markstrom) - I dont think you get much for either (maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick) but there really isint a need for both. The pick doesnt help us in the next 2-3 years but perhaps it can be packaged for something like we did for Derek Dorsett (i really like that deal). Could go to a team looking to secure a reliable back up.

Kassian - Not sure we have seen the best of Kassian but also not sure he will ever figure it out. To get much i think we would need to trade him for something younger or pick up someone in the same age group with a contract he has yet to grow into. Could go to a team looking to move an underachiever or a small market team looking at ways to stay on budget. Not sure any contender is going to look at Kassian to bring much this year.

Higgins/Mattias/Richardson - Spare parts. I like Mattias and Richardson but they are relatively easy to find. Contending teams would likey be interested in them as depth 3rd 4th liners who can take regular shifts. Return would be limited. Either 2nd/3rd rounders or avg prospects.

Edler - Looks to have rebuilt his game this year to the point of having some value. Contending teams that need top 4 defenceman would likely be interested. Van would likely be looking for top 6 forwards in the 20-25 year range. Detroit has long been rumored.

If I was GM I would trade Edler, Higgins, Lack/Markstrom. Kassian would be the only question for me. If you cant get something you really like then you need to wait and hope he gets his game back the way Edler has.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
herb
CC Legend

Re: Trade Deadline 2015 - Canucks

Post by herb »

If Benning trades any young assets or 1st round picks for veterans I may stop watching.
JK55
AHL Prospect

Post by JK55 »

First post virginity!

My List:

Higgins - He is essentially deadweight at this point. They have said he has focused too much on his defensive game as of late that he tends to be a strange in the offensive zone. That's not what Higgins game is built around and I think this is more on him than it is the coaching staff. Trade him for a draft pick or young AHL body with potential.

Edler - His value is higher now than last season, however I have seen a massive drop (like everyone else) in his overall hockey IQ and positional understanding.

Lack - I think at best he is a 30-40 game goaltender. I like him because of his enthusiastic attitude but I find at times it effects his focus. The team doesn't trust him as much as a "starting" goaltender and thus I find they get deflated more. Trade him and you might fetch a good pick.

Extra Notes: I think Richardson is a perfect 4th line centre, but they need Bottom 6 guys with him. Not guys who still think they are top 6 scorers (i.e. Matthias, Kassian, Higgins)
Last edited by JK55 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Trading Edler - oh oh, heres comes Skyo to defend him and tell us all how stupid it would be to trade him.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zack isn't going anywhere. Benning exhausted that market and after now realizing the offers are shit, the showcasing is over and WD is free to scratch him at will, hoping that the tough love will work as it seemingly is the last resort and hope that he snaps out of it.

I see Lack or Markstrom going, maybe one of Jensen, Gaunce and Shinkaruk, dont think Benning is married to those 3 and one of our role player vets like Hansen, Higgins, Richardson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

The problem with trading Kassian is at the deadline teams are either looking to build for the playoffs or build for the future. If we are building for the future then we will likely be trading with teams looking to add. Not sure a team looking to build for a playoff run is going to look at Kassian as someone that can help. And I dont think we should be looking to add veteran help like a Santorrelli.

If we were looking to add veteran help then im sure Benning could deal Kassian but its not the direction we are going.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

SELL.

I would think that Hansen and Richardson would have the most value to a contending team. Maybe Higgins also. I like all these guys, but they are not going to be around when our young players hit their stride. Might as well get something for them now.

I hope they keep and re-sign Mathias and Dorsett; these guys are excellent bottom 6 players.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Unfortunately I think this team is trying to suck and blow at the same time right now - they don't want to be bad enough to get top tier talent in the draft, while they aren't good enough to be a contender. Moves designed for the future like trading Higgins, Matthias, Richardson, Weber, etc likely won't happen even though the team has an excess of depth a 3/4 line wing and 5/6 dman.

It's too bad really because you could speed up the rebuild by a year or two by cashing in on guys like that, and maybe other guys next deadline as well. We will see, but I just don't see Benning trading any depth at the moment unless it's for immediate help.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Nearing the dog days of the regular season, where injuries begin to mount. 14 games in 26 days :shock:
With injuries come call ups.
Kenins, Corrado already up, while Jensen, Grenier, Pedan, Andersson likely to get a look at some point too.

If one or more of the kids stick, Mgmt will likely move a vet to two that:
a) do not project in the long term plans, and
b) can bring back a favourable return.

Health and call-ups will likely dictate the deals that Mgmt ultimately commit to.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote:Trading Edler - oh oh, heres comes Skyo to defend him and tell us all how stupid it would be to trade him.
Not sure what's with the anti-Edler sentiment around here...

