Richards, Michael - Waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Post by SKYO »

Happy to see the NHL teams make a smart move by not taking on that crazy contract gmdl gave out to richards.

Now the Kings got some tough decisions to make, just some FirstWorldProbs for the recent Two-Time Cup champs. awww 8-)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

SKYO wrote:that crazy contract gmdl gave out to richards.
Richards signed that deal with the Flyers. Fortunately for the Kings, the NTC it originally included is not valid.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well he cleared. The Kings now can assign him, keep him or buy him out.

Assigning him only saves $975,000 off the cap. Doesn't leave them a lot or room to make any deals as they have to keep room for Voynov, in case he is eligible for re-instatement, this season. Of course they could waive him too if and when he comes back.

They have a few people to re-sign this off season and Kopitar comes up like next season. Interesting times.
Yeah you'd have to think they're looking at a trade while retaining some of his salary. Islanders, now that Okposo is out 8 weeks... might take a chance.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The rumour mill is pretty strong that the Kings had a few teams interested in Richards but only if they retained. Putting him on waivers was their last ditched attempt to get him off the books. So I agree IN, I think now that he has cleared they are going to have to accept that they will probably be on the hookk for 1.5 plus for the remaining length of his contract. It will roughly be what the buy out would cost them but for fewer years as a buy out would stretch for double the remaing years.

This contract is not on DL. He helped them win two cups so hard to call it a failure. The failure was in trusting he would come back this season and produce, he should have been gone in the summer.

I look to see him traded now for next to nothing with the Kings retaining around 1.5.this will clear up valuable cap space for the trade deadline, look for a rental or two, as next year they have key players to re-sign.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:
SKYO wrote:that crazy contract gmdl gave out to richards.
Richards signed that deal with the Flyers. Fortunately for the Kings, the NTC it originally included is not valid.
ohh they lucky! sorta, I'm guessing he gets dealt for a dman with Kings retaining about 30% of Richards salary.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The fall from grace for ex-stars like Brad Richards, Dany Heatly and Mike Richards is always skating or lack thereof. Mike Richards looks almost incapable of going from a walk to a run.

I wouldn't touch him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Not sure how the Kings, already in cap hell, are supposed to absorb Phaneuf's exorbitant salary. It's pretty much the only reason they're dumping Richards. Don't think they're looking to add to their cap.
Well the idea of Richards($5.75M) out, Dion($7M) in doesn't affect the cap much.

If the Kings included (say) depth dee McBain ($550K)

... combined with LTIR Pearson... that pretty much covers it.

I think they have a forward or 2 they could send down as well.

There are various other ways to close that $1.25M gap.

Other players involved in the deal, Leaves retaining, etc.

The argument was: If the Kings lose Richards' contract, could they take on Phaneuf's.

The answer is: Yes, it's doable.
Island Nucklehead wrote: Can you imagine paying Dion Phaneuf and Drew Doughty the same cap-hit? Yikes.
Who would complain?

Their Top 5 dee would be locked up for years (assuming Regehr + Voynov are gone, which would be the Plan).

Doughty $7, Phaneuf $7, Muzzin $4, Martinez $4, Greene $2.5 (+ another year of #6 McNabb @ $650K).
Island Nucklehead wrote: Alec Martinec and Jake Muzzin's extensions ($4M per) kick in next year, and the Voynov ($4.16M) situation is far from over. No, I can't see LA having too much interest in Dion, as they'd be paying their defence over $29M (if Voynov avoids extradition).
Innocent or guilty, the NHL likely punts Voynov.

If not, fine, in the off-season the Kings trade one of Muzzin/Martinez/Voynov... for a nice return.

BTW, I see a lot of folks saying the Kings are in "cap hell" moving forward, but I don't see it.

They will let Regehr, Stoll, and Williams walk as UFAs = $10M total.

Pearson + Toffoli won't get more than $2M each on bridge deals, Clifford won't get much of a raise....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Well the idea of Richards($5.75M) out, Dion($7M) in doesn't affect the cap much.

If the Kings included (say) depth dee McBain ($550K)

... combined with LTIR Pearson... that pretty much covers it.

I think they have a forward or 2 they could send down as well.

There are various other ways to close that $1.25M gap.

Other players involved in the deal, Leaves retaining, etc.

The argument was: If the Kings lose Richards' contract, could they take on Phaneuf's.

The answer is: Yes, it's doable.
For this season, sure. The big problem with both contracts is they are long-term, big money deals to players that aren't worth that amount of money.

How does that work when Kopitar is up after next season? Think he's signing for less than his current $6.8? He will be north of $8M. Williams is UFA this year. Toffoli and Pearson are RFA this year. I really don't see how Phaneuf at $7M is that much of an upgrade on Jake Muzzin at $4M. Same points, Muzzin plays more, scores more, and probably isn't nearly the same level of douche. :lol:
BTW, I see a lot of folks saying the Kings are in "cap hell" moving forward, but I don't see it.

