Richards, Michael - Waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Why would Buffalo do this without draft pick(s) coming back? They could just. Buy CoHo out if they wanted to. Buffalo is clearly in a rebuild and this move would do nothing for them.
Yeah, Buffalo will be "going young" and they'll have guys like McEichel, Reinhart, Ennis, Grigorenko up the middle. They might take a stab at Richards for a year or two, but FIVE?! Can't see them liking that term, not enough to part with a 31st or 32nd overall pick.
I could see a team like Nashville going for Richards. They want a long playoff run and he could help with that. Maybe even Montreal if the price was right. Obviously there were no takers.

Some GMs learn the hard way what the value of their players really is. Gillis with the Luongo fiasco, Nonis with Dianna, Kings with Richards. There is a time to cut bait and a time when you have waited too long. LA needs cap badly. To help them out a team is going to want something back, a pick, a prospect, something to make up for taking the cap hit and helping the Kings.
I think Lombardi definitely under-estimated how quickly Richards would decline. Apparently he showed up to camp in great shape this year, but it hasn't been enough. Too many miles on that body, I think. And LA likely knew the risks when they got him, that contract was long and expensive. Hey, they got 2 Cups with him so I don't think you'll see anyone complain.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just eat 20% of his salary in a trade. Someone would bite on him at $4.5M, even if it's only for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I don't understand why they wouldn't just eat 20% of his salary in a trade. Someone would bite on him at $4.5M, even if it's only for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Someone else here suggested that the plan is probably to waive him... just to see if they can unload him.

If he doesn't get picked up, the next step might be to retain salary in a trade

(or take back a different "boat anchor" contract in a trade).

Or perhaps they've worked out a trade of prospects/picks for someone like (say) Phaneuf.

But they won't have the space to pull the trigger unless someone takes Richards.

I'm a little worried the Leaves have finally figured out that trading Phaneuf is the smart way to go.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No Doc, the time to have unloaded Dianna was before his NTC kicked in. A team like Edmonton would have ponied up some good assets/picks. The leaves could have had a decent return, unloaded his contract and been free of the cap implications allowing them more flexibility last off season and now. If they unload Dianna now it is too little too late and becomes another blight on their record. It's actually perfect. In fact they could possibly end up retaining in a deal. That coupled with the lost assets they could have had rivals the fiasco of the Kessel deal. Perfect.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote: I'm a little worried the Leaves have finally figured out that trading Phaneuf is the smart way to go.
No Doc, the time to have unloaded Dianna was before his NTC kicked in.
Allow me to rephrase: I was hoping the Leaves were stupid enough to hang onto Phaneuf forever. ;)

Here's a thought, I believe bonuses are usually paid on July 1.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20140722 ... player/442

So Leaves pay him his $2M on July 1, trade him on July 2.

ACTUAL dollars then owed The Thing would be $39M over 6 years ($6.5M per year average).

With a $7M cap-hit of course.

Just a thought.

BTW Phabulous Phaneuf must submit a list of 12 teams to which he would accept a trade (modified NTC)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

This does seem like the type of contract/player that might interest Toronto.

They probably would entertain offers that included Richards + picks/prospects in exchange for Phaneuf.

Richards + 1st (2015) + ______
Phaneuf + 2nd (2015)

A team in the bottom 10 might be willing to trade down into the top 10 2nd round and let Toronto trade up.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

If the owners were really serious about capping salary (i.e. increasing their profits), I hope that the other owners/GMs take a pass on Richards, and let him rot. It might encourage other GMs to start signing shorter contracts in general, or signing the questionable guys at lower salaries that can be easily be buried with the $950,000 cap relief.

Regardless, keep him away from Vancouver.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

There's no way he gets picked up on waivers. The Kings know that. Any team that picks up that salary for a diminishing 4th liner is indicating they haven't a clue (okay, then I guess that means the Oilers might snag him, true enough). What I find interesting is that the Kings' much vaunted center depth is now, while still good, taking some hits. This was such a strength for them, where Mike Richards is your 4th line center. Now, he ain't worth it, and they've got themselves some cap conundrums. If Richards retires, doubtful if, it really fucks the Kings too on the cap recapture...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Lancer wrote:A team who may bite are the NY Islanders. They just seem like one of those teams who think they could use a guy lie Richards to get them over the hump. Not sure if they're still playing stingy with the budget but he might be a good fit.
I wonder if the Isles would insist on sending our good buddy Michael Grabner back in return.. when he's played it's been fourth line minutes this year, and if memory serves he's under contract for next year and owed $5m - but his $3m cap hit would be significantly better for the Kings.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