He is easily our best D-man. Easily. Last season after screamgate he shut out the Fonzi-rage and didn't give a fuck about the results....obviously.

I can't even begin to imagine how shitty of a defence we would have without him, let alone watching one or more of Spizza, Weber or Stanton in our top 4. Imagine that little gem of a scenario...

Of course if we are subscribing to a tear down and rebuild in order to weasel into a top pick this spring then possibly but you have to suck some major as to get into one of those chairs. A little too late now.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Trading Edler - oh oh, heres comes Skyo to defend him and tell us all how stupid it would be to trade him.

He is easily our best D-man. Easily. Last season after screamgate he shut out the Fonzi-rage and didn't give a fuck about the results....obviously.

I can't even begin to imagine how shitty of a defence we would have without him, let alone watching one or more of Spizza, Weber or Stanton in our top 4. Imagine that little gem of a scenario...

Of course if we are subscribing to a tear down and rebuild in order to weasel into a top pick this spring then possibly but you have to suck some major as to get into one of those chairs. A little too late now.
I blame medz, his propaganda is rubbing off on the sheep. :twisted:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Believe it or not, I'm actually in favor of keeping Edler at this point. If he's putting it together, and continues to be a solid pairing with Tanev, then at 28 years old he is an asset.....and in this market, a bargain at $5M. With the way he has been playing, I would venture to say that his point totals would probably be boosted by 10 points if our PP wasn't so damned predictable and the forwards so inept at creating chances at 5-on-5.

The only way I would trade him at this point is if the return was laughably lopsided in our favor. Something that involved Edler in a package going out in exchange for a shot at McEichel.

Would Buffalo or Edmonton consider their 1st in exchange for Edler + Higgins + Jensen + Shinkaruk + 1st + 2nd + future 2nd?

I doubt it. But if they would take that, and it landed us McDavid or Eichel, then that's a no-brainer.

Otherwise keep Edler.

At this point Higgins, Richardson, Sbisa, Lack, Markstrom, and maybe Matthias and Stanton.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:

I blame medz, his propaganda is rubbing off on the sheep. :twisted:
Eat a bag of dicks and see the post above this one SKYO. :evil:
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

I love these hypotheticals! Let the rosterbation begin!

We have too many goalies. Ideally I'd like to get rid of Miller and that isn't happening. Lack or Markstrom - 1 should go. Sure, deal either for a pick or package one up. Get some form of return. If we deal Lack then it'd be a good idea to sign Markstrom to an extension prior to dealing Eddie! If he doesn't sign then deal Markstrom.

Higgins. I think this forum is full of youth, ignorance and stupidity. All those who feel he is worthless really have no idea what they're talking about. He is still a very good bottom 6 player and that's what he should be here. He does all the little things right, good on D, PK, team guy and great playoff experience. An absolute asset to a contender. You won't get the world for him but maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Also could be put in a package.

I would also get a bit bold and deal Vrbata if we could get a very good return. Cup teams get desperate to find the final piece and Vrbata could be it. He has a decent contract and limited NTC. Let's move him for a young player.

I would also ask Hamhuis and Burrows to waive the NTCs. If we could get a surprisingly high return for either then deal them. This team does not have many top line prospects and Hamhuis could get us one.

I would also look at dealing Weber and Brad Richardson - picks or a package. It's a good draft year so why not.

So, deal Higg, Lack/Markstrom, Vrbata, Burr and Hammer. We're not making a Cup run this year or anytime soon so why keep them? So we can back into the playoffs and get eliminated in round 1? No thanks. I'd rather not make it than get swept in round 1 (which is pretty much a given with anything close to our current roster).

Go Canucks Go!
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Diehard1 wrote:Unfortunately I think this team is trying to suck and blow at the same time right now - they don't want to be bad enough to get top tier talent in the draft, while they aren't good enough to be a contender. Moves designed for the future like trading Higgins, Matthias, Richardson, Weber, etc likely won't happen even though the team has an excess of depth a 3/4 line wing and 5/6 dman.

It's too bad really because you could speed up the rebuild by a year or two by cashing in on guys like that, and maybe other guys next deadline as well. We will see, but I just don't see Benning trading any depth at the moment unless it's for immediate help.

Yeah, the Canucks have always been of two minds. It's a long history of going in two directions at once. That is why most of our seasons result in mediocre. There is no chance we get close to the Cup anytime soon so why hang on to the older players and watch their value sink day by day? We need to deal them for young assets and/or picks.