Time to Change the Oil.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Time to Change the Oil.

Post by Chef Boi RD »

They really are idiots in Edmonton. I keep thinking that Lowe knows a thing or two about winning and that visually, the Oilers are better than they are.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:And to add insult to injury, the German coach has come out and said they were all surprised that the kid made it to the NHL. Real surprised. Didn't consider him NHL ready and thought he would go back to junior. Had verbally discussed with someone in the Oilers organization that if the Oilers were out of a playoff spot by the Juniors they would make Leon available but when Germany came calling they were told it would be a backward step for his career, no development opportunity playing in the world's as opposed to playing in the NHL.

When we had the last lockout most of those kids got a chance to play together in the AHL. I remember how strong they were when the NHL resumed and the talk was about a loaded team. Guess they should have stayed in the AHL a little longer.
LOL. So he's been waiting for Leon to show up for camp since November?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

After seeing this

Someone should have done one with McDavid and Eichel

Win or Lose
Someone's gonna get
GREASED
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: It would be an interesting concept though, expand to 32 teams - but then drop the bottom two each year down to the AHL
Can you fathom a team like Carolina or Arizona surviving a relegation move? Some of these NHL teams only survive through revenue sharing and the league-wide TV deal. Do AHL teams lose $20M-$30M per season? I wonder how the Oilers, payroll $65,000,000, would fare against AHL teams whose total salaries are $3M-$4M.

For those of us that favour contraction, this might not be bad idea after all...
There would need to be a special "Oilers" rule stating that a team cannot get relegated to the AHL, AND have their AHL affiliate replace them in the NHL :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote: Punish the incompetent GM's and their lame scouting and piss poor developing and punish the tankers. One lottery ball for all 30 teams for the first round, how exciting is that?
Take it even farther. I'd love to see every team get a number of balls equal to how they finished. Oilers get 30. Cains get 29, etc. And, then pick for all 30 1st rounders. Once your team is drawn, your balls are out. Crappy team s tend to draft higher, but, tanking doesn't make sense in this scenario. And McEichel would have hope of not being an Oiler.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tciso wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: It would be an interesting concept though, expand to 32 teams - but then drop the bottom two each year down to the AHL
Can you fathom a team like Carolina or Arizona surviving a relegation move? Some of these NHL teams only survive through revenue sharing and the league-wide TV deal. Do AHL teams lose $20M-$30M per season? I wonder how the Oilers, payroll $65,000,000, would fare against AHL teams whose total salaries are $3M-$4M.

For those of us that favour contraction, this might not be bad idea after all...
There would need to be a special "Oilers" rule stating that a team cannot get relegated to the AHL, AND have their AHL affiliate replace them in the NHL :)
What if you had a second-tier league, but the winners of that league could still make the Stanley Cup playoffs?

That way you'd (theoretically) have better quality hockey in watching the best teams duke it out, but still have that glimmer of hope which has been keeping the Oilers fans alive for the last decade.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Leon is relegated
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Punish the incompetent GM's and their lame scouting and piss poor developing and punish the tankers. One lottery ball for all 30 teams for the first round, how exciting is that?
Take it even farther. I'd love to see every team get a number of balls equal to how they finished. Oilers get 30. Cains get 29, etc. And, then pick for all 30 1st rounders. Once your team is drawn, your balls are out. Crappy team s tend to draft higher, but, tanking doesn't make sense in this scenario. And McEichel would have hope of not being an Oiler.
Or Oilers get 14 , Canes get 13 etc to the highest non playoff team getting one ball. No need for solid playoff clubs to rake in top 5 picks . This way a team that finished 20th overall but still worked hard could get rewarded with a top 3 pick instead of just handing it to the Coilers every year .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ESQ wrote: What if you had a second-tier league, but the winners of that league could still make the Stanley Cup playoffs.
We have that - it's called the Eastern Conference. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol
Typical Oilers - Purcell, Roy fail to record a shot on 65-foot 2-on-0
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/673257
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Or Oilers get 14 , Canes get 13 etc to the highest non playoff team getting one ball. No need for solid playoff clubs to rake in top 5 picks . This way a team that finished 20th overall but still worked hard could get rewarded with a top 3 pick instead of just handing it to the Coilers every year .
That makes far too much sense,the league would never go for it.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dangler wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tciso wrote:
That makes far too much sense,the league would never go for it.
With the way the NHL operates, I'm surprised that the 1st overall pick doesn't automatically go to the team with the lowest attendance per game on the year. Nothing like the "next one" to boost ticket sales. :P

I'd determine the top-5 picks by lottery. I like the system where once you get your pick your out and the lottery continues and the remaining teams odds for the next pick go up.

30 - 10%
29 - 10%
28 - 10%
27 - 9%
26 - 9%
25 - 8%
24 - 8%
23 - 7%
22 - 7%
21 - 6%
20 - 6%
19 - 3.33%
18 - 3.33%
17 - 3.33%

After the top-5 are decided it just reverts to standings order.

Or Just include the bottom 10 teams and give them all an equal share in the lottery.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I would also reverse draft in the 2nd, 4th and 6th rounds. Just like pools.

Let the top team get the top pick in the 2nd round.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Larry Goodenough wrote:I would also reverse draft in the 2nd, 4th and 6th rounds. Just like pools.

Let the top team get the top pick in the 2nd round.

It used to me that, reverse order in the second round. But there were complaints from non playoff teams that the good teams were still getting good picks, like Zdetroit. It was changes, can't remember how long ago. Never understood the change then, still don't.

Teams that spend to the cap and try to ice contenders keep the league going. They need to be rewarded.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ESQ wrote: What if you had a second-tier league, but the winners of that league could still make the Stanley Cup playoffs?

That way you'd (theoretically) have better quality hockey in watching the best teams duke it out, but still have that glimmer of hope which has been keeping the Oilers fans alive for the last decade.

I'd envision it as the top 16 playoff teams in one division, and the bottom 14 (or fewer :) ) teams in the lower division. Every year, the top 12 from division One, and the top 4 from Division Two make the playoffs.

I like the concept of the format, and, the Oilers still wouldn't make the playoffs.