Pearson + Toffoli won't get more than $2M each on bridge deals, Clifford won't get much of a raise....
You still need to replace those guys even if you don't sign them.

As it stands right now (with Voynov, and assuming they don't keep any money on Richards) they have around $54.44 tied up next year in 13 players. If you go by the NHL's projections, they're working around a $73M cap. $18.56M to sign 10 guys. So yeah, you could add Phaneuf in there, now you have 11.56M to sign 9 guys. Do you think you'll be able to get Pearson, Toffoli, Nolan, Clifford, Jones and a couple UFA guys for around $1.2M each? I don't.

Even if you subtract Voynov (far from certain at this point) you have $22.7M to sign 14 players (a $1.62M average). Bringing in Phaneuf would seriously cripple LA's ability to maintain the depth they've used to be so successful.

So yeah, they might not be in "cap hell" (if they're not, they're walking the tight-rope), but they don't really have the luxury of adding another big-time contract at this stage.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: How does that work when Kopitar is up after next season? Think he's signing for less than his current $6.8? He will be north of $8M.
Our conversation has nothing to do with the 2016-17 season or re-signing Kopitar.

The re-signing Kopitar will not be a problem (as you will see) but what say we let's stick to the conversation at hand

(this season and next).
Island Nucklehead wrote: Williams is UFA this year. Toffoli and Pearson are RFA this year. I really don't see how Phaneuf at $7M is that much of an upgrade on Jake Muzzin at $4M. Same points, Muzzin plays more, scores more, and probably isn't nearly the same level of douche. :lol:
Like I said, Williams will be let go... and Toffoli/Pearson will get $2M per each on bridge contracts.

Muzzin is great, but why are you comparing him to Phaneuf?

With Voynov out, every LA fan worth his salt will tell you the Kings need another Top 4 dee.

They are really missing Mitchell + Voynov.

Regehr is dropping like a stone, he and Greene can hold down the 3rd pairing for this year though.

Doughty, Phaneuf, Muzzin, and Martinez = Top 4 in this scenario.

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote: BTW, I see a lot of folks saying the Kings are in "cap hell" moving forward, but I don't see it.

You still need to replace those guys even if you don't sign them.
Regehr, Stoll, and Williams are pretty much done (maybe one good playoff push left in 'em?)

They are not worth the $10M moving forward.
Island Nucklehead wrote: As it stands right now (with Voynov, and assuming they don't keep any money on Richards) they have around $54.44 tied up next year in 13 players. If you go by the NHL's projections, they're working around a $73M cap. $18.56M to sign 10 guys. So yeah, you could add Phaneuf in there, now you have 11.56M to sign 9 guys.
This logic is flawed because they because they won't run with 5 Top 4 dee

(Doughty, Voynov Phaneuf, Muzzin, and Martinez).
Island Nucklehead wrote: Do you think you'll be able to get Pearson, Toffoli, Nolan, Clifford, Jones and a couple UFA guys for around $1.2M each? I don't.
*sigh*

Kopitar, Anze $6.8M
Brown, Dustin $5.8M
Carter, Jeff $5.2M
Gaborik, Marian $4.9M
King, Dwight $2M
Pearson, Tanner $2M
Toffoli, Tyler $2M
Lewis, Trevor $1.5M
Clifford, Kyle $1.5M
Shore, Nick $1.2M
Nolan, Jordan $800K
Andreoff, Andy $600K
Van Der Gulik, David $600K

Doughty, Drew $7M
Phaneuf, Dianne $7M
Muzzin, Jake $4M
Martinez, Alec $4M
Greene, Matt $2.5M
McNabb, Brayden $650K
McBain, Jamie $600K

Quick, Jonathan $5.8M
Jones, Martin $600K

Total $67M

.... did you say a $73M cap? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: *sigh*

Kopitar, Anze $6.8M
Brown, Dustin $5.8M
Carter, Jeff $5.2M
Gaborik, Marian $4.9M
King, Dwight $2M
Pearson, Tanner $2M
Toffoli, Tyler $2M
Lewis, Trevor $1.5M
Clifford, Kyle $1.5M
Shore, Nick $1.2M
Nolan, Jordan $800K
Andreoff, Andy $600K
Van Der Gulik, David $600K

Doughty, Drew $7M
Phaneuf, Dianne $7M
Muzzin, Jake $4M
Martinez, Alec $4M
Greene, Matt $2.5M
McNabb, Brayden $650K
McBain, Jamie $600K

Quick, Jonathan $5.8M
Jones, Martin $600K

Total $67M

.... did you say a $73M cap? :mex:
Really wanting to get into the weeds eh? Toffoli will cost more than $2M. 54-point pace, likely closer to $3.5M. He'll be looking for Kadri ($2.9M) money. Pearson will likely be over $2M as well. Martin Jones is getting a 50K raise? Why is Jordan Nolan, an RFA, taking a pay cut? Does he not warrant a qualifying offer (770K)? Teams also generally carry 23 men on their roster.

