Time to Change the Oil.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Time to Change the Oil.

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Graphs link:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/05/03/th ... art-2/amp/

31. Jim Benning – Vancouver Canucks

GM Score (out of 5): 2.3
Best Attribute: Extensions
Worst Attribute: Player Development
Change in total GAR: -45%
Max GAR Ranking: 17th

It’s hard to discern whether Benning has been hamstrung by ownership, but no team has deteriorated more since 2013. The Canucks have gotten younger recently, but it’s unlikely guys like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser are going to be enough to turn the team around. While Benning did make some savvy trades at this year’s deadline, with the weight of his tenure stacked against him, it’s highly doubtful he’ll be able to see the Canucks’ rebuild through.
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The score rating Benning in the bottom as well...albeit an older article but from a more mainstream source if it matters...

31. Vancouver Canucks

Jim Benning is either in executive prison, and carrying out another's agenda, or Vancouver's obvious lack of mindful direction is his enormously misguided modus operandi.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/10646 ... nagers/amp
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

How about The Hockey News:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... l-30-teams

30. Vancouver Canucks
VAN It wasn’t even close. Dead last in five of six categories and second last in the other. The Jim Benning era has been the highest form of entertainment for every fanbase outside of Vancouver and an occasional gift giving event for some teams. The team is lost, with zero direction. They’re one of the league’s worst teams and somehow find themselves close to the salary cap. They’ve made a habit of losing every trade they’ve made recently. They’ve signed questionable deals meant to make them competitive when it’s clear to just about everyone else they’re anything but. There is simply no reason to be confident in what the Vancouver Canucks are doing right now.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

For me, the 14/15 season is one of the most regrettable in Canuck's history.
You could tell the hockey wasn't good or entertaining and yet they accumulated at least 12 or 13 more points
then they deserved.
It twisted minds. IMO. :(
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

So hammering away at Blob and IN for sharing a similar opinion to the rest of the hockey world doesn't plop them into a minority...unless you consider being a frequent poster on this here message board as the extent of the hockey universe (or you subscribe to the everyone conspires against us theory)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote:I think most Canucks fans are intelligent enough to understand that the Draft Lottery is the one element of the game that is pure luck, plain and simple.

Probably most Oilers fans are as well. I don't know what your's and Blobbo's major malfunction is on this point. It was pure luck that saw the Oilers get McDavid, and one full season with McD got them back in the playoffs for the first time since Dubya was president.
Exactly who is saying there is no luck involved? Pretty sure I said there was even more luck involved than that (luck in the lottery+ the quality of the draft year).

It's painful around these parts with the revisionist history and moving goalposts. First it was retooling while competitive, then it was rebuild on the fly, and now it's just rebuild. According to some, it's been a ravishing success on all fronts, or that a rebuild only means rotating players. The back-to-back cup champs only have 6 players remaining from Benning's first season (Canucks have 8), and Maata and Rust combined for 34 games in 14/15.

Might also be worth pointing out that this team has gotten progressively worse since Benning got here, also a bad trend, given his stated strategy. Anyways, this thread has been derailed enough, I'll second UDL and see myself out
Uncle dans leg wrote:Until this past trade deadline Benning has been making moves that indicate he sees a contender and proves it by adding pieces like Eriksson. He put gold spinners on his 87 hyundai pony.

This past deadline he finally made moves like GMs do when their teams suck the kind of ass this team has sucked.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:From: Canucks Way
Stop, never quote canuckway, they also recommend trading for old players etc, they lost all cred after that.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:From: Canucks Way
Stop, never quote canuckway, they also recommend trading for old players etc, they lost all cred after that.
I'm not waving any banners. I'm actually on board with the team direction now that they've veered off the weird path they were on...I'm only pointing out that Blob and island aren't out to lunch.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: First it was retooling while competitive, then it was rebuild on the fly, and now it's just rebuild.

According to some, it's been a ravishing success on all fronts, or that a rebuild only means rotating players.
Yup that's what happens when the big boss (aquabro's) were close to glory and wanted a new retool when they hired their youngerish management team.

