Another day, another Markstrom shutout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Another day, another Markstrom shutout

Post by ClamRussel »

With his 4th shutout in 5 starts I stand by my preseason stance this guy is NHL ready.
5-0-0 0.82 GAA .968 SA% It's almost not fair for those poor AHL shooters.

http://www.uticacomets.com/gameday-come ... s-3-5-2-0/
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Another day, another Markstrom shutout

Post by Jovocop »

Having a goalie coach definitely helps Markstrom's game. Also, passing the waiver was a huge wakeup call for Markstrom when nobody wants you for free... I am glad that he finally wakes up and plays well.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:Having a goalie coach definitely helps Markstrom's game. Also, passing the waiver was a huge wakeup call for Markstrom when nobody wants you for free... I am glad that he finally wakes up and plays well.

I didn't see it as a wake up call as much as an opportunity. After his time in Florida and his few games in Vancouver he needed to be a starter and have NHL calibre coaching. It was a blessing for his NHL career that he cleared waivers and went to Utica.

He was always touted as a better prospect with more potential to make the NHL than was Lack. Lack's good fortune was to become Canuck property and have a chance to properly develop his pro game. Markstrom on the other hand went to Florida. Enough said.

He has no pressure right now, other than the normal pressure associated with his sport and position that is. He is where he needed to be. He has the opportunity to get his game back , be consistent, play a ton of games, regain his confidence and get noticed. Next year is a contract year and if he continues to play like he is no way he clears waivers again next season. I think he and his agent know he will get a shot to back up, somewhere in the NHL next season. So for now he can continue to work on his game, enjoy the ride and look forward to another NHL opportunity at the very latest, next season. Besides he is on a one way contract so he is earning big bucks right now.

I think Lack has more pressure on him and more than he did last season. Expectations are higher and with the start the club has had, and his 0-3 start, he has to be feeling it. Just one solid win will help Lack immensely right now. Markstrom doesn't have that pressure yet.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lack plus a forward for help on defense?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Don't hold your breath SKYO.
Had a funny conversation with a GM last weekend. Heard he was looking for a defenceman. He responded with, “Everyone is looking for a defenceman.” Montreal is checking to see what’s out there. The decimated Rangers are bringing in Tomas Kaberle, with no contract offer. Philadelphia’s search, before signing Carlo Colaiacovo, was exhaustive. “Name someone,” one agent said. “They considered him.” The same GM quoted above talked to a team with eight, one-way contracts on its blueline, only to be told none were available. “They wanted to keep all of them,” he said.
Link

I can't think of too many NHL teams looking to acquire a fairly green goaltender with little in the way of pedigree, that can spare an NHL defenseman and/or don't mind risking their season by opening a huge hole on the blueline.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Once again Markstrom is the best goalie not playing in the NHL. He's been there before.

I don't see him displacing the current rotation in Vancouver anytime soon.

He's a bargaining chip/trade sweetener and nothing more.

I remember far too well his WJC meltdown.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:Don't hold your breath SKYO.
Had a funny conversation with a GM last weekend. Heard he was looking for a defenceman. He responded with, “Everyone is looking for a defenceman.” Montreal is checking to see what’s out there. The decimated Rangers are bringing in Tomas Kaberle, with no contract offer. Philadelphia’s search, before signing Carlo Colaiacovo, was exhaustive. “Name someone,” one agent said. “They considered him.” The same GM quoted above talked to a team with eight, one-way contracts on its blueline, only to be told none were available. “They wanted to keep all of them,” he said.
Link

I can't think of too many NHL teams looking to acquire a fairly green goaltender with little in the way of pedigree, that can spare an NHL defenseman and/or don't mind risking their season by opening a huge hole on the blueline.
Byfuglien ftw. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Markström has been considered our most promising goalie since Lundquist, so most Swedes have wondered why he hasn't been able to prove himself in the NHL yet.
Maybe his time has finally arrived.
I guess he now holds the AHL record for longest shutout?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Per wrote: I guess he now holds the AHL record for longest shutout?

No, the streak was broken the other night

You do wonder how committed the Canucks are to Markstrom...he's been splitting the starts with Erikson. You would think the Comets would be riding the hot hand and perhaps rebuild his value up a bit.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Vader wrote:
Per wrote: I guess he now holds the AHL record for longest shutout?

No, the streak was broken the other night

You do wonder how committed the Canucks are to Markstrom...he's been splitting the starts with Erikson. You would think the Comets would be riding the hot hand and perhaps rebuild his value up a bit.
It seems to me, just by looking at the leaderboard, that most of the top goalies are getting similar amounts of minutes. Malcom Subban, another touted goalie prospect, has played less. Peter Budaj has been splitting time with Connor Hellebuyck. At first glance, it seems like AHL teams rotate their goalies much more frequently.

Travel and compressed schedule kind of necessitate it. One look at the Comets schedule, and you'll notice they play back-to-back nearly every weekend and a lot of their games run the Wednesday-Friday-Saturday routine.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah they definitely ride goalies a lot less down there.

Last year 20 NHL teams gave their starter at least 60% of their games, and that's excluding Jon Quick (and Cory Schneider, obviously less established but the Brodeur situation was an anomaly). The year before, 20.

Last year 8 AHL teams rode their starter that hard (in fairness a handful more gave their #1 45 games which is like 59.2% of the schedule) and the year before it was 10.

Even still, Eriksson probably has a place in the Canucks plans even with Miller/Lack/Markstrom in front of him.. that's not going to continue forever and if you believe Rollie Melanson's recent comments all four goaltenders could be in the NHL before too much longer.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

dbr wrote:Yeah they definitely ride goalies a lot less down there.
When the parent club is one injury away from stealing your #1 goalie, you can't afford to let your backup get too rusty.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Vader wrote:You do wonder how committed the Canucks are to Markstrom...he's been splitting the starts with Erikson. You would think the Comets would be riding the hot hand and perhaps rebuild his value up a bit.
Eriksson is no slouch either, he's quietly putting together a solid season as well. Stopped 29 of 30 shots in last night's 4-1 win over the Monsters. Nothing wrong w/ splitting games, when's the last time the baby Canucks were first in the entire AHL? At 9-1-2, it seems to be working.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Another win tonight, 3-2 over the Americans. Markstrom was solid again, stopping 33/35 and kept his GAA below 1 w/ his 6th W.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Vader wrote:
It seems to me, just by looking at the leaderboard, that most of the top goalies are getting similar amounts of minutes. Malcom Subban, another touted goalie prospect, has played less. Peter Budaj has been splitting time with Connor Hellebuyck. At first glance, it seems like AHL teams rotate their goalies much more frequently.

Travel and compressed schedule kind of necessitate it. One look at the Comets schedule, and you'll notice they play back-to-back nearly every weekend and a lot of their games run the Wednesday-Friday-Saturday routine.
So, is Markstrom hurt? Eriksson now has 17 GP to Markstrom's 9 despite inferior numbers. Unless he's hurt, it sounds like this Canucks regime doesn't think much of Markstrom....