Jersey Ads = done deal

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Jersey Ads = done deal

Post by ClamRussel »

It looks almost comical. Ya, I imagine the ads will be on the replica jerseys as well. That will be the big selling point to prospective customers. Fans running around w/ billboards all over them.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ClamRussel wrote:It looks almost comical. Ya, I imagine the ads will be on the replica jerseys as well. That will be the big selling point to prospective customers. Fans running around w/ billboards all over them.
Works for NASCAR. :lol:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Agree with CR. I don't want to see garbage all over the jerseys.
Want to save money NHL teams?...stop offering ridiculous contracts to scrubs like David Clarkson every summer.
That's not how it works.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:Equipment is just that, branded. The manufacturer sticks their own name on it. Not really the same thing as putting a McDonalds logo on a jersey that McDonalds has nothing to do with other than paying to put their name there.
Really? So when Nike bought up Bauer and started putting the swoosh all over equipment, that wasn't an attempt to advertise their brand to a larger market? How about when Reebok bought up the company that owned Koho and CCM? Doing some light reading it looks like the jerseys are still made in the same place they were years before Reebok were involved so how is this not just another corporate logo slapped onto an ubiquitous product to get more eyes onto it? We can ask the same questions when Reeboks parent company (Adidas) pulls the same move in a couple of years.

And I mean we could sit around arguing about exactly where "the line" is but the point is we're already into a grey area.

Anyway, anyone that's set foot in an NHL rink in the last five years (nevermind a season ticket holder like yourself) is keenly aware of the lengths franchises will go to in order to make a few bucks off of a captive audience, frankly I'd take jersey ads over a lot of the stuff to which the paying customers are already subjected.

This sacred cow stuff is just.. it's so quaint that people think there is some integrity left to lose. Go find a pond hockey game and watch that if you want sacred, because you're a few decades too late if you want to watch an NHL that hasn't been tainted by avarice.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

dbr wrote:This sacred cow stuff is just.. it's so quaint
ahhh yes, the good old days, when nothing bad ever happened.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:
This sacred cow stuff is just.. it's so quaint that people think there is some integrity left to lose. Go find a pond hockey game and watch that if you want sacred, because you're a few decades too late if you want to watch an NHL that hasn't been tainted by avarice.
Boom!

Would any of y'all trade a Canuck Stanley Cup for ads on jerseys?
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

donlever wrote:
dbr wrote:
Boom!

That's unfair...you play dirty ;)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote:
dbr wrote:
Boom!

Oh Lucifer Lever, you and your temptations.....
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

It's a slippery slope. First it will be a small ad or two, then it will be a large ad front-and-centre with "our" logo sidelined to the top-right corner as in the EPL.

Well, at least we still have the Olympics.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

5thhorseman wrote:It's a slippery slope. First it will be a small ad or two, then it will be a large ad front-and-centre with "our" logo sidelined to the top-right corner as in the EPL.

Ahh yes, the unsullied world of amateur sport, carefully shepherded through the perils of modern commerce with its reputation unblemished by the irreproachable IOC.. :blush:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

dbr wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:It's a slippery slope. First it will be a small ad or two, then it will be a large ad front-and-centre with "our" logo sidelined to the top-right corner as in the EPL.

Ahh yes, the unsullied world of amateur sport, carefully shepherded through the perils of modern commerce with its reputation unblemished by the irreproachable IOC.. :blush:
Sacrasm rains subpreme
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:
Mëds wrote:Equipment is just that, branded. The manufacturer sticks their own name on it. Not really the same thing as putting a McDonalds logo on a jersey that McDonalds has nothing to do with other than paying to put their name there.
Really? So when Nike bought up Bauer and started putting the swoosh all over equipment, that wasn't an attempt to advertise their brand to a larger market? How about when Reebok bought up the company that owned Koho and CCM? Doing some light reading it looks like the jerseys are still made in the same place they were years before Reebok were involved so how is this not just another corporate logo slapped onto an ubiquitous product to get more eyes onto it? We can ask the same questions when Reeboks parent company (Adidas) pulls the same move in a couple of years.

And I mean we could sit around arguing about exactly where "the line" is but the point is we're already into a grey area.

Anyway, anyone that's set foot in an NHL rink in the last five years (nevermind a season ticket holder like yourself) is keenly aware of the lengths franchises will go to in order to make a few bucks off of a captive audience, frankly I'd take jersey ads over a lot of the stuff to which the paying customers are already subjected.

