Canucks at the Quarter Point

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by damonberryman »

The opposite of cynical is wisdom :D :D
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Right now the Canucks are sitting 7th overall in the league standings. I do think that teams behind us like Anaheim, Chicago, Boston (Chara set to return) and Los Angeles do pass us in the standings. Their core players average age is way less than ours and our enemy is keeping our older core healthy and strong

I project the Canucks to be drafting 18th overall at best, 22nd overall at worst. It's a very deep draft, we are still getting a player in that range. Hell, we landed a McCann in the mid twenties in a weaker draft class than the 2015 class. But it's startling to look like the 2014 1st round was deeper than most expected
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

damonberryman wrote:It is as if many of our fans, including those on this site cannot find the courage to back the team with whatever emotional resonance the result may incur. I read all sorts of long reasoned posts about how we are mediocre but the future is so bright we gotta wear shades. In my opinion that allows the fan to avoid the terrible fallout when we fail such as a couple of years ago.
Here here. I definitely fell into that category - I spend so much time looking at stats to make sure that this is real, that it's not just a fluke like the Avalanche last year.

As HW pointed out, there are many areas for improvement. But, I'm very happy to see the Canucks doing so well in so many areas of the game, and seeing improvement in their weak areas (like faceoffs).

One thing I noticed last season was how many unassisted goals Kesler scored, or goals where his linemates got no points, because he would blaze in their and try to do everything himself. It struck me that nobody really wanted to play with him anymore.

When we were all analyzing the Kesler trade, I thought it was addition by subtraction, and I think that has definitely been the case. The loss of his faceoff skills and "intangibles" is more than replaced by having a 2nd line that plays as a unit and produces offence from each player.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: I project the Canucks to be drafting 18th overall at best, 22nd overall at worst. It's a very deep draft, we are still getting a player in that range. Hell, we landed a McCann in the mid twenties in a weaker draft class than the 2015 class. But it's startling to look like the 2014 1st round was deeper than most expected
It's really going to depend on our health. We don't have the depth of teams like LA or Chicago, or the young players on the verge of NHL jobs like Anaheim. We really can't afford to replace any of our top-6 players if they go down for an extended period. Hamhuis' injury has stretched our "D" and further injuries to the back-end could be crippling. Still just enjoying the ride, not getting too high or too low.

As for the draft pick, there should be plenty of good players left in that range. D-men like Matt Spencer (6'2, 190, Peterborough) or Brandon Carlo (6'5, 200, Tri-Cities) or Rasmus Andersson (6'0, 215, Barrie) could all go there as well as big forwards like Paul Bittner (6'4, 200, Portland), Mikko Rantanen (6'4, 195, Fin) or Jordan Greenway (6'4, 215, US NTDP).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

If you are going to asses the team at the quarter point (25 games after the eastern road trip would be better so I may revise) you need to look at the individuals.

NICK BONINO -done what he he was said he would bring A
ALEXANDRE BURROWS -inconsistent but better than last ear B-
DEREK DORSETT -meat & potatoes B
JANNIK HANSEN -all over the place C+
CHRIS HIGGINS -consistancy is his game B
BO HORVAT -for a rookie he gets a B+
ZACK KASSIAN -not ready for prime time yet but a little better 200' C+
SHAWN MATTHIAS -the new Ballard? C-
BRAD RICHARDSON -meh C
DANIEL SEDIN -better but needs more finish B+
HENRIK SEDIN -leading again A-
TOM SESTITO -poor Tom :( n/a
LINDEN VEY -Schroder/Kariya clowne D
RADIM VRBATA -as average advertised B+
KEVIN BIEKSA -heavy shoulders but succeeding B+
ALEXANDER EDLER -still doubts B-
DAN HAMHUIS -it's always Hammer time A
LUCA SBISA -inconsistent B
RYAN STANTON -small sampling but ok C+
CHRISTOPHER TANEV -Hammer Jr. B+
YANNICK WEBER -not winning or losing fans C+
EDDIE LACK -not Cory's replacement C-
RYAN MILLER -Doing it within the system B+

And it wouldn't be complete without grading the management

TREVOR LINDEN -for setting in place the future A
JIM BENNING -good start, too early too tell A-
WILLIE DEJARDINS -what can be said but he knows wtf he is doing on all levels and works with ragtags A+

No one predicted they would be where they are right now. No one. So I am not the only surprised one.
Even the blind idiots that have Leafitus and predict Cup success EVERY year didn't. 8-)

