Time to Change the Oil.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Time to Change the Oil.

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ESQ wrote: Given the way the fanbase has reacted to two years out of the playoffs, its quite clear that tanking all-out for the past 3 years wouldn't have been accepted. :lol:
Yeah no... the fanbase has reacted to poor asset management and a lack of a plan.
Yeah, I think that's a big part of the frustration. The "Canucks fans can't handle a rebuild" mantra is the same condescending garbage management tried to trot out when they were selling something nobody was buying. I wonder how the franchise will ever survive this rebuild :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ESQ wrote: Well, it worked in the sense that the roster has been re-made from top to bottom in 3 years with only 4 players remaining on the roster, only missed the playoffs twice, and have drastically improved the quality and depth of the farm system.

Given the way the fanbase has reacted to two years out of the playoffs, its quite clear that tanking all-out for the past 3 years wouldn't have been accepted. :lol:
Yeah no... the fanbase has reacted to poor asset management and a lack of a plan.
Yeah, I think that's a big part of the frustration.
Listen, you two are definitely entitled to your retarded opinion.

But can you see how said retarded opinion contrasts with that of the poster to whom you are responding?

Of course you can't.... but hey keep restating your retarded opinion until it becomes your reality amirite? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol great comeback Trevor.

"the fans can't handle a rebuild" said a captain who humiliated himself on home ice in the 96 games playoffs vs the Avs. Yeah I can see why Doc and Dud would get behind a fella like that . Yuck !!!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Lol great comeback Trevor.
UMMM it's not a "comeback" if I was not involved in the prior conversation there El Tardo. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: "the fans can't handle a rebuild" said a captain who humiliated himself on home ice in the 96 games playoffs vs the Avs.
'96 playoffs vs the Avs?

I do believe Trevor scored 4 goals + 4 assists in that series.

Not surprised you decided to change the subject, great comeback! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And he got ragdolled and bullied by Claude Lemieux in front of the hometown fans. Real Captain he was !!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

*sigh*

Let's try this again...
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ESQ wrote: Well, it worked in the sense that the roster has been re-made from top to bottom in 3 years with only 4 players remaining on the roster, only missed the playoffs twice, and have drastically improved the quality and depth of the farm system.

Given the way the fanbase has reacted to two years out of the playoffs, its quite clear that tanking all-out for the past 3 years wouldn't have been accepted. :lol:
Yeah, I think that's a big part of the frustration.
ESQ clearly stated there has been good asset management + plan (I painted it red).

You and Tweedledum appeared to completely miss that whilst stating the opposite.

Are you capable of a coherent conversation or was Iceman right about you? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ can say there is good asset management just like I can say that Edith Bunker was hot. The thing is we are bith full of shit. Elmer has not been good at managing his assets or the cap no matter how many times you say he has. You and ESQ are out to lunch.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The thing is we are both full of shit.
I disagree, ESQ is not full of shit!
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
ESQ clearly stated there has been good asset management + plan (I painted it red).

You and Tweedledum appeared to completely miss that whilst stating the opposite.

Thank you, good sir.

I did indeed point out there was a plan - it has been in place since Torts/Gillis were canned, it has been carried out, and now we have a virtually brand-new team.

You, Sir Blobbo, have a new team, a young team, and two lottery picks. I'm pretty that checks a lot of boxes in your definition of a rebuild. And it was done in 3 years.

The Oilers (coming back to the thread topic), also have a new team, a young team, and 6 lottery picks. It took them 10 years to accomplish that.

I stand by my statement that the only reason the Oilers' rebuild is over is because of a fluke luck at the lottery moving them from #3 (Dylan Strome) to McDavid.

Without that bit of incredible luck, there is no way the team is in the playoffs, notwithstanding Draisatl's emergence and the few (debatable) :lol: good moves Chiarelli made last summer.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Thank you, good sir.

I did indeed point out there was a plan - it has been in place since Torts/Gillis were canned, it has been carried out, and now we have a virtually brand-new team.

You, Sir Blobbo, have a new team, a young team, and two lottery picks. I'm pretty that checks a lot of boxes in your definition of a rebuild. And it was done in 3 years.

The Oilers (coming back to the thread topic), also have a new team, a young team, and 6 lottery picks. It took them 10 years to accomplish that.
So, rebuild complete? :lol: The Canucks are still a very bad hockey team, while the Oilers are listed amongst the favourites to win the Stanley Cup.

Your plan, as highlighted by Doc, essentially involves improving the prospect pool and turning over the roster. It conveniently ignores the "on the fly" aspect of the original strategy, which never sat well with many fans. That, and the smug insistence that it could be done while avoiding the bottoming out experienced by other teams, articulated in platitudes and cliches, was another source of frustration.