The bottom line is that any team could take Phaneuf if they moved pieces around. The reality is the Kings DO, RIGHT NOW, have short, medium, and long-term cap concerns that they'd likely have to figure out before adding that contract.

There's also the small fact that Sutter was the guy that shipped Phaneuf OUT of Calgary for a bunch of spare parts.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Really wanting to get into the weeds eh? Toffoli will cost more than $2M. 54-point pace, likely closer to $3.5M. He'll be looking for Kadri ($2.9M) money. Pearson will likely be over $2M as well.
Kadri got $2.9M on a bridge deal because he scored at a 31-goal, 75 point pace in the shortened season.
Island Nucklehead wrote: Martin Jones is getting a 50K raise?
Nickle + dime much?

FFS my numbers come in at $6M under your supposed salary cap.

All I did was copy & paste the names + known numbers... and roughed-out the others

(I did this all within 10 minutes).

Fine though, let's give ole 30-NHL-games minimum-wager Jonesy a $500K raise, happy?

The point remains the same.
Island Nucklehead wrote: Why is Jordan Nolan, an RFA, taking a pay cut? Does he not warrant a qualifying offer (770K)?
Ummm I have Nolan down for $800K buds (he's pulling in $700K this season).
Island Nucklehead wrote: Teams also generally carry 23 men on their roster.
Fine, add a 14th forward or 8th dee at near-minimum wages (LA has a few of these).

Hell, tell ya what, let's give him ONE MILLION DOLLARS (in best Dr Evil voice).

Yeah, and I'll be super-generous and give Pearson, Toffoli, and Jones an extra $500K each.

The Kings still come in at $3.5M under your salary cap estimate. :P
Island Nucklehead wrote: The reality is the Kings DO, RIGHT NOW, have short, medium, and long-term cap concerns that they'd likely have to figure out before adding that contract.
The reality is that swapping Richards' bad contract for Dion's bad contract doesn't affect any of that.

The reality is the Kings DO, RIGHT NOW need another Top 4 dee if they're going anywhere this year.

The reality is the Kings have tons of forward depth.

Are we having fun yet? :D
Island Nucklehead wrote: There's also the small fact that Sutter was the guy that shipped Phaneuf OUT of Calgary for a bunch of spare parts.
First good point you've made in this debate! :thumbs:

Yeah, I knew that and was surprised that Friedman created this rumour in the first place.

But hey, it gave us something fun to talk about amirite? :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I really don't see how Phaneuf at $7M is that much of an upgrade on Jake Muzzin at $4M. Same points, Muzzin plays more, scores more, and probably isn't nearly the same level of douche. :lol:
Nuck, comments like that are what will keep the Kings from taking Phanoof. Shhhhh !!!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Really wanting to get into the weeds eh? Toffoli will cost more than $2M. 54-point pace, likely closer to $3.5M. He'll be looking for Kadri ($2.9M) money. Pearson will likely be over $2M as well.
Kadri got $2.9M on a bridge deal because he scored at a 31-goal, 75 point pace in the shortened season.
When the salary cap was $64.3M. 4.5% of the cap. 4.5% of a $73M cap is $3.28M.
Island Nucklehead wrote:[
The reality is the Kings DO, RIGHT NOW, have short, medium, and long-term cap concerns that they'd likely have to figure out before adding that contract.
The reality is that swapping Richards' bad contract for Dion's bad contract doesn't affect any of that.

The reality is the Kings DO, RIGHT NOW need another Top 4 dee if they're going anywhere this year.

The reality is the Kings have tons of forward depth.

Are we having fun yet? :D
It's always a treat with you, Doc. Not really much else to add to this except that I don't expect LA to add salary, and while they do need a top-4 defensemen, there are much better options than a number 3 guy being paid number top-10 money. Is Richards all the leaves can get for Phaneuf? Doubtful. Why wouldn't LA just trade Richards for UFA-to-be Franson?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
When the salary cap was $64.3M. 4.5% of the cap. 4.5% of a $73M cap is $3.28M.
Yes but Toffoli is NOT on a 31-goal, 75 point pace. :P
Island Nucklehead wrote: while they do need a top-4 defensemen, there are much better options than a number 3 guy being paid number top-10 money. Is Richards all the leaves can get for Phaneuf? Doubtful.
So you're saying it's bad to trade for "a number 3 guy being paid number top-10 money"

... and...

... that this same dude/contract is worth more than Richards! LOL!!

Just kidding bro, I agree. :thumbs:

The deal would probably end up being Richards + prospect + pick... for.. Phaneuf.

But of course this is in Friedman Fantasyland.
____
Try to focus on someday.