So the early success (and we all remember it's a looooong season) I would attribute not to the players individual play (none of them are having particularly career years per say but to the one and only man that is running this show...Coach Willie. He may even be cursed with an award if they squeak into the playoffs :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Arachnid wrote: SHAWN MATTHIAS -the new Ballard? C-
Are you serious?? Matthias has improved so much in the last 3-4 weeks. If I don't make a mistake, he was a centre playing left wing on the third line. It took him sometimes to adjust and he is finally playing some good hockey. On the other hand, Ballard could never adjust to the Canucks system.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Spidey, did you Bell curve those?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
As for the draft pick, there should be plenty of good players left in that range. D-men like Matt Spencer (6'2, 190, Peterborough) or Brandon Carlo (6'5, 200, Tri-Cities) or Rasmus Andersson (6'0, 215, Barrie) could all go there as well as big forwards like Paul Bittner (6'4, 200, Portland), Mikko Rantanen (6'4, 195, Fin) or Jordan Greenway (6'4, 215, US NTDP).
Yeah like that list, hence the size. Bittner intrigues me as well as Greenway cause they are big skilled forward types. Another big power forward type I like is Lawson Crowse but he may go top 10. Some of those players should be available if we are drafting 18th to 22nd

I think the top 10 will go

McDavid
Eichel
Hanafin
Marner
Strome
Kylington
Zacha
Barzal
Werenski
Crowse

Some players who could be available to us

Merkely
Konecny
Connor
White
Bittner
Greenway
Provonov
Evgeny
Carlo
Rantanan
Bracco
Jeremy Roy
Harkins
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

While I'm a big fan of taking the Best Player Available, if there's a photo-finish I'd prefer the Canucks take a d-man. Ours is aging, has always been prone to injury, and lacks blue-chip prospects moving forward. The one kid on that list that could be a fast riser is Andersson. He put up 13 points against men with Malmo last season, and has 18 in 23 games with Barrie so far this season. Seems like the slick puck-mover we could use, and while he's not Edler-sized, at 6'0 215 he's not terribly undersized for an offensive-minded guy.

If Konecky is there for us I'd be shocked. He's a tad undersized, but the talent is there.

That top-10 shows why this draft is considered the best since 2003.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Konecny started out slow but has been on fire lately. He plays a big game though like Merkley who isn't very big either. Konecny is Bo Horvats cousin. This Provorov defenseman in the WHL is good too. Jeremy Roy is a slick d-man but is smallish at 6-0'.

I agree though you take the best player available but our D prospect pool is extremely shallow, could see us taking a D prospect in the 1st
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Spidey, did you Bell curve those?
Not wearing reddish glasses when typing :)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mondi wrote:Some those grades are way too low. The team is one point out of first overall in the NHL. Given last year, the team is an A-/A for the season so far.

In particular, Matthias and Vey.

I have no idea where all the hate for Vey comes from, the guy's a raw rookie. He's got excellent offensive skills. What more do you want from a guy like Vey? He's been .5 ppgs+ until very recently. Schroder and Kariya were complete plugs, who got a long time to work their shit out. He makes peanuts, he will improve. Vey will be fine.

And if you watch Matthias out there, he looks fantastic. As big, and as fast as Kassian but he'll take the puck to the net (perhaps not as volatile). I'll admit I thought Matthias was a throw-in in that trade and a plug. But, he's been excellent for a 3L winger over the last few weeks. We haven't had a third line like the one we have in now in years.
Too low? I was being nice (objectively honest too 8-) ).

Matthias has been OK but not spectacular. If you go to the net you have to actually score or make sure no one does on you. Ask Burrows, Hansen and Zack that..

23 4 3 7 -8

-8? on a high scoring team :eh:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I agree, Arachnid your grades on Vey and Matthias are too low and you're grade on Kassian is too high. Stanton a C+??? uhhh....no
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:I agree, Arachnid your grades on Vey and Matthias are too low and you're grade on Kassian is too high. Stanton a C+??? uhhh....no
Well, let's see your report card then Mountain Man 8-)

lol Vey and MaiThai get a few points tonight as losers and all of a sudden they are hot and untouchables

Long season man, will update the rates at 45 gp mark

Stick to music & markets :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Slowly some of the less fortunate have moved from their McDavid fantasies to "Said all along: bubble team".

:roll:

But the Great Strangelove has never wavered (true, there were a few other playoff-predictors).
Arachnid wrote: No one predicted they would be where they are right now. No one.
Well the Great Strangelove raised the possibility of going "from the outhouse back to the penthouse" a few times.

(that's probably why they call him "Great"!) :thumbs:

There were a few telling you less fortunate Tank-it folk that the Canucks would make the playoffs.

You are guilty of not listening then and you are guilty of being in denial now.

This is the verdict:

Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

- John 3:19

REPENT YE FROM THOU WICKEDNESS!!!

Arachnid on Wed Sep 24, 2014 wrote:I will cheer for them to lose
:scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.