If turning over the roster and rebuilding the prospect pool is your definition of success, then management would've been much better off foregoing moves geared towards "remaining competitive" / "on the fly" (Vey, Sutter, Eriksson, Pedan, Prust, Dorsett etc.) in favour of even more prospects/picks. That still gives you a "brand new team" in addition to an even better prospect pool.
I stand by my statement that the only reason the Oilers' rebuild is over is because of a fluke luck at the lottery moving them from #3 (Dylan Strome) to McDavid.

Without that bit of incredible luck, there is no way the team is in the playoffs, notwithstanding Draisatl's emergence and the few (debatable) :lol: good moves Chiarelli made last summer.
Incredible? Luck has been involved in the Penguins success (Crosby lottery), the Hawks success (jumped 5 to 1 for Kane), the Maple leaves resurgence (20% shot at Matthews) and Edmonton is no different. I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion, other than to sound bitter/jealous about the recent lottery bounces going against Vancouver.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It all comes down to when the rebuild started...

-the apologists maintain that the early moves were indicative of a higher intellect shuffling about assets in ways only a true genius could comprehend.

...whereas...

-the critics maintain that it was bumbling and fumbling right up until this past trade deadline when regulars were traded for prospects.

So we need to throw sticks into the pile that represents where you stand and get on with it already.
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Your plan, as highlighted by Doc, essentially involves improving the prospect pool and turning over the roster.
That is. Literally. What a rebuild is.
It conveniently ignores the "on the fly" aspect of the original strategy, which never sat well with many fans.
We're presently 30% of the way through Edmonton's in-the-tank, tear-it-down rebuild timeline. Made the playoffs once in that span. I think that constitutes to "on the fly".

Even if the rebuild isn't over, and it takes, say, 2 more years for the Canucks to make the playoffs. That's still a short rebuild by NHL standards, particularly if its accomplished without winning the lottery.
Incredible? Luck has been involved in the Penguins success (Crosby lottery), the Hawks success (jumped 5 to 1 for Kane), the Maple leaves resurgence (20% shot at Matthews) and Edmonton is no different. I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion, other than to sound bitter/jealous about the recent lottery bounces going against Vancouver.
What it adds, and what my point was, is that Edmonton's rebuild wouldn't be over without said Incredible Luck. With any top-5 pick in 2014 other than McDavid, they are still in the toilet.

I make that point because Blobbo dug up my year-old post about the Oil to resuscitate this thread, with only the following commentary:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: :roll:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Your plan, as highlighted by Doc, essentially involves improving the prospect pool and turning over the roster.
Ahhh I see. So there is no requirement for the team to get any better, or the prospects to be any good, just keep rotating players out and adding to the farm. Clears things up. The Arizona Coyotes are the model.
We're presently 30% of the way through Edmonton's in-the-tank, tear-it-down rebuild timeline. Made the playoffs once in that span. I think that constitutes to "on the fly".

Even if the rebuild isn't over, and it takes, say, 2 more years for the Canucks to make the playoffs. That's still a short rebuild by NHL standards, particularly if its accomplished without winning the lottery.
lol they made the playoffs year one after a season of Torturella with a predominantly pre-Benning roster, and then proceeded to get worse each of the next two seasons. This is not a convincing argument for Benning's prowess at identifying talent or guiding his team with an eye to staying competitive.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: If turning over the roster and rebuilding the prospect pool is your definition of success, then management would've been much better off foregoing moves geared towards "remaining competitive" / "on the fly" (Vey, Sutter, Eriksson, Pedan, Prust, Dorsett etc.) in favour of even more prospects/picks.
But Pedan and Vey were "prospects" when acquired (ages 21 and 22 respectively).

Prust was the price one paid to unload the sinking SS Kassian.

Eriksson was a UFA (how does not-signing him get us more prospects/picks?).

I suppose you wanted a prospect/pick for Bonino and wanted to keep the 3rd given up for Dorsett

... and you have a right to that opinion.

(in my opinion Sutter + Dorsett are good for the rebuild)

Anyhoo, just wanted to comment on your constant whining about the "on the fly" bullshit.

It was just that... bullshit... designed to fool the CHARF (Can't Handle A Rebuild Fans).

Time to get over it my good man. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Your plan, as highlighted by Doc, essentially involves improving the prospect pool and turning over the roster.
Ahhh I see. So there is no requirement for the team to get any better
Try to focus on 1-2 years from now...
____
Try to focus on someday.