And there's very few who see it as a "ravishing success on all fronts" in Canuck land, there's a ton of haters though across all boards/social media but have simmered down after the vets turned prospects/picks moves by JB.

Island Nucklehead wrote:Might also be worth pointing out that this team has gotten progressively worse since Benning got here, also a bad trend, given his stated strategy.
Also worth noting our "best players" the Sedins (whom are locked in with NMC's) have progressively gotten worse & they take the lions share of minutes here, and as the Sedins go is usually how our putrid offense goes, since this team hasn't had another scoring line really till Baertschi-Horvat started to cement themselves as legitimate scorers.

Island Nucklehead wrote: I'll second UDL and see myself out
Uncle dans leg wrote:Until this past trade deadline Benning has been making moves that indicate he sees a contender and proves it by adding pieces like Eriksson. He put gold spinners on his 87 hyundai pony.

This past deadline he finally made moves like GMs do when their teams suck the kind of ass this team has sucked.
Yup, the aquabro's the big honcho's who pay the big bucks to everyone finally digressed into the rebuild.

And now let the scout-mind GM do his work.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Finally I get it, Docs 1-2 years from now means we have new management and finally moving in the right direction.

Doc your a freaking genius.

Why didn't you explain it like that?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Anyways, this thread has been derailed enough, I'll second UDL and see myself out

Thanks for posting the present-day narrative of CHARF (Can't Handle A Rebuild Fans).

After 3 years of unplanned foot stomping, breathe holding, and shorts crapping

... these folk started to wonder about how they were ever going to get back on board with dignity.

So they created the narrative you have summarized above.

"Finally", they claimed, "GMJB made rebuild-type moves with Hansen/Burr for Goldobin/Dahlen!"

But sadly, that's complete bullshit.

GMJB has been GM of your Vancouver Canucks for 39 months now.

Here are some of the moves he made in just his first 13 months:

Kesler (31)… for… Bonino (27) Sbisa (25) 1st round pick.
Garrison (29)… for… 2nd
Lack (27)… for… 3rd + 7th
Bieksa (34)… for… 2nd

In the same time-frame he also brought in Pedan (21) Baertschi (22) Granlund (22)

Again, all of the above rebuilding moves were made in just his first 13 months!

All the above rebuilding moves were made 2-3 years before the Goldobin/Dahlen rebuilding moves...
Uncle dans leg wrote:So hammering away at Blob and IN for sharing a similar opinion to the rest of the hockey world doesn't plop them into a minority...unless you consider being a frequent poster on this here message board as the extent of the hockey universe
Yeah, we all know what’s going on out there Danny Boy! :lol:

No one ever claimed Blob and IN are in the minority.

As a matter of fact, yours truly has stated the opposite many times.

The majority of Canuck fans can’t handle a rebuild.

Non-Canucks-fans/media just echo said majority.

Is any of this getting through? :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:.

The majority of Canuck fans can’t handle a rebuild.

Non-Canucks-fans/media just echo said majority.

Is any of this getting through? :hmmm:
So the rest of the hockey world is just echoing what you are describing as hand wringing fans who cant stomach the unorthodox moves made by stealth genius Jim?

Right. :lol:

Doc, the reason the hockey media and most fans have had so little confidence in Jim Benning is because up until recently he's been making moves that dont make sense for teams in our position...and our position over that span is where the issue has been for Benning.

He saw another 100 point season coming after Calgary exposed the core so easily. Why? Why the fuck would he see the team that so desperately needed to be gutted as a contender?

This is and has been his issue IMHO...

Stomp your feet with your fingers in your ears all you want...he is still viewed as a shitty GM.
http://thehockeywriters.com/jim-benning ... s-problem/
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Thought I would quote the whole article....

(MOD SNIP)

(Sorry Dan, but most sites don't allow the quoting of entire articles)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol that article nails it and nails Linden and Elmer to the wall. Fans are good with the direction since the trade deadline but they aren't good with the disaster that went on from June 2014- until then. It was a shitshow and only a fucking idiot or a bald faced liar would consider the team in a rebuild until the last six months.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I hate Botchford but he was all over Linden like ugly on an ape.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”