Bieksa Out Long Term

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Bieksa Out Long Term

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So two righties on the bottom pair ? If Corrado is 7 maybe it works ?? I am done seeing Bieksa in the top 4 .
I like Juice and think he has a place on this team next year, but I also think we're a better team if he's playing 16-17 minutes a night instead of 21.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I absolutely don't want to piss assets away on Cody Franson . He isn't that good and will want 5.5-6 million per on an extension . He is a good pp guy but he's also a bit of a marshmallow .
World's biggest marshmallow has been laying people out for 2 seasons now (look up, way up).

Doesn't fight though, yeah he knows he sucks at fighting.

I wouldn't pay him $5.5-6M either.

We know that he wants to play for the Canucks... surely he's aware of Canucks' salary structure.

Still wants to play here.

If we go to 7 years FRONT-LOADED with a $4.5M cap-hit... he just might bite.

We'd hafta give him a NTC of course though.

Sign Tanev to 8 X $4.5M first. :)

I think Franson would look lovely here as a #4.

Yeah I think he would look a lot better once removed from the TO shitshow.

Okay, like most offensive dee, he has his share of brainfarts.

Not the greatest skater either, but better than most 6'5"ers.

He gives us what we need: A PPQB with an awesome shot.

He's not perfect by any means, but would be well worth the $4.5M IMESHO.

I think we all agree that if Bieksa is extended it's for less money in a reduced role.

Now about this hotshot kid of yours...

I'm amazed that long ago everyone pretty much gave up on Frankie and yet ALL OF A SUDDEN... ?? :crazy:

HEY, remember all that hype surrounding Corrado 2 years ago?

Well apparently it's back. :lol:

If Corrado somehow turns into a Top 4 NHLer within the next 1.5 seasons

... well I guess we could let Bieksa walk.

But at this particular point in time, odds are we're gonna be missing us some KB3 big time.

Unless of course... we trade for someone like Franson. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Just to add to what SL was saying...

The Sedins have become basically an assist machine, the sedinery power of playmaking & setting up awesome one timers for shooters, unfortunately the only good shooter we have is Vrbata and he's thriving!

Franson, a right handed shot, would probably become an all-star point producing machine, especially on our powerplay, helping Edler on the point and giving the Sedins another weapon to add to their arsenal....Cody should thrive here.

He just needs to take Bieksa's spot lol, as giving CF $4.5M ish per he should be getting top 4 minutes...but maybe for one season we can have Tanev, Juice & CF for our right side D, then KB's contract expires next year.
:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Franson is a slug, we are already too slow. A big wimp, don't want to do Jason Garrison all over again plus haven't we learned the dangers of trading for players from shitty organizations (Florida)? They are damaged goods, they bring that bad mojo with them
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Franson and O'Reilly are both interesting and could potentially add something to the team, but neither are real difference makers and will also be totally overpriced b/c the UFA market is a seller's market given that most potential UFAs re-sign with their teams. They'll both probably get crazy money thrown at them in July; crazy money the Canucks should not spend. If Franson wanted to be in Van enough to throw the team a real discount, maybe, but I just don't see that happening.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Morgan Reilly should have been drafted in the 2nd round. It's a massive crap shoot drafting a defenceman, sometimes you get lucky - Trouba, sometimes you don't - Dumba.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Strangelove wrote: Sign Tanev to 8 X $4.5M first. :)
Exactly ...

Franson is intruiging but re-signing Tanev should be Benning's no.1 priority for the d-core.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If you guys get irritated with Sbisas giveaways, you'd be going nuts with Fransons. He's a turnover machine. No way I'd tie up Franson with a big contract. He's a buy out potential if that's the case.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:If you guys get irritated with Sbisas giveaways, you'd be going nuts with Fransons. He's a turnover machine. No way I'd tie up Franson with a big contract. He's a buy out potential if that's the case.
How much would Sbisa get offered as a UFA this summer... if Canucks cut him loose?

How much will Franson get offered as a UFA this summer... if he's not re-signed?

:scowl:

If you're going to start comparing Sbisa to Franson, these are the kind of questions you're gonna face Dude.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"Turnover Machine" :scowl:

I don't follow advanced stats much, but I've heard Franson's are solid.

And he's been playing harder + harder minutes over the past few years.

All this while playing on a team that offers ridiculously little support from the forwards.

Not to mention the shitty partners Franson has had to endure...

Yeah, he'd look a lot better on a team like your Vancouver Canucks.

Like I've said before (Dude) if Franson could skate, we couldn't afford the salary he would command.

He has some warts, which is why he only gets $4.5M from me.

Hmmm I see he'll be 28 next season.