I get what you're saying DBR. But those are poor examples. Reebok, Adidas, CCM, Nike, Bauer, etc.....when it comes to having their brand on the equipment and apparel, well they make the stuff for the game. Obviously their business is making money, but they it's by making sports related products.

My issue is with the giant corporate logos that would get splashed all over the jerseys, looking hideous, and having nothing to do with the product that the customer, the fans, is paying to see. That's all.

And to be honest, I'm probably just worried that they will go the way of the Euro leagues with it. Keeping corporate sponsorship logos small and "out of the way" is something that I could probably live with. The AHL already has sponsors that stick their logo on the jersey on the front of the shoulder. And I think I've seen the odd one with a McD's logo on the hem. I think that's about as far as I would ever want to see that go. Keeping them on the hem of the jersey I could live with. But shit like.....

.....that's what I'm talking about when I say hell no.

And I've always thought it to be hilarious when the corporate sponsors of professional sports leagues are products like Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds, etc. Shit that these athletes probably wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because it runs completely counter to athletic fitness and performance. It's just one of those ironies. Not that I don't understand why it happens and the target audience. But tell me you can't roll your eyes when you here "Brought to you by McDonald's, the official restaurant of the NHL." :P
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

It's pretty sad... no question. How much money do these ads actually generate? Is it really worth it? I could see some of the small semi-pro(?) euro clubs selling ad space to help pay for basics like travel, but how much is the NHL going to gain in the end? And at the cost of losing whatever traditional look that still remains.

This year Manchester United has the Chevy logo plastered on their jersey, and Juventus has Jeep. It looks terrible. This has to be a North American bias... it doesn't seem so bad when it's Aon, Fly Emirates or T-Mobile - but it still looks terrible.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:I get what you're saying DBR. But those are poor examples. Reebok, Adidas, CCM, Nike, Bauer, etc.....when it comes to having their brand on the equipment and apparel, well they make the stuff for the game. Obviously their business is making money, but they it's by making sports related products.
Adidas and Nike don't make this stuff.. and hell, there was a time when CCM did make this stuff and did not put their corporate logo on it.
My issue is with the giant corporate logos that would get splashed all over the jerseys, looking hideous, and having nothing to do with the product that the customer, the fans, is paying to see. That's all.

And to be honest, I'm probably just worried that they will go the way of the Euro leagues with it. Keeping corporate sponsorship logos small and "out of the way" is something that I could probably live with. The AHL already has sponsors that stick their logo on the jersey on the front of the shoulder. And I think I've seen the odd one with a McD's logo on the hem. I think that's about as far as I would ever want to see that go. Keeping them on the hem of the jersey I could live with. But shit like.....

.....that's what I'm talking about when I say hell no.
Well go ahead and have a problem with it, it's coming. Maybe it'll take long enough that our kids will be the ones pissing and moaning about how an advertisement up near the shoulder is fine, "but putting it in the centre of the jersey is completely different" but it's coming nonetheless.

The NHL and its franchisees are for-profit businesses, and there's profit to be had in selling off every last square inch of perceptible space to advertisers - as long as it's a slow enough creep that they can avoid chasing off customers.
And I've always thought it to be hilarious when the corporate sponsors of professional sports leagues are products like Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds, etc. Shit that these athletes probably wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because it runs completely counter to athletic fitness and performance. It's just one of those ironies. Not that I don't understand why it happens and the target audience. But tell me you can't roll your eyes when you here "Brought to you by McDonald's, the official restaurant of the NHL." :P
Yeah it's a particularly acute form of the irony in most advertisement.

The trouble is, if Coke and Pepsi advertised using imagery of their most passionate consumers (fat desk jockeys who crack their first can at 9:30 AM and haven't had a glass of water in the last two weeks), or McDonalds, or WalMart or Rogers or anyone else did the same... people wouldn't want to buy their shit to be more like the people in the ads. Truth in advertising, right..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Puck wrote:It's pretty sad... no question. How much money do these ads actually generate? Is it really worth it? I could see some of the small semi-pro(?) euro clubs selling ad space to help pay for basics like travel, but how much is the NHL going to gain in the end? And at the cost of losing whatever traditional look that still remains.
I'm becoming too active in this thread but... could you put a dollar value on that, please? :P