dbr wrote:
Lancer wrote:A team who may bite are the NY Islanders. They just seem like one of those teams who think they could use a guy lie Richards to get them over the hump. Not sure if they're still playing stingy with the budget but he might be a good fit.
I wonder if the Isles would insist on sending our good buddy Michael Grabner back in return.. when he's played it's been fourth line minutes this year, and if memory serves he's under contract for next year and owed $5m - but his $3m cap hit would be significantly better for the Kings.
I haven't followed him at all, but it looks like he's been injured. Pro-rated scoring pace has him at around 24 goals per year which ain't bad (granted, 12 games isn't a large sample size). That's not too bad considering he's jumped straight in at mid-season and managed more points in 12 games (6) than Kassian has in 24 (5), and double the amount of goals.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Not sure how the Kings, already in cap hell, are supposed to absorb Phaneuf's exorbitant salary. It's pretty much the only reason they're dumping Richards. Don't think they're looking to add to their cap.

Can you imagine paying Dion Phaneuf and Drew Doughty the same cap-hit? Yikes.

Alec Martinec and Jake Muzzin's extensions ($4M per) kick in next year, and the Voynov ($4.16M) situation is far from over. No, I can't see LA having too much interest in Dion, as they'd be paying their defence over $29M (if Voynov avoids extradition).

Even a bigger deal wouldn't work, as there really aren't any good contracts on the leaves. Short of Reilly (won't be traded), they are pretty much all overpaid.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Boston Canucker wrote:There's no way he gets picked up on waivers. The Kings know that. Any team that picks up that salary for a diminishing 4th liner is indicating they haven't a clue (okay, then I guess that means the Oilers might snag him, true enough). What I find interesting is that the Kings' much vaunted center depth is now, while still good, taking some hits. This was such a strength for them, where Mike Richards is your 4th line center. Now, he ain't worth it, and they've got themselves some cap conundrums. If Richards retires, doubtful if, it really fucks the Kings too on the cap recapture...
No way he retires. He'd be walking away from some HUGE coin.

Seems like he might just be the type of guy who is content to go play hockey at the AHL level where he can get by with less effort if he wants and still collect his NHL salary.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Maybe no major injuries, but he's not the biggest guy and he plays real tough minutes and he's had a series of "wear and tear" injuries like sports hernia, concussion, seperated shoulder, hamstring etc. etc.

Guys got some hard miles on him going to 3 Cup finals. I was a huge Richards fan but I don't think the motor can really turn like it used to for him. I'd definitely take him on the Canucks as a player, but that contract is just too much for what he's capable of these days, unfortunately.
Fair enough, and he was never the most fleet of foot to begin with.

Still funny to me though - from Team Canada in 2010 to the AHL in 2015. Funny how some guys age gracefully and others just fall off the planet.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Richards cleared waivers this morning.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well he cleared. The Kings now can assign him, keep him or buy him out.

Assigning him only saves $975,000 off the cap. Doesn't leave them a lot or room to make any deals as they have to keep room for Voynov, in case he is eligible for re-instatement, this season. Of course they could waive him too if and when he comes back.

They have a few people to re-sign this off season and Kopitar comes up like next season. Interesting times.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
herb wrote:It wasn't that long ago that Richards had a gold medal around his neck and was thought of as one of the next great stars of hockey.

Dude was a Selke trophy runner up, and now at age 29 (after no major injuries or other obvious reasons his level of play has fallen) is waived. Crazy.
Maybe no major injuries, but he's not the biggest guy and he plays real tough minutes and he's had a series of "wear and tear" injuries like sports hernia, concussion, seperated shoulder, hamstring etc. etc.

Guys got some hard miles on him going to 3 Cup finals. I was a huge Richards fan but I don't think the motor can really turn like it used to for him. I'd definitely take him on the Canucks as a player, but that contract is just too much for what he's capable of these days, unfortunately.
Aye, I can attest to this. It's not the injuries so much as playing style. I've always played physically but when I started to get injured more I did strength training but then you seem a step behind so your style has to change if you want to play longer.
Some guys can't or won't change their styles and basically play themselves right out of the game.
Play smart and you are fine. :)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)