Okay, $4.5M X 5 years. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Franson has that potential as a PP quarterback, that is the upside, points and points on the PP.

Remember Ehrhoff

SJS dumped him as a salary dump. He was seen as expendable because he was a turn over machine with zero physicality. His nick name by SJS faithful was Error Hoff. Most were glad to see him go. He became the lynch pin in our PP, one of the best we have seen. Our PP has not been the sane since his departure and around these parts many never wanted to see him go and still want him back. His first year in Buffalo he was seen as a disappointment, a turn over machine with little physicality, a disappointment on a bad contract. Now he is back with a good team and is seen as an integral part of the Pens PP.

Franson will thrive on a better team where his role is well defined, he will get his points. On a bad team he is just one more up and down player. They key to him being successful in Vancouver is to have five other guys that can off set his style. We would have Tanev, Edler and Hamhuis. Maybe Corrado pans out. We would still have Bieksa and Sbisa. Too many guys there so if we go after Fransen we need to move one of the for mentioned .

I'm all for going after him in July but it has to be, as others have said, on a Hamhuis/Bieksa type deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Spizza + 2nd for pre-agreed $4.5M X 5 Franson + 4th. :thumbs:

Let's face it, Spizza belongs in Toronto. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:Spizza + 2nd for pre-agreed $4.5M X 5 Franson + 4th. :thumbs:

Can you see him and Dianna together?

I do like Sbisa's physical game. It's just when he, Bieksa and Edler are all turning the puck over on a regular basis it gets tiring. If it was only Sbisa we had to worry about. I haven't seen anything in his game that wants me to see him in our top four though. As a 5-6 guy ok, but top 4, that says we have little depth.

Let's say, for argument sake, we keep Edler, duh, Hamhuis re-signs a 2-3 year extension, Tanev gets re-signed and Corrado pans out. That's four. If Pedan develops into a reliable stay at home 5-6 guy as predicted, that's 5. I can't see much room for the likes of all f Bieksa, Stanton, Sbisa. One of them yes, but not all three. Doesn't leave us with much room, or need to go out and sign a non-franchise type of D'man.

We have a number of kids on the back end that will likely require a few years in Utica before they see the NHL. I think, the two keys are Tanev re-signing and Corrado panning out. If those two things happen I think we will have plenty of choices moving forward.

Bennng said the other day that although he has no problems asking a player with a NTC to waive, he feels all the players with a NTC are playing well and they have no immediate plans to trade any of them. Bieksa isn't going anywhere. The only question is if you want yo extend him or let him walk when his contract is up. I hope our defence is solid enough that when that day comes we can let him walk. Hamhuis I would like to extend.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:Spizza + 2nd for pre-agreed $4.5M X 5 Franson + 4th. :thumbs:

As for trading a 2nd, Benning has said that in this year's draft he sees it being deep enough that a really good prospect will be available in the second round. I doubt he trades our 2nd so easily.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Let's say, for argument sake, we keep Edler, duh, Hamhuis re-signs a 2-3 year extension, Tanev gets re-signed and Corrado pans out. That's four. If Pedan develops into a reliable stay at home 5-6 guy as predicted, that's 5. I can't see much room for the likes of all f Bieksa, Stanton, Sbisa. One of them yes, but not all three. Doesn't leave us with much room, or need to go out and sign a non-franchise type of D'man.
I wouldn't bet on Corrado + Pedan both becoming Top 5 guys.

Or either one for that matter.

Sbisa is gonna hafta agree to depth-dee wages or he's going to be GONE (likely).

Stanton is likely to remain a #7/8 defenseman for life.

If Hamhuis is extended for 2 more years (as you say) and KB3 is gone our dee might look like this 2 years from now:

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - NO ONE
NO ONE - NO ONE
Stanton - Corrado

I prefer this:

Edler $5M - Tanev $4.5M
Hamhuis $4.5M - Franson $4.5M
SOMEONE $2M - Bieksa $3M
Stanton $800K - Corrado $1.1M
Hockey Widow wrote: We have a number of kids on the back end that will likely require a few years in Utica before they see the NHL. I think, the two keys are Tanev re-signing and Corrado panning out. If those two things happen I think we will have plenty of choices moving forward.
I don't want to alarm you, but NONE of those kids are ever going to make it to the NHL.

But hey, if they do: TRADE BAIT :mrgreen:

Or maybe Subban + Tryamkin are ready for the NHL by the time the Hamhuis/Bieksa 2 yr extensions run out. :wink:
Hockey Widow wrote: Bennng said
:lol:

Would you buy the Port Mann Bridge from this man?

Yeahno, professional poker players are supposed to bluff.
____
Try to focus on someday.